Hall to therau2000

MVM

to therau2000

Re: Give Creator of a Topic moderation rights to own Topic

*object*
therau2000
join:2011-11-20

therau2000

Hall the object of my request was to give "some" means to posters (topic owner) to keep replies "on topic"; otherwise discussions spiral into endless debate on anything but the subject at hand.

Even if poster was given rights to keep his/her own topic "on-topic", other people can always start another topic as they see fit. Therefore nobody is ever stopped from expressing their own opinion.

My request for such a feature was denied though.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

I've been around this site for a little while... I know perfectly well what you wanted. It is *expected* for other users to agree or object to requests that are made.

Answer this: If you had the power you ask for, would you have removed my previous post ?
therau2000

1 edit

therau2000

said by Hall:

It is *expected* for other users to agree or object to requests that are made.

I have zero problem with other people who disagree with me; that is part of life.
said by Hall:

Answer this: If you had the power you ask for, would you have removed my previous post ?

Why would I have removed it? It was "on-topic", was it not?
said by therau2000:

2011-12-11 12:46:31 That being said, I understand where you are coming from; I will trust your judgment.

said by therau2000:

2011-12-13 14:38:41 My request for such a feature was denied though.

I initially thought my request was reasonable; fatness 2011-12-11 09:00:49 gave pretty good reasons and turned it down. I can live with that.

Spensergig: What point are you trying to make by beating a dead horse?

jfgnet
12 Step Program
Premium Member
join:2001-02-14
Limbo

jfgnet

Premium Member

If a topic gets too out of hand or off topic then you would use "Hey Mods". The moderator can either breakup and separate the thread into another or just lock the thread. The mods here are pretty efficient at their job.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to therau2000

MVM

to therau2000
said by therau2000:

Hall the object of my request was to give "some" means to posters (topic owner) to keep replies "on topic"; otherwise discussions spiral into endless debate on anything but the subject at hand.

you have that power, it is called the "hey mods" link under each post. report the posts and IF a mdoerator agrees it is off topic or against site rules, then they will remove it.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by davidg:

...it is off topic or against site rules, then they will remove it.

As already noted though, if the user has this ability, TOO MANY will simply delete posts that they don't "like".
therau2000

therau2000

Hey mods, feature requested was already turned down !!!

Why do you keep beating a dead horse?

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

said by therau2000:

Hey mods, feature requested was already turned down !!!

Why do you keep beating a dead horse?

It's just the way this forum works. Some people only visit this forum every once in awhile, and they comment at that time on suggestions that interest them. This topic may get comments for weeks, for that reason. Nobody's trying to beat you down or inflame things if they object; they've just seen the topic and are expressing their opinion on it.

It'll be fine.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

Plus we Internet people love to ensure people know they have a "Jump To Conclusions Mat" grade idea.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall to therau2000

MVM

to therau2000
Hehe, just click this

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to fatness

Mod

to fatness
said by fatness:

Some people only visit this forum every once in awhile, and they comment at that time on suggestions that interest them. This topic may get comments for weeks, for that reason.

Like me! I have to agree with the others -- the feature would be misused. "Hey Mods" is a feature that works great and it's best if we leave the janitorial type of work to fatness See Profile and his great crew of hard working Mods.

*object*

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

MarkAW to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
said by Hall:

said by davidg:

...it is off topic or against site rules, then they will remove it.

As already noted though, if the user has this ability, TOO MANY will simply delete posts that they don't "like".

Or delete posts from people they don't like.