spc
uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

1 edit

alkizmo to nunya

to nunya

Re: Generator house link project - The progress.

said by nunya:

From what I gather, it sounds like you intend on possibly paralleling small conductors either now or in the future.
I *highly* doubt the CEC allows paralleling small conductors as you intend. The reason I say this: It goes against common sense and good electrical practice.

Code says I can cram 9 10AWG conductors in 3/4.
I could go 1 1/2 I guess, just for "good measures" and having a lot of space to re-run wires through it (large gauge are extremely unflexible after all).

Another user said 2" but those cost 3x as much as 3/4" and well.... some people say I can run other stuff in there... but I'm with you Nunya, on the fact that I shouldn't run other things in there.

As for paralleling small conductors... what choice do I have aside from running two trenches? By code, if I were to run two raceways, they'd need to be 12 inches apart, that's pretty much a second trench, unless I'm using an excavator. Portable trenchers would only fall into a ditch any wider than what they create.

I can't find 6000W-8000W portable generators that allow outputting all power through one outlet, thus using only one set of conductors.

They all split into 2x30A outlets. How else would I bring these 2x30A outlets without two sets?

If you have a solution as to re-combine those 2x30A outlets into one 60A circuit, then I'm all for upgrading my wires to 6AWG. They're still in their shrinkwrapped spools.
said by peterboro:

I'm sure you covered this in previous threads but I can run a natural gas furnace and fridge with a 1200W. This isn't a theoretical premise as I have used the gen several times during power outages with both and didn't have to keep the fan on.

Sounds a bit extreme, then again I don't know the size of your appliances. Yes theorically both can run on 1200W as long as the generator has another 500W-1000W peak wattage.

But then you have space for nothing else

Reason I'd leave the furnace fan on is to give myself even more power usage room and create less surge watt demand on the generator. A generator prefers a steady demand vs. many surges.
said by jack b:

Why don't you design it for 240 volts to start with: go with 2 hots a neutral and ground?

You're unnecessarily limiting yourself with a 120 volt circuit. I'd run 4#10 conductors and 30 amp L14-30p plug connectors. If you only want 120 volt only use 3 conductors for now.

If you're planning on attempting pulling or pushing those cables in pvc, don't go under 1-1/2 inch diameter.

And do yourself a favor and don't backfill the trench until after the wire is run in the pipe.

Because of generator capacity. If I was to run 2 hots, 1 neutral 1 ground, guess what, I'd be limited to 30A total on 120v/240v.

Generators over 6000W with 240v have two outlets.
1x 120V 30A
1x 120/240 30A

I want 60A, I don't care for 240V.

Why no 240V? Again, only dryer and stove use 240V. And within a year or two, our stove will be natural gas.

I could run a 7th wire in there to support 240v on one of the wire sets, and ya I'm thinking of 1 1/2" inch now.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

said by jack b:

Why don't you design it for 240 volts to start with: go with 2 hots a neutral and ground?

You're unnecessarily limiting yourself with a 120 volt circuit. I'd run 4#10 conductors and 30 amp L14-30p plug connectors. If you only want 120 volt only use 3 conductors for now.

Because of generator capacity. If I was to run 2 hots, 1 neutral 1 ground, guess what, I'd be limited to 30A total on 120v/240v.

Generators over 6000W with 240v have two outlets.
1x 120V 30A
1x 120/240 30A

I want 60A, I don't care for 240V.

Um, you can pull 60A @120v out of that 30A 120/240 outlet if it's split up. While it's only 30A at 240v, when you split it to 120v with a neutral each hot leg can then provide 30A so it's really 2x 30A. This gives you your 60A while only using 4 wires (2x hot, 1 neutral, 1 ground) instead of 6.

/M
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Sounds a bit extreme, then again I don't know the size of your appliances. Yes theorically both can run on 1200W as long as the generator has another 500W-1000W peak wattage.

It's rated Output.•1200W Surge: Max AC output: 1000W but I think like our beer Canadian watts are probably stronger than their American counterparts.