Premium
join:2002-03-13
Munster, IN

[Retouch] How to properly develop a pic in lightroom

Click for full size
Canon EOS 60D
21mm 1/60th +0.3ev F3.5 ISO640

Aztec dance
Hello, last night I took some pics of a dance performance in a low lit church with my DSLR and now I'm trying to get the most insight on how to develop that picture into something better than the raw shot.

I'm posting this with some development already done to the picture, but I'm not satisfied. I believe the red is too bright, but at the same time, I don't want to loose the nice colors by trying to take too much red out of the picture. Anyway, I'm still very new to how to properly work on a digital pic and would like to have some insight and guidance on what can be done to turn this picture into a better shot with Lightroom.

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO
kudos:2

1 edit

Did a little curves and sharpening. I did it in GIMP so I am not posting the example. I think it improved the photo and will post it, if you would like. By the way the red looks fine on my monitor.

Scummer
Premium
Munster, IN

could you please post it. I would like to compare and see how it has improved.

SueS
Premium
Macon, MO

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Canon EOS 60D

Here you go

fourboxers
Co-Lead Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto, ON

3 recommendations

reply to Scummer

Click for full size
Canon EOS 60D

You didn't mark it as edit y so hope it's okay to edit the shot. I don't have lightroom so a photoshop edit, photo filter cooling filter, then colour balance -10 on the red +30 on the blue to remove most of the yellow and get the skin tones looking better. No sharpening, no brightening, I like the lighting.

telebright

@tmodns.net
reply to Scummer

Click for full size
you have gotten lots of things right, it's ok the way it is. the focus and colors and composition and stop-motion are fine.

the yellowish lighting from the incandescents goes well with the gold decorations of the costumes, while he whiter lighting from the flash makes the costume colors vivid, as they were.

your camera may have a "saturation" or contrast setting?

the attached has had the color saturation reduced a bit, and brightness increased a bit.
-
in analyzing any photo, it helps to just stare, and make a little list of anything you see "wrong".

your eye normally goes to the brightest white, and in this image that's the white highlight on the headdress, which is fine, small, appropriate, and the big bright tv, which is distracting, and takes attention away from the dancers. you could select the tv part and dim it, or i have painted it out.

the only other thing i noticed, was that the dancers are frowning and not making eye contact, so i tried, unsuccessfully, to correct that, with a little adjustment of the curves of the lips.

Scummer
Premium
Munster, IN

Thanks for the replies and hints so far. Interesting mention about the screen distracting the picture.

I've always feared the shots inside in low light with flash. And then trying to retouch the picture without even knowing where to start.

SueS
Premium
Macon, MO

said by Scummer:

Thanks for the replies and hints so far. Interesting mention about the screen distracting the picture.

I've always feared the shots inside in low light with flash. And then trying to retouch the picture without even knowing where to start.

Everyone has different tastes. I suggest you print each of the photos that have been posted, including yours, and you will then have a better idea of what works for you.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 recommendation

reply to Scummer

Canon EOS 60D

I did something completely different than many. I took the liberty of cropping and playing with a few filters. I loved the dancer and wanted to have that image first and foremost.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Scummer

No offense to anyone else, but I prefer the OP's the best. All too often I see people achieving "proper" WB, and robbing the warmth that incandescents are meant to provide.

SueS
Premium
Macon, MO

said by Jodokast96:

All too often I see people achieving "proper" WB, and robbing the warmth that incandescents are meant to provide.

I have to agree with this statement somewhat. For me it depends on the photo. Also skin tones are important for white balance, but when we try to work on photos for others we don't know how to fix according to their skin tones. I think I assumed her skin was lighter and warmer.

Scummer
Premium
Munster, IN
reply to Jodokast96

Jodokast96, leaving now the color aside, would you actually sharpen the photo or leave it the way it is?

I think Jaykaykay made a good change with blurring the background a bit therefore elevating the presence of the main character. But instead of electronically achieving this result, I need to make sure next time a narrower DOF is selected during the shot. Right glass provided of course.

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada
reply to Scummer

The original shot is great. Next time I'd try and get a bit further back if possible so you're not shooting at such a wide angle. Did you use the lens correction tool in lightroom to correct distortion? It will have built in profiles for your camera/lens combo, so all you need to do is click to enable it

SueS
Premium
Macon, MO
reply to Scummer

I think printing each of these (4x6) will answer color and sharpening questions. You can then lay them on a table and see what you like and do not like. I have also found my tastes change over time. The main thing is to make photos that please you, and if others enjoy them ok, and if not ok.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Scummer

That one I honestly can't answer for you. Sharpening in general, and even more so for print, is nowhere near a strong area for me. I do like the idea of faking the bokeh. But like you said, I try my darndest to get it when taking the shot, and not after, as area selection is another weak area for me. Honestly, I pretty much suck at most areas of post processing.

Scummer
Premium
Munster, IN

said by Jodokast96:

That one I honestly can't answer for you. Sharpening in general, and even more so for print, is nowhere near a strong area for me. I do like the idea of faking the bokeh. But like you said, I try my darndest to get it when taking the shot, and not after, as area selection is another weak area for me. Honestly, I pretty much suck at most areas of post processing.

Haha.. yeah, post processing is not my strong point either. That was the reason why I asked for pointers and experience of others.

Scummer
Premium
Munster, IN
reply to Exit

said by Exit:

Next time I'd try and get a bit further back if possible so you're not shooting at such a wide angle. Did you use the lens correction tool in lightroom to correct distortion? It will have built in profiles for your camera/lens combo, so all you need to do is click to enable it

Nice tooltip. I have to play with the distortion correction. The church was small and I had my back already against the wall.