All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

ktownhero
@teksavvy.com

ktownhero to Davesnothere

Anon

to Davesnothere

Re: Why is my Internet bandwidth usage so high?

""
Why charge for extra usage?

Every year, more and more bandwidth is being eaten up by consumers accessing information, downloading or streaming music and video content or playing online games. In fact, Internet traffic continues to grow every year in Canada. So, despite the fact that every year Cogeco invests significantly in its Internet network capacity in order to meet the growing traffic demands of its high-speed Internet customers, just like other Canadian Internet service providers, Cogeco still needs to manage its Internet traffic to ensure fair usage of the bandwidth among its end-user customers.

This pricing approach creates an incentive for customers to subscribe to the right package for their needs and control their usage. Usage-based billing is one of the tools recognized by the industry and by the CRTC to manage the growth of Internet traffic. In a nutshell, this economic measure promotes a manageable distribution of traffic on the Internet.

Also, given the different usage patterns of Internet end-users, this billing approach ensures fairness among customers. It is legitimate and fair that end-users consuming more bytes than the quantity of GB included in their packages pay more for their usage. ""

This is why I will never go back to cogeco. My family and I was with them since 2001 just after they rolled out high speed internet. After they started ubb years ago i switched me and my family members to indies. Almost everything said in that faq is pure horse shit. Its just a money grab pure and simple.

I would rather have to deal with 1.7mbit dsl w/300gb cap then give those greedy fu*ks another dime. I just hope tek can wholesale them soon or bell installs a remote in this city. Its kinda pathetic that I had better speeds 10 years ago for almost the same amount of money.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by ktownhero :

....Almost everything said in that faq is pure horse shit.

It's just a money grab pure and simple....

Basically true, but their excess usage rates are notably lower than B#ELL retail, and their caps are quite a bit higher.

Cogeco sees the writing on the wall, and is playing the middle ground while they can, which from a shareholder's view would be an appropriate business model, as long as the greed is not excessive.

And it's nice to get a Canadian call centre when you phone them.

I've dealt with them in the past for TV and Internet, and they have NEVER made an error on my statements.

Can we say that about B#ELL ?

Bell is both Greed AND Incompetence, combined and personified.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to ktownhero

Premium Member

to ktownhero
said by ktownhero :

....I just hope tek can wholesale them soon....

Yes, that day will bring joy to MY heart as well.

And it would not have to be tek, either.