US calls for near total in-car phone ban, even with bluetooth [MSNBC.com]

FAA approves iPads in the cockpit [zdnet.com]

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by Whatever :

US calls for near total in-car phone ban, even with bluetooth [MSNBC.com]

FAA approves iPads in the cockpit [zdnet.com]

HUGE difference. Most planes today fly themselves.

Goldman

join:2002-06-21
Maumelle, AR
reply to Whatever

The pilot's maps and charts are on the ipad now. It's more convenient to carry one ipad rather than 20 pounds of paper.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

said by Goldman:

The pilot's maps and charts are on the ipad now. It's more convenient to carry one ipad rather than 20 pounds of paper.

I don't think that was his point at all.

His point was that airlines require all electronic devices to be turned off by passengers due to they may interfere with the plane's systems. Yet an iPad in the cockpit where all the instruments are actually located, mysteriously will not cause any interference but the ones belonging to those pesky passengers will.

And I really cannot believe that dropping 33.5 pounds off a plane will save over 1.2 billion dollars a year. Seems like some creative math there.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Whatever

Guessing the FAA can trust the pilot to shut off the radios more than a passenger. I bet its impossible to detect an operating iPad outside of a shielded lab when all its radios are off. if you where to set an ipad in this room I am in all radios off I bet any detection gear would pick up the motor in my ceiling fan first.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Goldman

join:2002-06-21
Maumelle, AR
reply to ropeguru

The point IS that paper maps and charts are going away.

Maps and charts are in-flight reference materials for pilots. They aren't trying to figure out where they are going and trying to plot a course during takeoff and landing. If the pilots think the ipad might interfere with electronics in the cockpit they will turn them off during takeoff and landing just like passengers are required to do.

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

Guessing the FAA can trust the pilot to shut off the radios more than a passenger. I bet its impossible to detect an operating iPad outside of a shielded lab when all its radios are off. if you where to set an ipad in this room I am in all radios off I bet any detection gear would pick up the motor in my ceiling fan first.

ever use a portable am radio and walk around your house? i know this is a bit extreme but, i cant set my weather radio with in 5' of my 22" lcd tv because of the RFI from the light in it. i happen to have a portable "air band" radio, you cant use it in the house because of the CFL's.

now, i will grant you the RFI emitted from those examples are magnitudes higher than that of a cellphone/ipad screen, and i seriously doubt they put out enough interference to cause harm to an airplane radio especially considering how much RFI the inflight entertainment probably pumps out..

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

and how much RFI the aircraft gets until it goes over a few thousand feet from well everything on the ground including the power grid. id imagine a 500kv transmission line is an absolute RF blaster.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports