All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
therau2000
join:2011-11-20

therau2000

How can I "moderate" my own Topic?

I have looked at a lot of FAQs including all the info about Premium Accounts and Site Features and I could not find it...

Pretty often, someone post a new Topic on a serious subject and, inevitably there are people who hijack his/her topic with irrelevant/useless/offensive comments.

Is there any way for someone posting a topic to "moderate" on his/her very own Topic; e.g. moving comment to another Topic, telling a User - off-line - to go bitch somewhere else, deleting offensive comments, etc.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion

MVM

Notify the mod of the forum and it will be up to their judgment.
therau2000

therau2000

I have done that a few times and there was no action taken, none whatsoever.

dandelion
MVM
Germantown, TN

dandelion to therau2000

MVM

to therau2000
There is a "hey mod" button, or notifying the mod of the forum, and if nothing was done that could have been their judgment call to leave the remarks. *shrugs* You can always PM the mod and ask them however. Sometimes there may be circumstances we are unaware of that filter into the equation, on the whole I have found most prefer to leave the posts as is unless against forum rules or something similar. When you "hey mod" you can read what is usually modded at that time.
therau2000

1 edit

therau2000

At one point I posted a new Topic. A User posted a #1 reply: a real slap-in-the-face personal attack. I did not answer that reply but someone else (a registered User) did post #3 reply and he was NOT harsh. Although I did use the "hey mod" to have #1 reply deleted, nothing happened.

However, although I did not in any way "hey mod" #3 reply, it was deleted by a moderator a couple of days later. Makes no sense to me!

dandelion
MVM
Germantown, TN

dandelion to therau2000

MVM

to therau2000
This FAQ may be helpful »Site FAQ »What are the Rules on Posting?
therau2000

therau2000

Thanks for the reference. I had read it a couple of times.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

1 recommendation

Pacrat

MVM

When we post something we often get responses that we weren't looking for or expecting to get. That's just the way life is. What you took as a slap in the face, may have been just someone chiding you a little, and that's not against most forum rules. It may be discourteous if you get "smartass" replies when you're looking for serious input, but it hapens... more often than not.

Other than "hey mod"-ing a particular post as "Off Topic" or a blatant flaming post, there's not much you, personally can do. You can choose to ignore the post and move on, or you can brood over it for days and let it ruin your experience on the site. We've all taken some "shots" from time to time... some good-natured, and some not so good-natured. It happens. I suggest that you let your skin thicken a little and not take the idiots too seriously. Take their responses for what they're worth and just move on to the next posting.

The moderators here, for the most part, try not to step on anyone's toes too hard. That's why your request, probably, did not ellicit the result you were expecting to see. A "smart-assed" remark, normally violates no forum rules. It may be discourteous, it may be in bad taste, but that doesn't make it "illegal".

When you've been around here a little longer, you'll begin to recognize the quality, helpful posters and and the ones who post just to see themselves in print... the the ones who have "opinions" on everything, whether they know anything or not.

As to why it took a couple of days for the posting you objected to to be removed... it could be that the moderator received multiple objections to its content from other, regular, members. And he/she revisited the content from a different point of view.

Also... if your intent is to receive only serious responses, it is often helpful to flag your post as "[Serious]" in your thread/topic title.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to therau2000

to therau2000
said by therau2000:

I would guess that over half the time, when a hey mod is sent, a moderator looks at it and decides that no action is warranted.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

said by fatness:

said by therau2000:

I would guess that over half the time, when a hey mod is sent, a moderator looks at it and decides that no action is warranted.

On this note, I wonder if it would be possible to use the mod queue to notify the reporting person(s) that a mod has reviewed the issue. This would instill some confidence that they aren't being ignored.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
Cortland, OH

Pacrat

MVM

I sort of agree with this, but it's been my experience that all "hey mod" requests are reviewed, as a matter of course. Being that the mods are, with very few exceptions, unpaid volunteers(draftees), and most of them have other lives other than being online, it does sometimes take awhile for them to review all the requests. Because we don't see the immediate effect, does not automatically indicate that it wasn't looked at.

It might be nice to get some notification that a particular post was, indeed, looked at, but I can see that slowing the process down even more, and that, it would seem, would be at cross purposes.

Keep in mind that "hey mod" isn't only to complain or carp... it is also used to send positive feedback, too.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

My understanding, which could easily be wrong, is that there is actually a mod "queue" as in a list of posts to be reviewed.

I believe I can safely assume that there's some button/link that says a post is reviewed (in order to remove it from the queue). Tie the functionality into that button/link and there's no extra effort by the moderator.

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness to drew

to drew
said by drew:

On this note, I wonder if it would be possible to use the mod queue to notify the reporting person(s) that a mod has reviewed the issue. This would instill some confidence that they aren't being ignored.

To pick a number, let's say 100 hey mods a day are sent on the site. That makes potentially 100 notifications direcly to people that a mod didn't agree with their judgment.

Based on my (good and bad) experiences talking with people about hey mods, that change would generate considerably more arguments than confidence.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

Maybe I misrepresented my idea...

These would be generated regardless of outcome. Just a "hey, thanks for reporting the issue. we've looked at it."

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

Ok We'll check it out
Thank you for keeping the site friendly.

Not good enough?

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

Think of it as any other CS operation... there's an acknowledgment the request has been received and then follow-up, even if it's a form letter.

For example, World of Warcraft's CS department uses scripting in their response to player conduct reports:
quote:
We will investigate your report and take all necessary and appropriate actions to address this matter. Due to privacy concerns, we will not be able to notify you of our findings, nor of the actions necessary for resolution of this issue.
This is the "hey, we looked into it and we'll take action if deemed necessary."

This instills some confidence that the issue was at least examined by a human even if that human doesn't agree.

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state

Mod

said by drew:

This instills some confidence that the issue was at least examined by a human even if that human doesn't agree.

Without going into the site mechanics and all that boring behind the scenes stuff, I can guarantee you that every hey-mod is examined by at least one human. Personally, I think the system works well the way it is. The more "transparent" it is, the better the overall user experience while on the site.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

drew

Premium Member

I really don't have a personal horse in this race so it's not overly important to me. I already disagree with a number of moderation practices this site employs, specifically the anonymous moderation, but I just (now.. sorry tmp, fatness, we go a way's back, don't we? ) do my best to avoid breaking rules regardless of whether or not I agree with them. This ensures I don't have to deal with it personally.

That being said, while I trust you state See Profile, I'm merely offering up a standard online customer service practice that's designed to instill confidence in the customer that an issue was at least reviewed. Do it, don't do it, not a big deal. Just my humble opinion on another way we can improve this site

dandelion
MVM
Germantown, TN

dandelion to therau2000

MVM

to therau2000
Well, I will chime in with a 2 cents here. On the rare occasions I have asked about a mod, I have found a quick answer except once. That once I simply asked another mod to help me and had my answer. I really don't care if it shows whether a "hey mod" is read or not probably not checking it one way or another and would prefer not to have a PM stating it however...something to delete etc. (no offense to the probably good and interesting messages it would generate either).

I think if you have a serious "hey mod" question and nothing is done about it there are already recourse's to the site without adding one more *shrugs* i.e. ask the mod of the forum or ask another of your favorite mods, or ask fatness.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

1 recommendation

nwrickert to state

Mod

to state
said by state:

Without going into the site mechanics and all that boring behind the scenes stuff, I can guarantee you that every hey-mod is examined by at least one human.

I guess that means that somebody other than the mods is looking at them

state
stress magnet
Mod
Purgatory

state

Mod

said by nwrickert:

And I think we can all sleep better at night knowing that.

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness to nwrickert

to nwrickert
said by nwrickert:

MPAA, RIAA, DHS, Anthony Morrison,

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to drew

Premium Member

to drew
said by drew:

I already disagree with a number of moderation practices this site employs, specifically the anonymous moderation,

+1

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to fatness

MVM

to fatness
You forgot the: FBI, Homeland Security, DEA, NSA, Border Patrol & Customs, CIA... and Big Brother!!!

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

skj to FFH5

Mod

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by drew:

I already disagree with a number of moderation practices this site employs, specifically the anonymous moderation,

+1

You must be thinking of some other site because Anonymous88 See Profile has never been a moderator here.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

That's possibly the lamest joke I've seen in weeks.

Sorry skj See Profile.

state
stress magnet
Mod
Purgatory

state

Mod

Oh they get worse, just give us time. There's a team of trained "monkey" working on them.

Mr Neutron
Impassioned Gibberish
Premium Member
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

1 recommendation

Mr Neutron to therau2000

Premium Member

to therau2000
said by therau2000:

At one point I posted a new Topic. A User posted a #1 reply: a real slap-in-the-face personal attack. I did not answer that reply but someone else (a registered User) did post #3 reply and he was NOT harsh.

My own twisted belief is that it's not necessarily the posts on DSLR that need moderating: it's your own reaction to them (same deal goes for me, too).

The responses you get on DSLR concerning just about anything are going to range from mind-numbingly stupid, to Nobel Laureate-caliber clever, (and useful) to, yes, virtual slaps in the face. The thing to bear in mind is that the responses are typed by human beings; human beings are capable of all of these types of behaviors.

If someone responds to a civil question with a personal attack, perhaps the thing to focus on isn't the fact that they're trying to pick on you. Perhaps the real problem is that they have so little going for themselves, that the only way they have to get their jollies is by picking on random strangers over the InterTubes.

That, to me, is sad.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that DSLR is pretty much a cross section of humanity and that you're going to find the the Good, the Bad, and the Helpful on these boards; just take what you find useful and discard the rest. I, too, used to belief strongly in "controlling my environment." Years later, (far too many years later) it occurred to me that the only thing I could ever really hope to control was me (and my own reaction to things).

I can promise you that, if you hang around here a while, you'll see a few things that will put a big smile on your face. Please try to be patient and hang in there in the meantime.
Spensergig
Past my Prime
MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL

Spensergig

MVM

said by Mr Neutron:

I can promise you that, if you hang around here a while, you'll see a few things that will put a big smile on your face. Please try to be patient and hang in there in the meantime.

Looks like that scenario is NOT going to play out.
The OP has dollarcided.

dandelion
MVM
Germantown, TN

dandelion to therau2000

MVM

to therau2000
That's a shame, but this is a BIG place and there are all kinds here. Good post @Mr Neutron