spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Surpass NOT
@184.65.127.x

Surpass NOT

Anon

Surpass Web hosting RAID

Anyone else have this problem? they tel me there is nothing they can do! what a joke this is! I have lost 4 clients over this crap! IM so done with surpass hosting!! No back up was made at all for this dedicated server, I have had it! PERIOD!

Surpass hosting:

Hello,

Thank you for your patience and cooperation. At this time the server is still undergoing the RAID rebuild and I understand the frustration that you have been experiencing due to the amount that this effects your mail and FTP usage on a severe level. Unfortunately, this is simply unavoidable. When dealing with servers in any manner when a hard drive becomes degraded it must be rebuilt into the server configuration to ensure that that server remains online and your data does not become corrupt. Currently the RAID configuration status is as below:

Unit UnitType Status %RCmpl %V/I/M Stripe Size(GB) Cache AVrfy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
u0 RAID-5 REBUILDING 23% - 64K 1396.96 OFF OFF
u1 SINGLE OK - - - 698.481 OFF OFF

There is nothing that we can do to expedite this process and it is completely software automated making our hand in this merely a hindrance. If you require further information in regards to the rebuild please let us know however at this time all that can be done it be patient and wait for its completion.

Surpass hosting have offered me one month free hosting compensation for this catastrophic occurrence....please....
that covers the phone call I made to my client pleading them not to change companies. Surpass hosting? Give me a break!!

Surpass hosting? you just lost a 5 year client that has referred over 100 clients to you to date. They have all been instructed to change servers immediately and tell everyone possible that they know on and off line about this 100% unprofessional service and loss of income they have occurred because of it.

Signed, a 5 year Ex Surpass hosting dissatisfied customer. Dec 12 - 2011

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

I'm confused...what are you looking for them to do / what are you upset at them for? It feels like you think they somehow caused this or something?

Surpass NOT
@184.65.127.x

Surpass NOT

Anon

Obviously they have not created this, but what bout the compensation for my clients losses? what bout my loss of 4 clients? They have not offered anything in compensation nor have they offered to simply move my email mx doc to Google and bounce them of the Viva server. This is a joke of service and professionalism. Unacceptable.

luma9
Premium Member
join:2004-08-17
Port Coquitlam, BC

1 recommendation

luma9

Premium Member

What exactly do you want them to do? They can't speed up how fast the RAID is being rebuilt, no one can.

Drives will fail, no one can change that and rebuilding raid arrays has always taken a long time, no one can speed that up. You can't magically rebuild an array faster just because.

Where are your backups? Where is your disaster recovery plan?
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to Surpass NOT

Premium Member

to Surpass NOT
I don't see what's wrong with what surpass is doing either. Drives (and other hardware as well), no matter how good and well maintained they are will fail, and when that happens the array will need to be rebuilt. If you want absolutely 100% uptime you'll need need a redundant backup for whatever you're serving from your server. If you don't it's not the Surpass' problem, but your own. The same problem will occur again with your dedi at your next webhost.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to Surpass NOT

MVM

to Surpass NOT
said by Surpass NOT :

Obviously they have not created this, but what bout the compensation for my clients losses?

They did offer you one free month of hosting. For something that i sbeyond their own control, I think that is quite generous. As the others have mentioned, what is your disaster recovery plan? If you don't have one, then it is your own fault to have lost clients and business.

kieranmullen
Premium Member
join:2005-12-12
Portland, OR

kieranmullen to luma9

Premium Member

to luma9
What happened to hot swap raids that can rebuild themselves versus taking the entire thing offline?
kieranmullen

kieranmullen

Premium Member

So is this perhaps they are using software raid instead of a hardware raid? One would think you could reformat the damaged one and then rebuild it and use it at the same time.