Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

itzmejoey

join:2011-10-20
Carmel, IN

Upgraded from Turbo to Lightning, same upload speed [Indy]

Hello all,

Yesterday afternoon I called to upgrade my RR Turbo (20Mbps/2Mbps) to Lighting (40Mbps/4Mbps). Within an hour, they had a tech out, who added a Surfboard SBG6580 to my setup (I also have an adapter for the phone, so he put a splitter in there and now I have one cable going to each one). Nothing but kudos for the speed of service. Can't beat a 1-hour turnaround.

I have always kept a very close eye on my up/down speeds and how they compare to my rate plan, and they've always been spot on. After we verified it was working and I was getting 39Mbps down, the tech left and all was good. Then I looked at my upload speeds, and it's still 1.8-2.0Mbps. I tested it several times over the course of the evening, and then again today. Same thing.

Some notes: I have the modem in bridged mode (all I had to do was plug it into my Netgear N600... very convenient). I initially had my upload bandwidth limited to 2Mbps for QoS purposes. When I realized I had it limited, I thought "ah, that's it." But the issue persisted even when I removed the limit. Also, the up and down speeds are identical whether I have it bridged to my Netgear or I connect my PC directly to the SBG6580. So I know the Netgear isn't the problem.

Called and spoke with a level 3 tech and he said all he was able to do was change the channel on my modem, and that didn't work. He said he detected some noise on my line, but he wasn't sure if that could account for the poor upload speeds, especially when I'm getting very close to 40Mbps down. So he scheduled a tech to come out tomorrow.

For some reason, I don't suspect that this tech will be able to help much, so I thought I'd ask here if any other Lightning users in the Indy area (Carmel, specifically) have had this issue. If they can't get me to 4Mbps up, I'm not sure I want to keep paying an extra $20/month. Ok, who am I kidding, of course I will. But I still want my rated upload speed.

Thanks,
Joey

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:153
Joey...

The rep on the phone did the right thing. PM me your IP address and I'll check levels and update your work order if needed. The tech will easily be able to detect line noise and get this resolved for you.

itzmejoey

Carmel, IN
reply to itzmejoey
Well, the tech that came out today said he didn't detect anything on my line that would cause the upload speed issue. He did swap out my SBG6580 and MTA for a Ubee, which is nice. He left it in NAT mode, but I changed it to Bridged mode... not sure if there's much of a difference.

Using speedtest.net, I'm getting just above 2Mbps now. Using the TimeWarner speed test site he gave me, I'm getting about 3.5Mbps up. So I guess all in all it does seem to be performing better.

Thanks again for the help!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:153
reply to itzmejoey
Joey... in your market the upstream limit is 4mbps so if you are in the high 3.5+ range then all is well when you consider overhead etc. I'm gonna PM you and work behind the scenes on some testing just to be sure if that's okay with you

itzmejoey

Carmel, IN
Not a problem... thanks again!