WoofieInPC
Premium Member
join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC to dishrich

Premium Member

to dishrich

Re: [TiVo] TiVo w/no subscription = DTA

Hmmm, maybe, but wouldn't you have to go through the guided setup when you start up? I just cancelled the sub for my Series 2 this week, and wiped it when I did. Perhaps later I'll try and see what happens.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

I was only talking about (not) needing the 1 year commitment to the Tivo service, when you buy a new Tivo box...

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

Yes, but when you turn on the BOX, it has to go through a setup process, and it wants to connect to do so, and checks your accounts status when it does. Your TIVO account status... and not having SERVICE would mean that wouldn't go through. Now, I've never needed to avoid it, but seems to me it MIGHT be a pain in the ass to get around.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

Yes, but when you are setting up a new, virgin box (that you JUST bought) you actually get a "trial" period of service (I believe it's a week) that DOES allow you to complete the setup process. You would then sign up for the actual service AFTER you do this process - but if you do NOT get service, then the box basically "turns off" all the Tivo functions, except for live pause.
And (AGAIN) - if you are NOT signing up for (new) service, Tivo CANNOT get a year's commitment of service out of you, IF you did NOT sign up for it in the first place - get it???

Read the other replies here & go over to the tivocommunity & it will bear this out...

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to WoofieInPC

to WoofieInPC
Yes I've had to do the guided setup without the subscription and its the same steps as if you had one just be careful when your viewing channels because the wrong button press will pop up the nag pages.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to dishrich

to dishrich
»www.tivo.com/abouttivo/p ··· ons.html

»www3.tivo.com/buytivo/ti ··· pup.html

»www3.tivo.com/buytivo/po ··· ees.html