All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
suceress
join:2008-04-04

suceress to ArizonaSteve

to ArizonaSteve

Re: Formerly Unlimited (really) 3G card

Well, we took the plunge and got Millenicom. It required 4 bars of signal to get the software on the computer updated to make it work. Unfortunately it seems that for whatever reason we were only getting 2 bars in the same spot we previously got 5. But we were able to take the laptop outside (the modem has to be plugged directly into the computer) to a good spot and get it loaded. Tech support is in the US and they don't follow scripts, so they were very helpful.

I don't have any amplifiers or antennas and I have a metal roof so it seems my signal gets interrupted for a few minutes every once in awhile, but I am still getting lower latency and faster speeds than Hughesnet.

I admit that I don't even know what 1xrtt is, but I think I saw that somewhere on the Sprint SmartView software thing.

I plan to get an amplifier and antenna to boost my signal and see if it helps to improve signal strength to make things more efficient.

Since Hughesnet is phasing out the modem I use and the Ku band satellite and I'm not eligible for the new modem using their Ka band satellite, this is about the only option I've found for internet out here.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve

suceress, an amplifier probably isn't needed if you get an acceptable signal outside. I don't get a very strong signal inside either even though all the wireless carriers have towers within a mile of my house so I put an antenna on the roof to use for all my wireless needs. After trying several different styles if antennas with less than acceptable results, I found that a Wilson Electronics Dual Band Trucker Antenna works very well and they only cost about $30 on Amazon. I got one with a threaded base and mounted it on a magnet mount and stuck it on the roof but you can also use a clamp on mount. It comes with about 20' of lead in cable attached but one drawback of the Wilson is they use their own proprietary FME connector on the end of the cable so you have to get a matching pigtail with either a connector on the end to match your device or a flat pad to place on the outside. The pigtails are available on ebay to fit just about any device however. I got an external pad to use on my Blackberry since it doesn't have an antenna jack but it works on the Sprint USB device too just by sticking it on the outside and gives me a full 5 bars.
»www.amazon.com/Wilson-El ··· 06VSHE4/