spc
uniqs
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe

Re: IPv6 beta

Also please consider signing up for Google's IPv6 program to get whitelisted for Google (search, GMail, Google Apps, Blogger, Google+, etc.)/YouTube over v6.

»services.google.com/fb/f ··· estipv6/

Mersault
join:2007-10-26
Toronto, ON

Mersault

said by 34764170:

Also please consider signing up for Google's IPv6 program to get whitelisted for Google (search, GMail, Google Apps, Blogger, Google+, etc.)/YouTube over v6.

In the meantime you can use he.net's nameservers. 2001:470:20::2 will get you what you need.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by Mersault:

said by 34764170:

In the meantime you can use he.net's nameservers. 2001:470:20::2 will get you what you need.

I'm very well aware of that and have been doing so since their name servers were initially whitelisted but it would be more beneficial for TSI users for TSI to finally get their name servers whitelisted too.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda

Premium Member

It would definitely be more beneficial.

The issue with using HE's DNS servers is that it sometimes returns suboptimal IPv4 addresses when DNS global load balancing is being used by the site you're trying to visit.

For example, using HE's DNS servers, I occasionally get like 200-500Kbps/s to the iTunes Store. Changing the DNS to TSI's DNS servers and flushing my DNS cache immediately returns performance to 25Mbps. Changing back to HE's DNS and flushing the cache again slows me down to sub megabit speeds.

With IPv6, because TSI uses HE for v6 transit you always get a pretty optimal return address for IPv6 requests. If any DNS GSLB is used for V6 at all (and I'm not sure how common that is yet), the addresses you get back are provided for HE's backbone and your packets are headed straight there (probably via TORIX) anyways.

It's basically always -best- to use a DNS server directly attached to your local backbone to get optimal IP resolution. So I'd second/third/etc TSI opting their v6 DNS servers into Google's V6 whitelist.