uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

Free (or cheap) hosting

I have no desire to build a website, just looking for a place to send (legal) files to an FTP server and have the recipient click on a site and download them. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rob

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2

Many hosts you can consider legit/reliable/durable (or their upstream providers) have TOS prohibiting that particular type of use...covering their backsides to avoid excessive bandwidth or having to respond to takedowns or other legal process. Be very careful: Get it in writing that your intended use is fully permitted. And, if it is, make sure that if they are a reseller that their provider also expressly allows it as well.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

stray

join:2000-01-16
Warren, NJ
reply to Rob_

Dropbox?

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Now, these are big files and my current provider 1&1 will NOT let me view the linux page (files) for some stupid reason.

Will dropbox let me share the files to this person?

xmrocks
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-23

You should be able to. You'd give the person a link and they can access the files as normal and download them to their workstation.
--
Submit phishing to phishtracker

Shelly512
Premium
join:2011-11-30
Wauseon, OH
reply to Rob_

said by Rob_:

Now, these are big files and my current provider 1&1 will NOT let me view the linux page (files) for some stupid reason.

Will dropbox let me share the files to this person?

How big of files are you trying to share?

Dropbox is software that has to be installed on their pc

stray

join:2000-01-16
Warren, NJ

No need to install dropbox software on their PC. Dropbox has a web interface that requires no software installation.
--
V-Rtifacts - When Virtual Reality Was More Than Virtual

mythology
Premium
join:2002-10-16
Seneca, SC
reply to Rob_

Rapid share etc?

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to Rob_

Thread is kind of old but you could run a FTP server on your own system. Your ISP may block the normal FTP/SSH ports but the server application will let you choose whatever port you want.

You can take the server offline when not in use.

jtrag

join:2010-08-19
Mcsherrystown, PA
reply to Rob_

You could check out »www.freewebhostingtalk.com and »www.webhostingtalk.com

If you can't find a host at either of these two web hosting forum communities, you probably won't find one

I hope this helps

- James

kieranmullen
Premium
join:2005-12-12
Portland, OR
reply to Rob_

The space provided to you by your webhosting company? File hosting sites like mediafire.com should only be relied upon for short term file hosting needs.
--
Make your voip number accessible to sipbroker.com and free worldwide call in numbers

thomasrob248

join:2010-12-28

1 edit
reply to Rob_

God, some people are right cheap skates - hosting is so cheap nowadays and people are STILL asking for free offerings.