dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 recommendation

bohratom to chenrikson0

to chenrikson0

Re: The End of Fios??

I work in the industry and can assure you that Verizon is not going to abandon FIOS. In fact its going to be their meat and potatoes for the foreseeable future.

Their plans for IPTV next year will be the talk of the town.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by bohratom:

I work in the industry and can assure you that Verizon is not going to abandon FIOS. In fact its going to be their meat and potatoes for the foreseeable future.

the only problem with IPTV is verizon might get into trouble with the FCC if they break Tivo's, Ceton, Silicondust, Moxi, and any other cablecard device's ability to tune all of the non VOD services. TWC and Cox did this with SDV and withheld SDV channels from customers and got slapped with a fine. Is there any plans for an adapter for the UDCP devices?
tennisman94
join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94

said by motorola870:

said by bohratom:

the only problem with IPTV is verizon might get into trouble with the FCC if they break Tivo's, Ceton, Silicondust, Moxi, and any other cablecard device's ability to tune all of the non VOD services. TWC and Cox did this with SDV and withheld SDV channels from customers and got slapped with a fine. Is there any plans for an adapter for the UDCP devices?

It wasn't an issue for AT&T Uverse or satellite, so I don't see where they could face much, if any opposition.

bull3964
@verizon.net

bull3964 to motorola870

Anon

to motorola870
said by motorola870:

Don't confuse willfully withholding access with not being able to access the streams.

The SDV was an issue (initially, TWC appealed the ruling and won so no fine was paid) because the solution was there and TWC was withholding it. If Verizon moves to IPTV and is willing to work with any third party on bringing those service to the other devices, they are basically clear. If TIVO doesn't want to engineer compatibility with FIOS's IPTV implementation even though Verizon would work with them on making it a reality, it's on TIVO and not Verizon and the FCC wouldn't get involved.