Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4

Switching from ATT to FUSION and changing account name.

My son lives in Albany, CA and has DSL service with sonic.net on an ATT land line. We would like to upgrade to fusion service.

The problem is that the land-line phone number is in the name of his brother who moved out two years ago and currently lives in Vermont.

We just went online to order fusion and the form required him to put the name of the person who is on the ATT bill and to certify that he was that person.

We don't really want to have the line in his brother's name. We want it to be in his name and keep the existing number if possible.

What's the best way of going about this?

Thanks.

av9116

join:2001-12-17
South San Francisco, CA
The times that I called AT&T, all they ask for identification is the last three numbers of your account number. The three numbers come after your phone number on the phone bill.

Or, you can have his brother actually call AT&T to change the name.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
Pacifica, CA

1 edit
AT&T will not change the name on a phone number. We went through this when my wife died. They insist you get a new number. Getting a new number would break our existing Sonic DSL.

Besides we want to move to Sonic fusion, not stay with ATT.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
In order to find out what the Sonic policies on change of account holder are, you better contact Sonic directly. This is not something that a lot of users have to go through.

If it is important to you that the phone number is listed with your sons name, I do suggest to give a try changing the name on the AT&T account first before upgrading to Fusion. The reason is that Sonic does not do white listing or publish phone books while AT&T does. That is different from Caller Id where Sonic will of course show the correct information for any calls made from a Fusion phone line.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

wa2ibm
Premium
join:2000-10-10
San Jose, CA
reply to jmorlan
I find it hard to believe that you can't change the name on an AT&T account. I've done it before, you just have to get approval from both parties, which is the only thing that you may have trouble with if you can't have the brother give that approval. I'd ask for a supervisor if the AT&T agent gives you any grief on that.
--
- Bill

mdurkin

join:1999-08-11
San Bruno, CA
reply to jmorlan
You can change the name (responsible party) on an AT&T phone line without changing phone number with approval of the person whose name it was previously in. It happens all the time when a roomate moves out and the remaining ones want to keep the same number. Most likely you got bad/unhelpful information from AT&T personnel in dealing with it after your wife died.

BUT if you change the responsible party on a phone line with legacy DSL on it with AT&T (they call it "supercedure") it is treated internally as a disconnect/reconnect and you will lose the DSL with no notice to your ISP.

I suggest you contact Sonic. Most likely they will arrange to bring the line over to Fusion and just update their records. The certifications you are facing are to meet Sonic's obligations to verify authority on the existing phone line, but they should be able to accommodate your perfectly legitimate request especially with approval from the person whose name the AT&T line is still in.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
Pacifica, CA
Thanks. The situation with my wife was that she was unable to agree to the change because she was deceased. AT&T was completely unwilling or unable to change the name on the phone number unless the responsible party agreed and she was the responsible party as far as AT&T was concerned. We tried escalating to the highest levels at AT&T without success.

The DSL that's on the line now is from Sonic, but I think it's basically resold ATT service. So do you think that because it's considered a disconnect / reconnect that the DSL will be cut off? Or will it just be reconnected automatically?

I think we will probably follow your advice and just go for it and then get the name on the account changed after the switch to Fusion. Sonic has always been easier to deal with than AT&T.

mdurkin

join:1999-08-11
San Bruno, CA
It doesn't matter that the DSL you have now is with Sonic if it's on top of an AT&T phone line. When the name change/supercedure goes through on the voice side, the lineshare will be removed, and it won't be restored automatically. It's worse than re-ordering on a brand new AT&T voice line with no DSL on it, because a DSL disconnect order needs to first flow through the DSL order systems before Sonic could reorder the wholesale DSL, which delays things for a few extra days at least.