All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

[OT] Rack Mount Brackets

Why is it so damn hard to get customers to send the brackets back with the router? Am I missing something here? I did an upgrade with a customer last week and they sent back 7 2811s and not one of them came back with the rack mounts in any of the boxes. I have this happen all the time with all kinds of gear. What's makes rack mounts so valuable?
krock83
join:2010-03-02

krock83

Maybe you should include that in the notes what to send back. Where I work We don't send them back ether unless specified otherwise. They are really not valuable you can pick them up for fairly cheep on ebay, but what I think it is that the customers are lazy to unscrew the brackets from the racks which results in more time plus they would have to put them on again when they receive new equipment.

battleop

battleop

"Where I work We don't send them back ether unless specified otherwise."

I guess you keep the power cord too?
krock83
join:2010-03-02

krock83 to battleop

to battleop
Correct, Sometimes the vendor will ask for them but 98% of the time we keep them as well.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939 to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
If we have to send stuff out, we send out the brackets as well, but keep things like the power cord, which have no need to be sent back.

Paulg
Displaced Yooper
Premium Member
join:2004-03-15
Neenah, WI

Paulg to krock83

Premium Member

to krock83
Every piece of cisco kit I've racked requires the rackmount ears to be attached before the kit goes in to the rack. So they're likely taking extra time to remove the brackets from the kit before putting it in the box.

battleop

battleop to sk1939

to sk1939
Why wouldn't you send everything that was sent to you back?

I guess I expect too much of people. If I se
battleop

battleop to sk1939

to sk1939
Why wouldn't you send everything that was sent to you back?

I guess I expect too much of people. Most of the people I deal with are supposed to be pretty smart. I never thought I would have to specify every part that I sent to begin with.

If I send gear back I send what was sent to me decently packed. I am smart enough to know that if they sent me a router, rack mounts, and a power cord that they want all of it back instead of part of it back.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121

Premium Member

Smart != Considerate
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
I cannot get people to return 200$ rack rails. Getting those 5$ bent pieces of sheet metal back is nothing. My favorite is the a**holes who pull equipment from the rack and leave the rack-side rails behind. Dammit, those things are expensive (and often next to impossible to replace.)

Surprisingly, when we started sending bills to people who don't return the rails, or don't ship the kit back in the original box, they quickly found those things. The 85lb server goes in *that* box; if you ship it in anything else, it will be damaged, we will refuse it, and you will be billed the full $50k price for the server. (which actually costs us about 2k$.) The terms for getting a demo are very clear on this.

(I have pictures from the idiots in France shipping a demo around wrapped in bubble wrap in a dell box. Lets just say, there are holes in that box now. The French sales weenies never got another box.)

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
Mostly because being a channel partner the only things we send back are items for warranty repair (what we can't fix ourselves), items being disposed, or items that are being traded in. We send in the power adapters, but for the most part we don't send back the IEC cable because we never see a reason to, and don't want to have to redo the rack cable every time we change a piece of gear.