spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

therau2000

join:2011-11-20

[request] Give Creator of a Topic moderation rights to own Topic

Pretty often, someone post a new Topic on a serious subject and, inevitably there are people who hijack his/her topic with irrelevant/useless/offensive comments.

Is there any way for someone posting a topic to "moderate" on his/her very own Topic? at least to keep Topic on track.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

2 recommendations

Re: Give Creator of a Topic moderation rights to own Topic

If that was allowed, the amount of discussion and information removed from this site by topic posters would be staggering.
--
their dreams a tattered sail in the wind

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6

2 recommendations

Why would you think that, I mean it's not like [opinion deleted by thread moderator therau2000 See Profile]

therau2000

reply to fatness

Fatness I understand your viewpoint and I believe some posters would abuse it; but I think the majority would not. On the other hand, I think you already know that the amount of irrelevant/useless/etc. replies is staggering as well.

There must be a way to give "some" control to posters in order to keep subject on track.
What about giving posters the ability to:
1-set expectations for replies to the topic: anything welcome, prefer relevant only, etc.
2-set topic's default viewing with something like: all, relevant only, etc.
3-flag replies as relevant, irrelevant, etc. (default to relevant)
If topic viewing mode is set to "relevant only" for a given topic, any User could see ALL replies with one click.

Sounds reasonable?

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

said by therau2000:

Fatness I understand your viewpoint and I believe some posters would abuse it; but I think the majority would not. On the other hand, I think you already know that the amount of irrelevant/useless/etc. replies is staggering as well.

Each topic starter will have their own definition of what is irrelevant, what is useless, and so on. Topics will often not be free discussions if the OP controls them. They will be managed content --- which will frequently mean managed to make sure opinions supporting the OP are the ones that survive while others are deleted. I am not saying that you in particular would do that. I'm saying that a significant number of people here would do so. Topics would be managed to express only this opinion; counter topics would spring up to express only the opposing view. Discussion would suffer greatly.

I think you are greatly underestimating the amount of censorship that readers would do here if given the chance.
--

Spensergig
Past my Prime
Premium,MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL

said by fatness:

I think you are greatly underestimating the amount of censorship that readers would do here if given the chance.

Agreed.
For example, I personally would probably have deleted this thread.

As a long-timer, I know that this topic comes up over and over, and the site users really can't be trusted.

therau2000

reply to fatness

It is true I am a new comer here and I have seen probably much less than 1% of all topics.

That being said, I understand where you are coming from; I will trust your judgment.

Expand your moderator at work

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to therau2000

*object*

therau2000

Hall the object of my request was to give "some" means to posters (topic owner) to keep replies "on topic"; otherwise discussions spiral into endless debate on anything but the subject at hand.

Even if poster was given rights to keep his/her own topic "on-topic", other people can always start another topic as they see fit. Therefore nobody is ever stopped from expressing their own opinion.

My request for such a feature was denied though.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

I've been around this site for a little while... I know perfectly well what you wanted. It is *expected* for other users to agree or object to requests that are made.

Answer this: If you had the power you ask for, would you have removed my previous post ?

Spensergig
Past my Prime
Premium,MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL
reply to therau2000

I think one thing you are missing is a very fundamental point of view at dslr: there will be only one topic owner, and his name shall be justin See Profile.

Anyone is allowed to start a topic, but the very act of hitting "Post Now!" grants ownership of that topic to dslr. justin See Profile and his appointed moderators will make any decisions as to whether the topic will stay in the forum it started in, get deleted, or get edited (aka moderated).

As the Original Poster, you have absolutely no special rights at dslr.
And most of us applaud that.
(You simply would not believe the garbage that has been posted in the past.)

therau2000

1 edit
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

It is *expected* for other users to agree or object to requests that are made.

I have zero problem with other people who disagree with me; that is part of life.
said by Hall:

Answer this: If you had the power you ask for, would you have removed my previous post ?

Why would I have removed it? It was "on-topic", was it not?
said by therau2000:

2011-12-11 12:46:31 That being said, I understand where you are coming from; I will trust your judgment.

said by therau2000:

2011-12-13 14:38:41 My request for such a feature was denied though.

I initially thought my request was reasonable; fatness 2011-12-11 09:00:49 gave pretty good reasons and turned it down. I can live with that.

Spensergig: What point are you trying to make by beating a dead horse?

jfgnet
12 Step Program
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
Limbo

If a topic gets too out of hand or off topic then you would use "Hey Mods". The moderator can either breakup and separate the thread into another or just lock the thread. The mods here are pretty efficient at their job.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to therau2000

said by therau2000:

Hall the object of my request was to give "some" means to posters (topic owner) to keep replies "on topic"; otherwise discussions spiral into endless debate on anything but the subject at hand.

you have that power, it is called the "hey mods" link under each post. report the posts and IF a mdoerator agrees it is off topic or against site rules, then they will remove it.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

said by davidg:

...it is off topic or against site rules, then they will remove it.

As already noted though, if the user has this ability, TOO MANY will simply delete posts that they don't "like".

therau2000

Hey mods, feature requested was already turned down !!!

Why do you keep beating a dead horse?

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
reply to therau2000

On behalf of my fellow compatriot, C_ See Profile...

*Object*

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing
reply to therau2000

said by therau2000:

Hey mods, feature requested was already turned down !!!

Why do you keep beating a dead horse?

It's just the way this forum works. Some people only visit this forum every once in awhile, and they comment at that time on suggestions that interest them. This topic may get comments for weeks, for that reason. Nobody's trying to beat you down or inflame things if they object; they've just seen the topic and are expressing their opinion on it.

It'll be fine.
--

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

Plus we Internet people love to ensure people know they have a "Jump To Conclusions Mat" grade idea.
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to therau2000

Hehe, just click this

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to fatness

said by fatness:

Some people only visit this forum every once in awhile, and they comment at that time on suggestions that interest them. This topic may get comments for weeks, for that reason.

Like me! I have to agree with the others -- the feature would be misused. "Hey Mods" is a feature that works great and it's best if we leave the janitorial type of work to fatness See Profile and his great crew of hard working Mods.

*object*

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01

1 recommendation

reply to therau2000

Objected,

However i would have no problem letting OP lock his own thread.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

said by silentlooker:

Objected,

However i would have no problem letting OP lock his own thread.

After thinking about it, me too / +1
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

How many times do we have to have the your idea is a "Jump to conclusions mat" level idea?

The moment a feature like this gets implemented, people get to shut down "their" topics as soon as people start disagreeing with them. It's ridiculous. I'd also like to point out that being the first to start a thread in no way indicates ownership of the discussion or any special privileges.
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

said by drew:

The moment a feature like this gets implemented, people get to shut down "their" topics as soon as people start disagreeing with them.

Yeap, that's exactly what will happen...

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to drew

said by drew:

How many times do we have to have the your idea is a "Jump to conclusions mat" level idea?

When you replied that, who are you talking to?

I use the auto quote feature so people know who I am talking to.

And just to be clear with what I said in my earlier post in this thread: I object to the idea that the OP suggested and I agree with silentlooker See Profile that
quote:
i would have no problem letting OP lock his own thread.

--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to fatness

Indeed it would be!!!!

Perhaps a test could be done on the dev/null message base ONLY to show just how bad it would be if it was global.. (Allow thread starters ON THAT BASE to control thier threads)

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to aefstoggaflm

I used the qreply feature so that people know whO I am talking to. :yawn:

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

said by davidg:

...it is off topic or against site rules, then they will remove it.

As already noted though, if the user has this ability, TOO MANY will simply delete posts that they don't "like".

Or delete posts from people they don't like.