IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

IPPlanMan to en103

to en103

Re: The Drone Speak Continues

LTE has to do with the fact that AT&T hasn't made itself competitive with its own resources and capital.

- Verizon was able to accomplish an LTE network buildout to 190 cities in about a Year, with construction going on nationwide.

- For comparison, the Empire State Building was built in 1 Year and 45 days, with construction all on one site.

The best that AT&T can do is LTE to 15 cities? Seriously? With the Billions they've got and the "cupcake" lobbying army?

The best thing that could happen right now is a T-Mobile iPhone...
Please bring it Apple...
en103
join:2011-05-02

1 recommendation

en103

I'd personally love to see a T-Mobile 3G/4G iPhone.

If AT&T wasn't competitive... they'd be losing customers, not gaining them. It'd be better to say that AT&T is not consumer friendly. Can companies like AT&T deploy more LTE.. sure. Do they 'need' to - hell no. Does Verizon need to - hell yeah. VZW's (as well as Sprint) are at the end of the life cycle of CDMA 1x/EVDO.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

Verizon seems to have a very different corporate culture than AT&T. AT&T has at times made changes to their network that have negatively impacted existing users. Moving GSM off cellular bands and onto PCS for instance. Some people went to bed with four bars and woke up with none because of this change. They did the same when they were in the process of transitioning away from the TDMA network. I can't recall Verizon ever doing anything like this.

Verizon also seems to make more of an effort to invest in their infrastructure. 190 cities with LTE? FiOS deployments? What has AT&T done?

I'm not a Verizon shrill by any means -- I dislike their arrogance a great deal. It's just that the choice between them and AT&T is not a particularly hard one to make. Both will bend you over but the difference is Verizon won't skip town when you get pregnant...

Anyway, AT&T may be competitive amongst the masses but for those in the know it's a different story. Hell, even non-technical folks in certain markets have wised up to AT&T's nonsense. You don't have to be a techie to understand dropped calls and a congested network (ever known an AT&T user in New York City?)...