Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to TheMG

Re: Analog Voice Gateways

I could tell them where I am. By building name. Same as by landline.

The bigger cell sites are diesel backed-up. We have two cell sites, the bigger and taller one is definitely diesel backed up. Most of the sites in CT are diesel backed up, for AT&T and Verizon. T-Mobile and Sprint don't seem to care, and they don't build shelters for the gear, just little outdoor cabinets.

I'm pretty sure the cell carriers put a lot of effort into keeping their networks running. Well, AT&T and Verizon that is.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium
join:2004-09-11
Woburn, MA
reply to jmich

I'm loving this spotty cell service and complete areas without cell service because of the blackout. Even better is yesterday when all those college kids were using their cell service to call people over loading the network. A bunch of the city is still without power or traffic lights. Temp power feeders all over.

Our good ol analog / hard wired systems still work pisser along with our network infrastructure on backup.
--
Edrick Smith
Independent Film & Broadcast Producer
»edricksmith.com

BiggA

EARTH

I like my AT&T, but I'll admit, it's Verizon who is always up no matter what happens. They voluntarily have 8 hours of battery backup plus many hours of diesel fuel at every cell site that it's possible. Verizon basically never goes down during power disruptions. I wish AT&T would take a cue and do the same, or out-do Verizon.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

said by BiggA:

I like my AT&T, but I'll admit, it's Verizon who is always up no matter what happens. They voluntarily have 8 hours of battery backup plus many hours of diesel fuel at every cell site that it's possible. Verizon basically never goes down during power disruptions. I wish AT&T would take a cue and do the same, or out-do Verizon.

Verizon goes out just as often as AT&T does during an emergency. It's not the power that's the issue, it's the amount of traffic. There's a reason that during 9/11, emergency communications ground to a halt, and that during Katrina, the Louisiana government used land-lines and Sat Phones.

BiggA

EARTH

Isn't there priority access for government, aid, and emergency workers?

I am just referencing general, non-emergency power outages. Verizon is rock solid, AT&T goes on the fritz within a few minutes.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

1 recommendation

There should be, but not on mobile communications.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to BiggA

On paper, yes. Telco's are well known for cutting corners and just paying the fines later. (also, there's only so much protected capacity for 911; it can still be swamped.)

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to BiggA

Cabinet based sites can be batteried and genset powered too.

But if you are building a cabinet-only site chances are you are a cheap ass, not willing to drop in an LP or diesel fed genset.

So therefore we go back to your statement.
--
"Saying something in another language that you don't think the other person understands is just saying that you're a pussy and are too afraid to say it in English." --Harddrive

BiggA

EARTH
reply to sk1939

There actually is.

I'm not comparing cabinet and bunker sites, just saying that Verizon has more backup than anyone else.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

said by BiggA:

There actually is.

On paper like cramer said, just not usually in practice.