uniqs
share rss forum feed

ClearToLand

join:2002-12-20
South Plainfield, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS

Is There an Alternative to the SiliconDust Channel Database?

I just unsuccessfully spent some time searching the SiliconDust Provider/Channel Database for a list of Verizon FiOS channels in or around my town. I even tried:

GOOGLE: Verizon OR FiOS Town1 OR Town2 OR Town3 site:silicondust.com

several times with around a dozen different town names, but the closest I can up with was 07302/Jersey City - ~15 miles away.

Searching the SiliconDust Forum, I found a few interesting tidbits I wasn't previously aware of:

•Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:53 pm
said by nickk :

ABOUT THE LINEUP SERVER
We maintain lineup server to identify and name TV channels that can be received; this information is provided as a courtesy for our users.

Most US and Canadian cable providers do not send the name or virtual channel number of a channel along with the video stream. Without the lineup server, a channel scan will detect the channels but not be able to identify and match channels with the guide data. The purpose of the lineup server is to provide channel information for automatically matching channels with the guide data.

•Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:00 am
said by jasonl :

Data on the lineup server is compiled based on all the user submissions a few times each day. Different lineups appear based on different channels being detected, which can occur because there are multiple headends serving the zip code, because something changed on the provider's lineup in the last few days, or because some people are unable to view certain channels. Data is automatically cycled out if no one has seen a particular channel in the last 48 hours.

•Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:08 pm
said by ebo :

You can see if the SiliconDust Lineup Server has a listing for FiOS in your zip code. However, the lineup server hasn't been updating properly for a while so the listing may not be accurate.

|
Bottom Line: The SiliconDust Provider/Channel Database is AUTOMATICALLY populated by the user's SiliconDust hardware. And, it looks like Verizon FiOS isn't all that popular with SiliconDust Users in Central NJ.

I'm now going to try AVS Forums...
--
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950) LM