uniqs
share rss forum feed

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to stangman86gt

Re: [4G] att 4g with no contract?

said by stangman86gt:

Well ATT apparently snuck in and decided my small town should get hspa+.

However, I don't want to be stuck into a 2yr contract with att for the 4g service(using verizon 3g right now for home internet). If my knowledge is correct, I can buy the modem outright, and just sign up for the service and only pay some activation fee without a contract.

Am I correct? Or do I have to sign the 2yr contract(in which case I won't do it)?

thx,
mike

Don't buy the modem from them outright they will charge full retail pricing which is ridiculous. I would hit up ebay and find an HSDPA+ enabled usb stick or mifi. Then call them and start up service or go into a store and take care of it. Since you are bringing your own equipment you will start on no contract.

I would also recommend a cradlepoint router to go with the usb modem.

stangman86gt

join:2007-02-06

one step ahead of you =)...

Already bought the modem off of ebay for 30 bucks, and i have a mbr1000 router already hehe.

and ontop of all that, i already have a directional antenna that does the 700mhz range, but i probably won't need to be using this since i get such good reception already through att.

thx for all the replies, i should be getting my modem tomorrow *crosses fingers* wish me luck...then i can get rid of this verizon 3g crap i have right now.

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30

said by stangman86gt:

one step ahead of you =)...

Already bought the modem off of ebay for 30 bucks, and i have a mbr1000 router already hehe.

and ontop of all that, i already have a directional antenna that does the 700mhz range, but i probably won't need to be using this since i get such good reception already through att.

thx for all the replies, i should be getting my modem tomorrow *crosses fingers* wish me luck...then i can get rid of this verizon 3g crap i have right now.

Personally I would get a newer router than the MBR1000. I had the MBR900 on Verizon with a 4G Pantech UML290 card and it would disconnect all the time and everything was up to date it's just that the router was not specifically made for 4G cards.

I replaced it the MBR95 which just came out and specifically made for LTE devices and I hardly ever get any disconnects anymore and the connection is a lot more stable. I would consider you switch the 1000 out for a MBR1400.