spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mariod
join:2009-06-16

mariod to GTFan

to GTFan

Re: [TiVo] TiVo w/no subscription = DTA

The first one is $6.50 maybe, but the standard pricing (each area varies) is $10 for each additional cable card. It's mentioned earlier in this very thread: »Re: [TiVo] TiVo w/no subscription = DTA

Many systems then charge $10 for the second outlet.

Enjoy wasting contriving new justifications for wasting your money, but stop misleading everyone else.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to mogamer

to mogamer
said by mogamer:

Myself, for the kind of money needed for a Tivo "whole home solution", I would rather spend the money on a HTPC with a four-tuner cc device and use Xbox 360 extenders. Pc's and Xbox 360's are more flexible than Tivo's and can do whole lot more. And the more sets you have the the HTPC solution gets cheaper compared to multiple Tivo's.

Now this is something I can agree with, if you don't mind messing with PCs. It's not completely straightforward for a lot of folks, and IMO the HTPC + extender experience does not work as well as a couple Tivos. But with the new deals on Cablecard tuners (I just got an HDHomerun Prime for $170) it's a compelling and cheaper alternative to multiple Tivos.

I run both setups in my house, Tivos and WMC7 with Xbox and Linksys extenders. The Tivos are much easier to use and work better overall, but you do get a lot more options with the HTPC.
GTFan

GTFan to mariod

to mariod
said by mariod:

The first one is $6.50 maybe, but the standard pricing (each area varies) is $10 for each additional cable card. It's mentioned earlier in this very thread: »Re: [TiVo] TiVo w/no subscription = DTA

Enjoy wasting contriving new justifications for wasting your money, but stop misleading everyone else.

Just stop - you have no idea what you're talking about, and neither does Rhino because he's getting bad info.

First card is free, additional cards are $6/mo after the credit. In some areas, additional cards are actually $1.50/mo. - $2.50 credit so they PAY you to use a card. I have one like that on my bill, so I do know what I'm talking about for the ATL market at least.
mariod

mariod

Even if we use your numbers (which are silly since OP said he called comcast and asked, but you insist he's incorrect), you paid ~$1000 up front, and $6 a month to save $21 a month.

So your two tivos had to last repair free for over four years just to break even (without calculating time value of that $1000 investment) plus you don't have access to on demand, don't have anyroom functionality, and when technology changes (ie: Tivo Premiere Q) you don't get to upgrade.

That's really worth having a fancier guide? Really?
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

sure no problem i havent slept either lol i called arris directly to see what exactly is going on and found out that Moxi isn't going out of business, the boxes aren't being discontinued. they are doing a restructuring of that division and operations and sales will continue in janurary.

Yeah and a user over at AVS called them and they confirmed it was discontinued. Just like Rhino calling and getting conflicting info about CC fees from Comcast.

»www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ ··· 21347812
GTFan

GTFan to mariod

to mariod
said by mariod:

Zzzzz... post again after you've used both in your house. You have no idea what you're talking about.
mariod

mariod

said by GTFan:

said by mariod:

Zzzzz... post again after you've used both in your house. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Perspective: You need it.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

As I mentioned before, I have 2 Tivos, one Premier, and one Series 2 DT, which I just canceled and replaced with a comcast dvr. In my living room, I have the premier and a comcast dvr. The series 2 and now the other comcast dvr are in the back room. To add another Premier would, right this moment, cost me 94.98, and 15/mo thereafter, plus the cable card. That price is with the 'discount'... that's more than I CURRENTLY pay for either box.
The premier is ok, nice features... when they work. I've had it replaced once, and it is still problematic with the green ring freezes, inconsistent interface, and the guide data not always being accurate. Netflix has a better interface integrated into my Panasonic plasma, such as being able to add to my queue. And with the comcast boxes, I have access to VOD, which Tivo has promised, but is yet to deliver. Everyone has their own opinion, but over my 4 years with Tivo, I've been not overly impressed.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to mogamer

Premium Member

to mogamer
said by mogamer:

said by GTFan:

Some misinformation here - Tivos ARE cost saving products, mine have both paid for themselves by now and neither has gone bad, so essentially I'm saving $34 every month. And you can't expand the Comcast Moto DVRs, you're stuck with whatever drive (as small as 160GB, or 20 hours of HD) that they give you. I upgraded both of my Tivos with ease, and if they do break it's not that expensive to fix because 90% of the time it's either the drive or the power supply.

But the main reason to go with a Tivo or Cablecard HTPC is because it runs rings around the Moto junk that Comcast sticks users with here. No way am I going back to that feature limited box.

Yes it's easier to pay Comcast every month, but if you try something else you might find that it's worth it.

Like I said, Tivos are better dvr's. No question about that. But how are you saving money? Did you forget the start up costs? Taking monthly cc fees into account, I figured it would take four years to come out ahead using a Tivo compared to Comcast dvr.

Myself, for the kind of money needed for a Tivo "whole home solution", I would rather spend the money on a HTPC with a four-tuner cc device and use Xbox 360 extenders. Pc's and Xbox 360's are more flexible than Tivo's and can do whole lot more. And the more sets you have the the HTPC solution gets cheaper compared to multiple Tivo's.

I have a Centon 4 tuner card that I'll sell you. I did not like it to flickering of the screen.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by Caddyroger:

said by mogamer:

said by GTFan:

Some misinformation here - Tivos ARE cost saving products, mine have both paid for themselves by now and neither has gone bad, so essentially I'm saving $34 every month. And you can't expand the Comcast Moto DVRs, you're stuck with whatever drive (as small as 160GB, or 20 hours of HD) that they give you. I upgraded both of my Tivos with ease, and if they do break it's not that expensive to fix because 90% of the time it's either the drive or the power supply.

But the main reason to go with a Tivo or Cablecard HTPC is because it runs rings around the Moto junk that Comcast sticks users with here. No way am I going back to that feature limited box.

Yes it's easier to pay Comcast every month, but if you try something else you might find that it's worth it.

Like I said, Tivos are better dvr's. No question about that. But how are you saving money? Did you forget the start up costs? Taking monthly cc fees into account, I figured it would take four years to come out ahead using a Tivo compared to Comcast dvr.

I have a Centon 4 tuner card that I'll sell you. I did not like it to flickering of the screen.

I currently don't have cable, I have Dish Network as my pay tv service. So I can't use a cable card device. I must say that my 722K dvr works a lot better than any cableco or ota dvr I've used. But the new cc devices interest me enough to switch back when my contract expires. And since my kids and I are gamers, having multiple Xbox 360's around would be just fine with me.
zeejay
join:2011-12-14

zeejay to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
I agree with you mate that lifetime subscriptions are expensive.