how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jchapura
Premium
join:2004-01-14
Grand Prairie, TX

How to enable telephone lines on Pace 2Wire 3801HGV?

I just got ATT U-verse TV and their High Speed Internet. Their equipment is called a residential gateway (RG) and it's a Pace (2Wire) 3801HGV. It's a VDSL modem, router, analog telephone adapter (ATA), WiFi transceiver all-in-one.

I already have an ATA for VoIP - a Linksys/Cisco SPA2012. I already have a VoIP provider. ATT Voice is too expensive in comparison (even bundled).

My question - in the RG setup web application, there are some pages that minimally expose the two telephone lines that are in the 3801HGV package - does anyone know how to "enable" them so I can configure them with my VoIP provider's and my account's info? Then I can go ahead and sell the SPA2012.

Alternatively, is their a way to put my SPA2012 "at the head of the line" - right after the VDSL modem so I can take advantage of the QoS stuff so voice won't suffer when I have a lot of traffic on my network? In this configuration, a subalternative might be to go from the 3801HGV Ethernet port (and use no other of these ports) to the SPA2012 and then to my original Linksys router/WiFi combo, and also turning off the WiFi in the 3801HGV.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
said by jchapura:

there are some pages that minimally expose the two telephone lines that are in the 3801HGV package - does anyone know how to "enable" them so I can configure them with my VoIP provider's and my account's info?

I can't help you with this
said by jchapura:

Alternatively, is their a way to put my SPA2012 "at the head of the line" - right after the VDSL modem so I can take advantage of the QoS stuff so voice won't suffer when I have a lot of traffic on my network?

This can't be done the 3801 will always be the first router
said by jchapura:

In this configuration, a subalternative might be to go from the 3801HGV Ethernet port (and use no other of these ports) to the SPA2012 and then to my original Linksys router/WiFi combo, and also turning off the WiFi in the 3801HGV

The 2wire has a dmzplus option which will share the public ip address with the designated dmzplus device

Also since the spa2012 is a router you can reconfigure the wireless router to work like a access point

jchapura
Premium
join:2004-01-14
Grand Prairie, TX
To wrap this up, I did connect my three devices in a chain, and added switch because I ran out of ports:

3801 (turned off wireless; 192.168.1.254)
|
\/
SPA2102 (is in the DMZplus mode of the 3801; 192.168.2.1; this device is my router, handing out IPs; have reserved some bandwidth for VoIP when handset in use)
|
\/
old-ish Netgear switch (just needed more ports)
|
\/
WRT54GS (as a switch and wireless access point) (LAN address is 192.168.2.100) (using this as my WAP would save having to re-add all my MACs for security purposes, etc.)

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
The linksys software won't allow the internet port to be a lan port
If the linksys can run ddwrt software ddwrt has a option to convert the internet port to a lan port