spc
Search similar:

uniqs

whatthehe
@sbcglobal.net

whatthehe

Anon

Faronics Anti Executable...

was a big mistake to buy... 34 dollars down the drain, it is giving me lots of problems in a windows 7 pc 64bit (i don't want to hear to report the problems, i just want to buy something that works out of the box). i though is was going to be like process guard diamond Cs but no way... who in here in a security forum is satisfied with the program? also, i hate the fact that every time i put the mouse over the icon it tells me that i am just evaluating it and that it will expire after 355 days....
whatthehe

whatthehe

Anon

one huge problem was that i had my external drive (2 tera bytes) connected to my PC when i installed it and i have a bunch of software there that i didn't really need to put in the whitelist... but it went ahead and put all of those .exe files in while list automatically... which took a longggg time... made me want to pull my hair when it did that and did not ask me to. i uninstalled thinking it would erase all those .exe's from the white list but it didn't.... now i have to probably re-image my whole OS to start from scratch or google where the white list file is store so i can manually delete it... frustrating/...
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20 to whatthehe

Premium Member

to whatthehe
Yep. Nothing is quite like PG. It is one reason I still use XP and an old computer. I am not looking forward to getting a new computer and finding a good, classic HIPS for Win7. There are several I have bookmarked to try (one is Anti-Executable).

You might contact mysec See Profile or planet See Profile. They both use Faronics Anti-Executable. MySec hasn't posted here in over a month. I don't think you can send IM to either unless you join. It is free to join dslr. You can wait and see if either sees this thread.

Another suggestion would be to check Wilders Security. MySec posts there about Anti-Executable.

»Re: [Update] Anyone use Faronics Anti Executable
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp to whatthehe

Premium Member

to whatthehe
said by whatthehe :

... also, i hate the fact that every time i put the mouse over the icon it tells me that i am just evaluating it and that it will expire after 355 days....

I feel your pain. I have an open ticket with them for this exact reason. I purchased and installed it for a friend, and now he thinks I ripped him off for the $35.50

Faronics admits that they can reproduce the problem, but after a month now they still haven't figured out how to fix it. How many lines of code would it take to check activation status before popping up the "Please Buy Me Now" notice ?

It is also a pain in the ass for software updates. I have to disable it and sometimes re-scan to make Google Chrome and other updates work. Had to add the entire "FireFox" folder to the white list for it to even run.

If I try to copy a batch file from one part of the computer to another, Anti-X will stop it. It will not permit any file access to any batch file or let it run unless the folder is specifically white listed. Why would they do this to batch files ? If the executables that the batch file calls are approved then let them run. If the batch file calls up an un-listed executable it won't let it run anyway.

I love the DeepFreeze product, but Anti-executable is borderline crapware. Faronics has posted here in the forum before. I hope they get a good eyeful of our posts !

whatthehe
@sbcglobal.net

whatthehe

Anon

Click for full size
quote:
Yep. Nothing is quite like PG.
when i first bought PG back in the days, i did not even read the manual... that's how easy it was for me to figure out the software... well i did read some parts like how to block DLL injection because by default it was disabled due to, i guess, peoples complains/troubles... but i found that straight and forward to understand. i got the hang of how to use it really fast. i still use the last version in my XP computers.
quote:
How many lines of code would it take to check activation status before popping up the "Please Buy Me Now" notice?
the image shows the notification bubble that i get all of the time.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by whatthehe :

when i first bought PG back in the days, i did not even read the manual... that's how easy it was for me to figure out the software... well i did read some parts like how to block DLL injection because by default it was disabled due to, i guess, peoples complains/troubles... but i found that straight and forward to understand. i got the hang of how to use it really fast. i still use the last version in my XP computers.

I agree that PG is easy to use. I still have XP computer with 3.150 full version (I can't remember what now exactly, but I did not like the later version and Wayne was actually working on a version that would fix the problem I had when I heard no more from him by IM and then there were no more posts in the forum from him and I still don't know what really happened to him after that). I agree it was not difficult to learn to use. (But I sure don't know what is currently upsetting it regarding Iron browser. According to the latest log Iron wants to terminate itself and PG blocks it. I assume Iron is trying to terminate one of the tabs but why? Iron is sitting minimized on my taskbar while I am using Fx. I had started it yesterday to check something on it and then left it minimized instead of closing it. Very strange. PG has blocked Iron from terminating itself many times in the last 24 hours).

planet
join:2001-11-05
Oz

1 recommendation

planet

Version 4 of AE I found did not play well with Win 7 64bit Home Premium. I continue using version 3.6 which runs smoothly for me. Version 3 does not include the dll protection though, only exe. Wondering if version 4 will improve as the version matures.

Perhaps you could request a build of AE version 3.6 for awhile.
faronics
join:2010-03-08
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

faronics to whatthehe

to whatthehe
@whatthehe

I am sorry for the inconvenience the license manager has caused you. Mine shows 278 days:)

The issue you are experiencing has been successfully resolved in version 4.21, which is with our QA right now.

We expect to push 4.21 GA later next week.

If you have logged this issue with our support, we will notify you proactively as soon as the new version is out. Alternatively, you can subscribe to our build feed at »feeds.feedburner.com/Far ··· stBuilds. The product interface will also let you know that there is a new version available.

As for your 2Tera whitelist, I suggest you create a new whitelist and use it going forward.

PM me if you have any further questions.

@SipSizzurp: We do.

Dmitry Shesterin
Faronics

Blackcat2
@interdsl.co.uk

Blackcat2 to Mele20

Anon

to Mele20
For a good AE try either AppGuard or NoVirusThanks. Both lightweight but not free.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I've been following the Wilders long thread on NoVirusThanks. It looks really good but they keep adding too much to it so I don't know...but I will try it when I get a new computer. AppGuard, I have looked at in the past and didn't like it because you cannot make a classic HIPS for ignorant of computers users. Their software may work great for what it does but it is not a classic HIPS. Of course, what I want I cannot have (ProcessGuard working past XP).

planet
join:2001-11-05
Oz

planet to Blackcat2

to Blackcat2
said by Blackcat2 :

For a good AE try either AppGuard or NoVirusThanks. Both lightweight but not free.

From perusing Wilders about AppGuard, it reminds me of Threatfire.
Is NoVirusThanks available for 64 bit OSs and/or can you use their 32 bit app on a 64 bit OS?

gugarci
Premium Member
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ

gugarci to whatthehe

Premium Member

to whatthehe
I've played with Appguard and it works well. Appguard also works on x64 OS.
faronics
Vancouver, BC

faronics to whatthehe

to whatthehe
@whaatthehe

It took us a bit longer to get AE 4.21 GA. The license display issue has been fixed. Please login to your Labs account at www.faronicslabs.com to pull the 4.21 version.

Here are the release notes:
»www.faronics.com/documen ··· e-notes/

On a related note, I am putting together v5 right now and if anyone wants to get involved in alpha/beta, PM me.

Dmitry

whatthehe
@sbcglobal.net

whatthehe

Anon

i installed 4.21.1112.492 and is playing a little better in my win7 64 bit... will see how smooth it goes. also, the "evaluation" pop up is gone... phew.

on a side note... in the previous version, i uninstalled the 64bit and installed the 32bit instead to try to see if things improved... but did not. i forgot i had installed the 32bit and installed the 64bit over it... it did install and asked for a restart... well, i hosed my system because every time i would boot up, i would get a BSOD. i tried to disable the faronics service in safe mode but could not. luckly, i had a HD image back up so i reimage...

would be nice if there was a warning that would not allow you to install 64bit over 32bit... and vise versa...

thanks for the update faronics.
faronics
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

faronics

@whatthehe
Interesting behavior that I was not able to reproduce. Do you mind pinging me at dmitry(at)faronics.com with some more detail on that?