Nanoprobe
Looking for cures in memory of Mom
Premium
join:2003-05-11
Crab Nebula
kudos:2
reply to Leathal

Re: [Cooling] Dell XPS 17 3D

Attempting to overclock anything on any OEM laptop is a very bad idea IMHO and probably not possible anyway. OEMs like Dell, HP, whoever usually lock down their BIOS which makes overclocking virtually impossible.

Leathal
Premium
join:2002-02-09
canada

Thanks. But your answer doesn't answer my question...

Besides I have readly looked through other other mainstream overclocking forms about the XPS 17 3D, and there is room to push to the clock safely.

I forget to mention...I am still looking for answer to my original question?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Whatever's cheapest at Bestbuy. Or you can spend lots of money on a laptop pad if you wish.

Leathal
Premium
join:2002-02-09
canada

I have a cheap one, but because of where one of the vents it located it doesn't get any good airflow which is why I am asking the question...

I guess I will have to go to one of the more mainstream overclocking sites and ask them.

Later
L

Nanoprobe
Looking for cures in memory of Mom
Premium
join:2003-05-11
Crab Nebula
Reviews:
·magicjack.com

said by Leathal:

Besides I have readly looked through other other mainstream overclocking forms about the XPS 17 3D, and there is room to push to the clock safely.

Whatever slight gain might be made by overclocking will be lost with the extra wear and tear not to mention the extra heat. Trust me, it's not worth it. Laptops were not designed to overclock. The heat you're getting now will get worse and a pad won't make much difference.
--
A society that murders its' children is on a path of destruction. 52,008,665 and counting since 1973.
#1 rule for Democrats: Common sense is an option.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Nanoprobe

said by Nanoprobe:

Attempting to overclock anything on any OEM laptop is a very bad idea IMHO and probably not possible anyway. OEMs like Dell, HP, whoever usually lock down their BIOS which makes overclocking virtually impossible.

Dell had a XPS laptop with a unlocked bios with Intel Core2 Extreme (unlocked multi)

it allowed users to overclock the CPU from 2.6(X7800)/2.8(x7900) to 3.4GHz