Search similar:

uniqs

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

My first IT job and this is what I got to work with...

Click for full size
Working on the cities wifi through a dozen vlans.....joy because I haven't touched some of this stuff in a year. I look forward to the learning experience.

To this I say challenge accepted.

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

1 recommendation

state

Mod

Looks like a Skittles commercial.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

BACONATOR26 to michieru

Premium Member

to michieru
.. Taste the bits?

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to michieru

Premium Member

to michieru
Looks like my server room at work. Oh joy of joys!
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to michieru

to michieru
That ain't too bad actually. Just needs serious cable management.

Not too scary. Almost looks fun for a first job! Congrats!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to michieru

Premium Member

to michieru
Pink patch cable - wow.
Looks like whoever set it up had envisioned that cable colour would correspond to function, unfortunately without any other labelling its hard to tell one red cable from the next one.

On the bright side the rest of the devices are marked.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to michieru

Premium Member

to michieru
I've seen the same sort of thing happen at my work.

In order to minimize downtime and get things up and running as fast as possible, people pay no attention at all to cable management and just go ahead and connect the cables every which way.

After that, the equipment is up and running and it's impossible to do any cable management without taking the equipment down for a bit, so cable management never happens.

Rinse and repeat a few times, and you end up with atrocities like the one in the picture above.

michieru
Premium Member
Denver, CO

michieru to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
It originally was properly configured but from what the employees told me the place has had a few years of neglect due to the city being cheap. Different contractors trying to run their own thing and so forth.

Modus
I hate smartassery on forums
Premium Member
join:2005-05-02
us

Modus

Premium Member

are you a contractor or permanent hire?

michieru
Premium Member
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

Paid intern actually.
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck to michieru

Premium Member

to michieru
Typical of a city IT department. Decent hardware, horrible installation and management/maintenance practices.
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to michieru

to michieru
Hehehe My guess was either city or government stuff.

Nice equipment that costs a lot, installed and maintained like shit.

In all honesty though this isn't a bad gig. Cable management bigtime yes. But not impossible by any means. Will be a great task to get feet wet as an intern and learn about how much clients scream when one cable gets pulled.

Then you might be able to lecture on the fact of the idiots they hired to do the job before

Now, make sure you ask people here if they prefer zip ties, velcro, or lacing.
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns to michieru

Premium Member

to michieru
i dont label my patch cables, but all devices have their hostname and ip address on the front.

the wall drops (phone and data) are labeled on both ends. and before i plug a patch cable from the patch panel to the phone system or network switch, i make sure to run it through all the cable management i have on the rack.

michieru
Premium Member
Denver, CO

michieru to voxframe

Premium Member

to voxframe
Once I fix the majority of the wifi issues in certain parts of the city I will worry about that mess later. Trying to get everything up and running before the year ends but I am severely limited at installation locations. I have about 8 Cisco 1520 Aironets just chilling on my desk at the moment.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to michieru

Premium Member

to michieru
said by michieru:

It originally was properly configured but from what the employees told me the place has had a few years of neglect due to the city being cheap. Different contractors trying to run their own thing and so forth.

Entropy in action!
Are those HP 2824 switches buried deep in the heart of the mess?

jeffmoss26
join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH

jeffmoss26 to michieru

to michieru
Whoever did that should be hanged by a bundle of patch cords!
I always say "seen worse" but that about takes the cake...disgusting!

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to michieru

Premium Member

to michieru
Thats nothing. We just moved into a old bldg at work where they had a rack for the servers and switches about 8 feet away from the patch panels, its a mess. And then when the switch starts acting up where you cant have a phone and computer connected with 1 line therefore you have to run lines for each seperate devices, it doesnt help the mess at all.
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns to jeffmoss26

Premium Member

to jeffmoss26
if that is the worse you have seen, then you havent seen anything yet.

michieru
Premium Member
Denver, CO

michieru to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
Yes there is, I mean this is the picture of one rack there is a total of three and two patch panels which are in the same situation. This is just where I need to work in most often. Either way I am new to working in such a environment so yeah maybe I haven't seen nothing yet but when you got police, fire, public wifi, and the actual work domain all in one room and some going through the same equipment for me that's a mess beyond words.

sedorox
join:2006-06-23
Williamsport, PA

sedorox to michieru

to michieru
While messy, the advantage here, is the different colored cables, so it's at least a little easier to trace when something goes wrong.
Better then a sea of white/blue/red/etc.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939 to michieru

Premium Member

to michieru
I worked on a rack for a client that looked like that, except all the cables were tan. I don't miss it...

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to michieru

MVM

to michieru
Im sure all those different colours meant something in the beginning, but in time people just started using what ever colour/length patch lead was laying around, and now the colour scheme is pretty much useless.