rev569
join:2011-12-14
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

rev569 to TSI Gabe

to TSI Gabe

Re: IPv6 beta

I just signed up for ipv6 and got my /64 and /56

I am running debian as my gateway and added +ipv6 to my options file. However I do not seem to get an ipv6 address, I am currently using my @teksavvy.com account as that is what I was told to use by the rep. If this is as straight forward as I am led to believe how do I confirm my account was properly provisioned for ipv6? There doesn't seem to be much for me to troubleshoot. I wanted to call teksavvy but this is 'not supported' and when I got ipv6 added originally the rep was helpful but our conversation was the first time he heard of ipv6 being offered.

Any help would be appreciated.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

Pretty sure you need to use an @hsiservice.net address (or @wiredhighspeed.com). If they didn't give you one you can probably post in the Direct forum to get sorted out.
rev569
Toronto, ON

rev569

both hsiservice.net and wiredhighspeed.com auth failed

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

Likely you haven't been configured then. I'd post in the direct forum. I can't get V6 on my @teksavvy.com address (need to use @hsiservice.net) so I'd -guess- that would be the issue.

I say guess as others on this forum have indicated that they have V6 working on @teksavvy.com addresses and TSI hasn't clarified what the status of the V6 beta is.

Mersault
join:2007-10-26
Toronto, ON

Mersault

Near as I can tell, TSI have pushed IPv6 functionality to all the realms (hsiservice, teksavvy, and wiredhighspeed). The PPP negotiation doesn't assign the public IPv6 addresses to the interface though - it only assigns the link local addresses used for the actual routing. To get a public IPv6 address on your ppp interface you need to either assign it manually or issue an IPv6 router solicitation. On FreeBSD this would involve firing up the rtsol daemon/client on the ppp interface; I dunno what you'd use on Linux.
rev569
Toronto, ON

rev569

I dont even get local link atm, but according to the man page and the googles, I should expect it to work.
rev569

rev569 to Mersault

to Mersault
My problem was a provisioning problem on their side, here are some quotes from my thread that might be of interest to you all.

I'm not sure who set it up for you but @teksavvy.com logins aren't setup to use IPv6.

Please be advised that this is still in Beta testing and that we in no way provide any support for this at this time. All we do, is add it to the account and give you the information. For any assistance, please refer to the »IPv6 beta thread.

Hope that clears up some of the questions regarding ipv6 status.

amanda83
@teksavvy.com

amanda83

Anon

Whats the difference between these types of logins, hsiservice, teksavvy, and wiredhighspeed?

I signed up for ipv6, and I'm wondering why they gave me an hsiservice login id? shouldn't TSI have activated it on my teksavvy id?

Also is TSI going start charging people with hsiservice logins?

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda

Premium Member

teksavvy.com: standard accounts.
wiredhighspeed.com: MLPPP accounts.
hsiservice.net: IPv6 beta accounts.

The short story is that depending on the @domain you use in your PPPoE login, you get connected to a different router on TekSavvy's backend. The different routers are configured for different things. The @hsiservice.net routers are configured for IPv6, which is why you need to use that login if you want V6.

Apparently (though I can't confirm as I don't have one), V6 also works with the @wiredhighspeed.com MLPPP sign-ins.

It's doubtful they'll start charging for hsiservice.net logins. They'd have to actively support the V6 service first. While I've found it quite reliable and the performance good, TSI tech support won't answer questions about it and it's rare to get answers from the admin's here these days. Until that changes, I can't see them trying to charge for it.

amanda83
@bell.ca

amanda83

Anon

It sounds like they might charge for it in the future.

I wanted to ask you, I have Apple Airport Extreme, I'm happy with it, but it doesn't support ipv6 over popped. So I was wondering if I should get another router and use that as the gateway.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by amanda83 :

It sounds like they might charge for it in the future.

I wanted to ask you, I have Apple Airport Extreme, I'm happy with it, but it doesn't support ipv6 over popped. So I was wondering if I should get another router and use that as the gateway.

This is what I do. I have an Airport Extreme (actually Time Capsule) as my wireless access point, running in bridge mode (and providing disk sharing). My router is a second device, a Linksys E3000 running TomatoUSB, with all the wireless disabled (so acting just as a wired router).

This solution works great with IPv4 NAT / IPv6 / NAT-PMP, etc.

Ideally, Apple will release an update to the Airport that enables V6 over PPPoE. The support in the Airport routers for V6 is otherwise so rock solid - why they omitted such a major feature when they include so much else is a mystery.

amanada83
@teksavvy.com

amanada83

Anon

I was wondering, after setting up the Linksys E3000 as the gateway, what IPv6 mode do I put the Airport express in? Link-local or Router?

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 edit

1 recommendation

SimplePanda

Premium Member

Technically you don't have to do either, as the Airport will pass packets regardless of what's in them (IPv4 or IPv6). The key is making sure the Airport is in "bridge" mode rather than router mode. In Airport Utility, this is on the second page (Internet) and is under "Connect Using" and "Connection Sharing". You want:

Connect using: Ethernet.
Connection sharing: Off (Bridge Mode)

This will cause the Airport to pass packets directly from the E3000 on it's Ethernet port to the wireless network and vice versa.

As far as IPv6, Airport routers don't have "IPv6 off" mode. To be fair, nothing with IP should have IPv6 off mode at this point as too many people just ignore it if you can turn it off, but I digress. The closest thing to "off" is "link-local", which means, "negotiate yourself an address on the LAN that is only usable on the LAN". So... you don't want "link-local".

You want "host" mode with "configure IPv6" set to "automatically". This will cause the Airport Express to pick up a V6 address from the E3000 and use it for itself, while still allowing V6 to pass through it in bridge mode.

Hopefully Apple chooses to update the Airport line at some point to actually make them work as routers when connected to native IPV6 DSL... but for now, this is the hack we all have to use.

Hope this helps.