Search similar:

uniqs
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck

Premium Member

Toilets

Damnit...... I hate doing plumbing work and i just spent about 15 minutes trying to unplug one of the toilets here at the house. Tried plunging then tried a snake, then plunged, I am hoping i didnt bork the wax ring.

Worse part was it was full of black water, just my luck.
Nasty.....

The stupid thing plugs up all of the time. The wife says I use too much poop paper, but i have seen the thing not flush right even when paper is not used. I know that if you dont stand there and hold the flusher down it wont flush properly or it will plug. Not sure as to why this occurs, but I think the only resolution is to replace the damn thing.

Anyone have input/info on what causes this?

How about suggestions on a replacement toilet?

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

You should not have to hold down the handle for proper flush. May want to check to see if the flapper valve is waterlogged. That will cause it to close too soon.

Check the water level in the tank - make sure it is at the correct level.

Is this the only toilet that has problems? Any gurgling at nearby sink to shower/tub? If so may have a plugged vent stack.

Always possible something is stuck in the trap, in that case will need to pop the toilet.

/tom

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

If the toilet is 5+ yrs old, it could have plugged jet holes due to lime/etc. Try pouring 1/2 bottle of CLR down the overflow tube inside the tank, and dont flush over night.

Changing the flapper isnt a bad idea either. A red korky flapper is one of the better choices.

good luck

-j
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

1 recommendation

PrntRhd to Hahausuck

Premium Member

to Hahausuck
Black water = stagnant water.
You may have a clog in the main line that needs cleared.

madylarian
The curmudgeonly
Premium Member
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD

madylarian to Hahausuck

Premium Member

to Hahausuck
It really sounds like your main line is clogged. We used to have the same problem and finally had a plumber come out and snake the main line. Tree roots had caused the problem. We also made sure that the air pipe (or whatever the pipe that vents out the roof to keep the water flowing is called) was clear.

mady
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned) to Hahausuck

to Hahausuck
said by Hahausuck:

Anyone have input/info on what causes this?

Maybe the electrician who wired your home is also a plumber or they both worked for the same cheap ass builder …

I have a preference for Kohler, fairly priced well made products and they come complete, that is to say if you buy a new wax ring and inlet tube you are good to go when you get home.

Wayne
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Hahausuck

Premium Member

to Hahausuck
said by Hahausuck:

American Standard Champion 4

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to Hahausuck

Anon

to Hahausuck
It seems unlikely your problem would require replacing the toilet.

It's either a drain/vent problem, or a water inlet problem. Get some thick solid wire (or a coat hanger) and use it to clean out all the holes under the rim.
dick white1
join:2011-08-10

dick white1 to Hahausuck

to Hahausuck
Replace with a Toto dual flush. Half flush for #1 and full flush for #2.

dw
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck to 49528867

Premium Member

to 49528867
Hah, possibly.

Everything is cheaply done.

Want to talk about drywall? Meh, that will be another thread.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

tcope to Hahausuck

Premium Member

to Hahausuck
Take 2 gallons of water and _quickly_ pour it into the bowl. It should flush on it's own. If it does not flush this way then I'd recommend removing it and checking the lower portion of for a clog. You can also than snake the drain and replace the wax seal. Anything could be clogging it and the best way to correct this is by removing the toilet.

The key to a good flush is filling up the bowl very quickly. If this does not happen, you probably won't have a good flush. Most of the "filling" is done via "jet port" at the bottom of the bowl. It's angle down the snake drain in order to jump start the siphon process.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

said by Hahausuck:

Indeed - now THAT is a true throne! I've installed 3 of them in my house, and at least 4 more for family members.

Once you get a Champion, anything else is.. Well... Just poop.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Actually, once you have installed a Kohler with their 3 bolt system you will never want any others. Not only do the Kohler toilets flush great but the design practically eliminates leaks as well as breaking of the tank due to over tightening. I have installed many of their Cimmarron toilets and have never had a problem.

"DryLock™ System
This exclusive system saves installation time and helps prevent water leakage. An innovative metal bracket, placed at the bottom of the tank, means that no bolt holes are drilled into the tank, virtually eliminating water leaks. Additionally, the installer can secure the tank to the bowl with only one tool, a socket wrench, without having to reach inside the tank."

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to dennismurphy

to dennismurphy
said by dennismurphy:

Indeed - now THAT is a true throne! I've installed 3 of them in my house, and at least 4 more for family members.

Once you get a Champion, anything else is.. Well... Just poop.

Well, here we suffice with Cadet 3 and it's plenty powerful.

Then again we're not fat donut eating "d'oh!" screaming americans.

/ROFLANTIAMERICANSTATEMENT_TOTALLY_2003!!

brian
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mission Viejo, CA

brian to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

said by Hahausuck:

Just put two of these in. EXCELLENT toilets. They gladly take what ever you give them.