Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Licka

join:2011-12-13
Columbus, MS

LiveStreamer Looking for Help

Hello All,

I Make my Living Through LiveStreaming of me Gaming and I just moved to Mississippi From Ohio and have a few questions about the internet down here.. First off I Need Atleast 1.5mbs Upload speed to livestream and currently cannot find a single High Speed internet company in this area.. No fiber optics or anything.. I see this Cable One but the upload is only like 1-2mbs a second for 50mbs download? and theres a Usage cap.. I know in Ohio i would have 10mbs upload with 15mbs download.. why is the upload so so low here.. But does anyone have any help for me.. This is how i make a living.. and I really need something with no Usage cap or a large usage cap since im Livestreaming 12+ hours a day.. and minimum 1.5mbs upload speed! HELP PLEASE!!!!

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne

The best thing I can suggest to you is sign up with a business tier.

»www.cableone.net/FYB/Pages/inter···ata.aspx

If you want no usage cap whatsoever, it might cost you a bit more than you're comfortable with.

I hate the caps just as much as anyone else; that's why I'm not budging off of my 10/1 unlimited grandfathered residential tier until I have to move.

I do know that the 50/3 plan (300 GB cap) is around $110 per month when you sign a contract with them.

The upload speed is low because cable is still very much restricted on upload bandwidth due to the technological differences compared to fiber.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

Licka

Columbus, MS

K thanks I'll give them a call first thing tomorrow.. Thanks for the quick reply as well.. Internet down south seems crazy overpriced and nothing for your money.. slow internet down here costs as much as my fiber optics internet in Ohio ..

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne

said by Licka:

K thanks I'll give them a call first thing tomorrow.. Thanks for the quick reply as well.. Internet down south seems crazy overpriced and nothing for your money.. slow internet down here costs as much as my fiber optics internet in Ohio .. Do you know what the price ranges will be on the business package?

I agree that it is quite overpriced. C1 has always been bad about that, but they only poured salt in the wound once they introduced usage caps.

You could check to see if U-verse has any business tiers available in your area, but keep in mind they have limited upload speeds as well and a 250 GB cap.

From what I understand from a friend, 50/3 is around $110 per month with a contract (300 GB cap); $130 per month without. I'd wager that the unlimited tier is around $200 per month, but that's just a guess. They don't seem to list business tier pricing on their website so you'd have to phone them.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

Licka

Columbus, MS

Thank you! Yea U-Verse was my first option I did a Zip Code test and said there were none in my area (sadface) so yea guess I'll give these Thieves Cable One a call tomorrow.. seems very Dictatorial only 1 High Speed internet company around so they can Put limits and price however they want.. Without any worry of Competition taking there customers.. very sad

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne

said by Licka:

Thank you! Yea U-Verse was my first option I did a Zip Code test and said there were none in my area (sadface) so yea guess I'll give these Thieves Cable One a call tomorrow.. seems very Dictatorial only 1 High Speed internet company around so they can Put limits and price however they want.. Without any worry of Competition taking there customers.. very sad

DSL and C1 has been here for the past 10 years or so, but only months ago did U-verse finally make its way here.

And before I could afford CableOne's internet package, I had to deal with shoddy 1.5 meg DSL that disconnected every time it rained.. but that's another story.

C1 has been rock solid for me for the most part. I only recall a couple of outages.. one being where lightning struck my backyard and fried the tap, another being where my TV was injecting foreign voltage into the line, randomly knocking my modem offline. Their field techs have also been very understanding, but others have received the occasional idiot.

Do let us know how your experience goes!
--
CableOne 10m/1m

Licka

Columbus, MS

I will do! Thanks.. Any Reason the Upload Speeds are so so Low Here in Mississippi.. I know Usually in Ohio the Upload would almost always be near or Equal the Download.. for example if you had a 25mbs Download youd have a 21+mbs upload.. Just seems crazy to me that you have to buy a 50mbs Download just to get 2mbs Upload.. I find it very hard to understand

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne

In cable internet, overall available upload bandwidth is still very small compared to download bandwidth because upload frequencies reside on the lower end of the frequency spectrum, thus they are more prone to noise and the connection is shared with everyone else on your node.

That.. and lack of competition. This allows C1 to continue reusing their current infrastructure as long as they like without having to upgrade.. so they get to keep more $$$. There are 3 broadband ISPs in my area. AT&T, C1, and DSL-by-air, a WISP. They both pretty much have the same speed offerings. Nothing stellar.

CableOne does offer fiber solutions, but the installation and monthly costs associated with it would pretty much make it only practical for, let's say, a public school or a medium/large sized business. But if you've got the dough, I'm pretty sure they'll be happy to give you some fiber. According to their website, you can pretty much sign up with whatever speed you'd like (from 5 mbps to 1 gbps and beyond) and there *probably* isn't any usage cap involved.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne
reply to Licka

said by Licka:

Hello All,

I Make my Living Through LiveStreaming

My girlfriend frequently utilizes Livestreaming herself, but she mainly just draws stuff for people. It doesn't seem to really affect my 1 meg upload, but we're not talking HD or high frame rate streaming either.

Needless to say, it still ends up being a big chunk of my usage. I could never live with CableOne's puny 50 or 100 GB cap offerings.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

Licka

Columbus, MS

Thanks for all the information.. I'll try and check out all my options.. Yeah I'm Streaming 1080p Gaming eats up aloooot of usage.. I'm not sure if I could even have a cap 8-12hours a day almost everyday the Download speed really doesnt affect me i could live with 10mbs its having a 1.5+mbs and 1.5 is bottom of barrel.. really need 3+ but can live with 1.5mbs upload.. but thanks again for everything

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
Gautier, MS

You're welcome.

Let us know if you need anymore help or have any other questions.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

areoh

join:2001-11-10
Kansas City, MO

Not to change the subject, but how does one make a living steaming their gameplay via the Internet? Just curious.
--
»www.areoh.com