spc
Search similar:

uniqs
chenrikson0
join:2011-04-16
Delmar, NY

chenrikson0

The End of Fios??

Looks as tho FIOS is cutting back in a big way on Fios deployment. VZ is now working with Comcast, TW etc. to expand wireless offerings (if I understand correctly) and does not currently plan on much further expansion of FIOS TV.. Sorry, consumers -- maybe time to cut the (fiber optic) cable.
Steve3
join:2010-01-28
Springfield, NJ

1 recommendation

Steve3

I don't think that it is the end of FIOS. I think they are going to concentrate on the areas they serve. Eventually, they may expand, but I doubt they would cease operation after the money that has been invested.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 recommendation

bohratom to chenrikson0

to chenrikson0
I work in the industry and can assure you that Verizon is not going to abandon FIOS. In fact its going to be their meat and potatoes for the foreseeable future.

Their plans for IPTV next year will be the talk of the town.

nortonjim
@verizon.net

nortonjim to chenrikson0

Anon

to chenrikson0
said by chenrikson0:

Looks as tho FIOS is cutting back in a big way on Fios deployment. VZ is now working with Comcast, TW etc. to expand wireless offerings (if I understand correctly) and does not currently plan on much further expansion of FIOS TV.. Sorry, consumers -- maybe time to cut the (fiber optic) cable.

sure i will disconnect fios because YOU think it's the end. no thanks i'll keep it til the end whether its next week or next decade. they will sell comcast service possibly in areas where it doesnt overlap with fios. DOH!

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine to chenrikson0

to chenrikson0
How do you equate non-expansion of Fios with shutting it down? They're the Telephone Company, they operated for decades without expanding their copper deployments (beyond what population growth brought).

Anyway, it's bizarre to see them allying with Comcast. I just now saw an anti-Fios "Xfinity" ad on TV.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to bohratom

to bohratom
said by bohratom:

I work in the industry and can assure you that Verizon is not going to abandon FIOS. In fact its going to be their meat and potatoes for the foreseeable future.

the only problem with IPTV is verizon might get into trouble with the FCC if they break Tivo's, Ceton, Silicondust, Moxi, and any other cablecard device's ability to tune all of the non VOD services. TWC and Cox did this with SDV and withheld SDV channels from customers and got slapped with a fine. Is there any plans for an adapter for the UDCP devices?
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to chenrikson0

to chenrikson0
More like a big rethink about LTE.
tennisman94
join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94 to motorola870

to motorola870
said by motorola870:

said by bohratom:

the only problem with IPTV is verizon might get into trouble with the FCC if they break Tivo's, Ceton, Silicondust, Moxi, and any other cablecard device's ability to tune all of the non VOD services. TWC and Cox did this with SDV and withheld SDV channels from customers and got slapped with a fine. Is there any plans for an adapter for the UDCP devices?

It wasn't an issue for AT&T Uverse or satellite, so I don't see where they could face much, if any opposition.

somebodeez
MVM
join:2001-09-24
here

somebodeez to chenrikson0

MVM

to chenrikson0
As a current Fios customer, I'd like to know what this means for me.

"...pursuing instead joint offerings with Comcast and Time Warner."

Pleeeease tell me it doesn't mean that we'll lose our high quality TV and uncapped broadband services.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

said by somebodeez:

Pleeeease tell me it doesn't mean that we'll lose our high quality TV and uncapped broadband services.

Wish Granted

You will not lose your high quality TV and uncapped broadband

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
446.4 4.0

sashwa to chenrikson0

Mod

to chenrikson0
»venturebeat.com/2011/12/ ··· ild-out/

Taken from this thread: »Have been waiting for this to happen. And I'm not surprised

Thank you nascar See Profile

bull3964
@verizon.net

bull3964 to motorola870

Anon

to motorola870
said by motorola870:

Don't confuse willfully withholding access with not being able to access the streams.

The SDV was an issue (initially, TWC appealed the ruling and won so no fine was paid) because the solution was there and TWC was withholding it. If Verizon moves to IPTV and is willing to work with any third party on bringing those service to the other devices, they are basically clear. If TIVO doesn't want to engineer compatibility with FIOS's IPTV implementation even though Verizon would work with them on making it a reality, it's on TIVO and not Verizon and the FCC wouldn't get involved.
URFloorMatt
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

1 recommendation

URFloorMatt to chenrikson0

to chenrikson0
My thoughts, posted elsewhere. I think the doom and gloom is way overblown.
quote:
FiOS is the 7th largest provider of television services in the country and has a large enough installed base that it will eventually become the 5th largest provider (based on subscriber adds), but after that, the only remaining competition is Comcast and Time Warner terrestrially, and there's no way FiOS gets to be of equal size with them without an enormous investment in an (or a series of) existing cable system(s), which wouldn't have been built from the ground up with FiOS in mind. It makes sense that, if you can't beat 'em, you might as well make them an asset.

Unless Verizon is getting out of the landline telephone business entirely, which would be a major, watershed moment for the industry, it's not getting rid of FiOS.

What I think will happen, and is indicative of the partnership they just made with MS/Xbox, is looking to leverage the FiOS brand via new technologies so they can just offer software and a portal to anyone who wants to subscribe, instead of making the enormous outlays necessary to provide traditional television service. And it will be much, much easier to get that trojan horse on Comcast and TWC systems if they're not actively growing and competing in their existing markets.

The top-line news item here is that Verizon is switching priorities: it's abandoning its partnership with DirecTV in order to buddy up with broadband Internet providers. It's probably no coincidence that this comes out just days after Verizon announced its new Redbox partnership/Netflix competitor.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to somebodeez

Premium Member

to somebodeez
Thats all we need.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to URFloorMatt

Anon

to URFloorMatt
See »www22.verizon.com/idc/gr ··· ript.pdf
said by Lowell McAdam, Verizon President & CEO :
But I don't plan on going any further than we have talked about because we have got to kind of clean up a few of the processes around the ONTs. We have now developed a strategy whereas if we put FiOS down the street, regardless of the services that are on the street we are going to move everything over to FiOS and get the copper out of service and out of our base. So that is a pretty significant shift for us.

That changes the scale and, frankly, the cost structure associated with FiOS. If I can get some rhythm on that and be a little bit more efficient on the ONTs and what goes on inside the house then the economics of FiOS begins to get better and better then I can reevaluate. But for now the bottom line is we are going to build out what we said and not any more.

[I guess that would involve putting an ONT in every current customer home regardless of whether they take FiOS services or not.]

But not necessarily the current ONT. So there are two big aspects to that and Tony Melone is driving this. Today inside the house you have to do everything over coax. We believe that you can do the things that you need to do inside the house over a modified WiFi or a standard WiFi, which dramatically changes your expense of install.

We also think that you can go with a very small modular optical box if you are doing just data or you are doing voice and data inside the house and only do the bigger one when you do video. So I think you do just those two things, one on hardware and one on the communication inside the house, really changes things.

Then, as I said, if you start moving all of your services over onto the FiOS instead of just the data service and the video service, you spread that investment; we can take other pieces of the network down. So it changes our approach. So we expect to be moving pretty swiftly toward that in 2012.
FiosTV1080I
join:2010-09-06
united state

FiosTV1080I to chenrikson0

to chenrikson0
A cable company is buying Verizon Fios?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by FiosTV1080I:

A cable company is buying Verizon Fios?

Nobody said that. Read the quote.
FiosTV1080I
join:2010-09-06
united state

FiosTV1080I

Oh sorry, got confused

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to chenrikson0

to chenrikson0
Maybe all this cooperation with Comcast and Time Warner will get their darn HD channels added????

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

time will tell
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

Yeah I'm wondering if Verizon is selling or going to spin off FiOS now. It could be either a really good or bad thing. If they spin it off to a company focused only on FiOS it could have the potential for better upgrades in the future (Considering FiOS is profitable). On the other hand history has shown that any part of Verizon's business that they spin off or sell is almost never profitable and usually fails horribly.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by McBane:

Yeah I'm wondering if Verizon is selling or going to spin off FiOS now.

Read what McAdam said above:
quote:
We have now developed a strategy whereas if we put FiOS down the street, regardless of the services that are on the street we are going to move everything over to FiOS and get the copper out of service and out of our base. So that is a pretty significant shift for us.

But not necessarily the current ONT. So there are two big aspects to that and Tony Melone is driving this. Today inside the house you have to do everything over coax. We believe that you can do the things that you need to do inside the house over a modified WiFi or a standard WiFi, which dramatically changes your expense of install.

We also think that you can go with a very small modular optical box if you are doing just data or you are doing voice and data inside the house and only do the bigger one when you do video. So I think you do just those two things, one on hardware and one on the communication inside the house, really changes things.

modular ONTs, inside wireless, moving copper infrastructure to fiber. That's doesn't sound to me like they have any plans to sell off FIOS.

somebodeez
MVM
join:2001-09-24
here

somebodeez to Greg2600

MVM

to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

Maybe all this cooperation with Comcast and Time Warner will get their darn HD channels added????

At their crap quality ?
somebodeez

somebodeez to guppy_fish

MVM

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

said by somebodeez:

Wish Granted

You will not lose your high quality TV and uncapped broadband

(♥)

MrKal_El
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

MrKal_El to chenrikson0

to chenrikson0
Here is another article on the Verizon / Comcast / TW deal, with speculation of a FiOS spinoff...

»www.theverge.com/2011/12 ··· ght-home

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to chenrikson0

Premium Member

to chenrikson0
VZ Fios could become just Fios. Just throwing it out there on what I was putting together in my head.

TitusTroy
join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

1 recommendation

TitusTroy to chenrikson0

to chenrikson0
I don't know what all this means for the future of FiOS and fiber-to-the-home so I'll just enjoy it while I can

I think as long as your area is currently FiOS enabled then there's nothing to worry about...I think this only matters in non-FiOS areas

joe01880
join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

1 edit

joe01880 to chenrikson0

to chenrikson0
Sitting on the outside looking in at the probelms with FiOS, delays, billing issues, way to0 many STB's and firmware/software issues, unreliable and inconsistant customer service, massive fluctuations in pricing structure and at times out right lies. Add to that the change in leadership and the end of FIOS seems inevetable. Then mention of anything Comcast cannot be a good thing. With the talk of running out of space for HD channels in other threads compression seems to be the only way to get what people are screaming for and with it will come a loss of the PQ we have gotten use to.
I am glad i am not in any commited contract with Verizon given whats in the wind. I will quietly sit back and enjoy what I have while it lasts with hopes it wont change.

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

1 recommendation

K3SGM to chenrikson0

Premium Member

to chenrikson0
I think you are getting it wrong.

Verizon isn't pulling the plug on FIOS.

A consortium of cable companies created a joint venture called "SpectrumCo",
and bought a large portion of AWS (Advanced Wireless Services) 1700MHz/2100MHz spectrum at an FCC auction with the intent of creating their own cellular/data competitor to Verizon/AT&T/Sprint, etc....

Now they have given up on the idea of building out a new wireless network and are selling the wireless spectrum to Verizon for $3.6B.

»www.reuters.com/article/ ··· 20111202

In turn, the cable companies will become Verizon Wireless resellers, and Verizon will re-sell regular cable services in NON-FIOS AREAS, very similar to the way they re-sell DirecTV in NON-FIOS AREAS.

It saves the time and money of the cableco's having to build their own wireless network, and it let's Verizon build out FIOS at a slower pace in areas where they don't have plans for FIOS yet.

It just gives all parties involved a chance to offer a QUAD-PLAY bundle option, with Phone, TV, Internet, and Wireless, as quickly as possible.
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

1 recommendation

billhere

I don't see FiOS going away from existing areas anytime soon

Verizon does need to get their house in order -- billing and customer service in general are both sub-par. Installation and follow-up service need work.

My FiOS phone and internet service were fine for almost three years. I finally added FiOS TV October 1. When the installer left I had TV and Internet service but had completely lost phone service. It took over an hour on chat to get phone service back.

I had to replace my router after a power outage in early November. Verizon sent me a replacement quickly but it turned out to be bad. Technician replaced the router but in doing so he did a lot of trouble-shooting. I wound up with four set top boxes showing on my account instead of one. I got the billing straightened out on that last week, but my account still shows three set top boxes instead of the one I have.

And, yes, I contacted the New York corporate office via snail mail and the president of Verizon California by e-mail in trying to get this mess straightened out.