how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

therau2000

join:2011-11-20
reply to fatness

Re: Give Creator of a Topic moderation rights to own Topic

Fatness I understand your viewpoint and I believe some posters would abuse it; but I think the majority would not. On the other hand, I think you already know that the amount of irrelevant/useless/etc. replies is staggering as well.

There must be a way to give "some" control to posters in order to keep subject on track.
What about giving posters the ability to:
1-set expectations for replies to the topic: anything welcome, prefer relevant only, etc.
2-set topic's default viewing with something like: all, relevant only, etc.
3-flag replies as relevant, irrelevant, etc. (default to relevant)
If topic viewing mode is set to "relevant only" for a given topic, any User could see ALL replies with one click.

Sounds reasonable?

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

said by therau2000:

Fatness I understand your viewpoint and I believe some posters would abuse it; but I think the majority would not. On the other hand, I think you already know that the amount of irrelevant/useless/etc. replies is staggering as well.

Each topic starter will have their own definition of what is irrelevant, what is useless, and so on. Topics will often not be free discussions if the OP controls them. They will be managed content --- which will frequently mean managed to make sure opinions supporting the OP are the ones that survive while others are deleted. I am not saying that you in particular would do that. I'm saying that a significant number of people here would do so. Topics would be managed to express only this opinion; counter topics would spring up to express only the opposing view. Discussion would suffer greatly.

I think you are greatly underestimating the amount of censorship that readers would do here if given the chance.
--
their dreams a tattered sail in the wind

Spensergig
Past my Prime
Premium,MVM
join:2000-03-26
Bradenton, FL

said by fatness:

I think you are greatly underestimating the amount of censorship that readers would do here if given the chance.

Agreed.
For example, I personally would probably have deleted this thread.

As a long-timer, I know that this topic comes up over and over, and the site users really can't be trusted.

therau2000

join:2011-11-20
reply to fatness

It is true I am a new comer here and I have seen probably much less than 1% of all topics.

That being said, I understand where you are coming from; I will trust your judgment.