join:2001-08-28
Toms River, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Analog Voice Gateways

Click for full size
Gateways and switches for local phones
Click for full size
Supplemental to VoIP rollout for analog phones on a large campus.

sedorox

join:2006-06-23
Williamsport, PA
kudos:1

Holy FXS Ports....
I like!
I'm assuming thats 16 FXO and 8 T1's pictured?
Did you run each switch back to your core?

jmich
Premium
Toms River, NJ

each switch is connected to core in main building. As for the ports, I believe you are correct on the count. This is also the Dmark for the campus voip system. There are several other gateways across campus for other analog phones.

sedorox

Williamsport, PA

Sweet!
Are you using CUCM, or you just using their equipment for something like Asterisk?
Nice setup, hopefully when you cable it up, it stays just as clean

jmich
Premium
Toms River, NJ

you lost me at CUCM..my expertise ended at the fiber terminations and the analog cross-connects

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2

CUCM = Cisco Unified Call Manager

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to jmich

any pics of the other side of the 25 pair terminations?

calvinj

join:2011-08-16
united state
reply to jmich

Curious what are the model of those?

Smokeshow
Premium
join:2009-02-26
Cold Lake, AB

I'm pretty sure that those are Cisco VG224's.

jmich
Premium
Toms River, NJ
reply to jeffmoss26

next time I'm thru there I'll snap a few pics. Nothing fancy just 110 blocks on the wall.

sedorox

Williamsport, PA
reply to jmich

said by jmich:

you lost me at CUCM..my expertise ended at the fiber terminations and the analog cross-connects

Ahh ok, terminating fiber is fun too

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Smokeshow

I thought they were 2431-16FXS at first but they are missing the WIC slot so they are probably 224s. We used to deploy the 2431 as a CPE at a customer site. We replaced them with Adtran TA900s because they are cheaper, have free support, free AOS updates, easier to troubleshoot, and they are more flexable.

jmich
Premium
Toms River, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to jeffmoss26

Click for full size
wall field
Click for full size
waterproof cabinet
Click for full size
conduits to ladder rack
Click for full size
Click for full size
inside
Click for full size
old roll pbx
Click for full size
UPS pre- generator

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
reply to jmich

That frame looks like it might be in decent shape and not all messy.

What's up with the weatherproof cabinet inside the building?

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

said by Hahausuck:

What's up with the weatherproof cabinet inside the building?

I was just about to ask the same question...

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8
reply to Hahausuck

If I had to guess... air conditioning. I've seen that done a number of places. (mostly in closets.)

Hahausuck
Premium

yeah ok but that doesn't really solve the problem. once you hvac a box like that in another space, you still need to be able to deal with the heat removed from the interior of said box.
--
"Saying something in another language that you don't think the other person understands is just saying that you're a pussy and are too afraid to say it in English." --Harddrive

jmich
Premium
Toms River, NJ
reply to Hahausuck

roof leaks...we scratched our heads too.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to jmich

Why all this for an obsolete technology? Why not just do VOIP directly and get rid of the phone wiring altogether?

Hahausuck
Premium
reply to jmich

So it was cheaper to put that cabinet in than fix the roof. Ok that makes sense.

That roof must have been expensive to fix because a properly done up box like that is 7 to 10 grand easily. Of course they probably cheaped out on that too so that's why it might likely be the reason it is there.
--
"Saying something in another language that you don't think the other person understands is just saying that you're a pussy and are too afraid to say it in English." --Harddrive

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to BiggA

said by BiggA:

Why all this for an obsolete technology? Why not just do VOIP directly and get rid of the phone wiring altogether?

Lack of suitable wiring (CAT5) in the building to the phone locations would be my guess.

My second guess would be that it's probably cheaper this way, than to purchase hundreds of VoIP phones to replace the existing POTS phones.

BiggA

EARTH

But POTS phones just aren't the same... They don't have all the features of the VOIP ones...

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by BiggA:

But POTS phones just aren't the same... They don't have all the features of the VOIP ones...

No, but they can get close enough that a digital phone system is a viable alternative. Beats rewiring and replacing all that hardware.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

BiggA

EARTH

You wouldn't have to rewire very much, as any desk would already have ethernet, and the phones can pass it through to the computer via their own internal switch.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8

Any large org will *NOT* mix voice and data traffic to the desktop. Also, how are they going to power all those phones? What happens to desktop connectivity when the phone fails, reboots, whatever? Very few voip phones are gigabit -- and the ones that are, aren't cheap.

If you have a large analog phone infrastructure, you don't rip it all out overnight.

[I work in an office with 10 people, and I run voip is on an isolated network.]

BiggA

EARTH

Why not? It's all Ethernet, it's all IP. Power them through PoE switches. Most desktops in organizations don't use gigabit.

That's great that you run it on a separate network, but that's not really necessary.

Do those Cisco systems hook up to a wholesale SIP provider just like any other VOIP solution? I'm sure they could hook up to the local phone company, but that wouldn't really make any sense cost wise once you're on a VOIP system...

jmich
Premium
Toms River, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to BiggA

Thats a good question. This campus has ALOT of analog phones. I guess it was cheaper than licensing all those IP phones. The VOiP upgrade was mostly to replace the dying Rolm PBX. Its a seasonal place and the IP desksets were placed in administrative offices. There are also ALOT of autodialers for remote building monitoring systems. There are additional VG's feeding analogs at the other end of campus as well. The old PBX was having trouble feeding those distant phones. Fiber was pulled to feed those VG's and all the distance problems disapeared. And yes, the cabinet was cheaper than fixing the roof or moving the telephone room. It weighs about 300lbs empty.

BiggA

EARTH

Oh so they did a few IP phones, and then the rest through the analog gateways?

jmich
Premium
Toms River, NJ

There were probably close to 200 IP phones deployed.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA
reply to BiggA

said by BiggA:

Why not? It's all Ethernet, it's all IP. Power them through PoE switches. Most desktops in organizations don't use gigabit.

That's great that you run it on a separate network, but that's not really necessary.

Do those Cisco systems hook up to a wholesale SIP provider just like any other VOIP solution? I'm sure they could hook up to the local phone company, but that wouldn't really make any sense cost wise once you're on a VOIP system...

I don't mean to sound rude, but are you new to IT? It makes a heck of a difference properly laying out your network. As already mentioned if not for the fact of having an additional failure point of the phone as a switch or the phone not being gigabit. Also not having all the extra load on the data network. QoS can only do so much. Also unless his campus was new I doubt it's all wired with a minimum of cat5e. Running cable throughout campuses is not simple or cheap. All the switch gear with PoE is pricey. Also quite a few organizations that are clients of mine or I've worked for use gigabit. The cost of IP phones are also tenfold over digital or analog.
--
Edrick Smith
Independent Film & Broadcast Producer
»edricksmith.com