All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Henderson50
join:2005-01-16
Chicago, IL

Henderson50

Options that don't require a phone line?

I'm not sure I'm posting in the right forum, but I currently have Earthlink DSL 6mb and I'm happy with it. Yes, their tech support is absolutely horrid (I can't say enough about how horrid), but if you can troubleshoot on your own, it's been pretty reliable and trouble-free for the most part, and the price is good.

But I'd like any options for internet service in the Chicago area that doesn't require a landline. I don't ever use the phone landline with 2 cell phones in the house, it's only there because the DSL requires it, and I'd really love to get rid of it.

Any suggestions that will stay about the same price as Earthlink? I'll add also I hate Comcast, and their prices seem really high for the same speed compared to what I pay to Earthlink for the same speed. High enough that eliminating the phone line means the savings there will just all go to Comcast. If that's the only choice in this area, I'd rather stay with reliable Earthlink.

Thanks for any suggestions.

DFC
join:2011-11-08
Staten Island, NY

DFC

Go to the link below and see what Earthlink high speed options are available in your area:

»www.earthlink.net/access ··· ex.faces
Henderson50
Chicago, IL

Henderson50

I called them and the only options are wireless 3G at 1.5mb for $60/mo, or wireless 4G at 15mb for $80/mo. I'm not willing to pay $80/mo, and paying $20 more for slower speed doesn't make sense either. I was hoping there might be other options I haven't considered maybe even outside of Earthlink and Comcast.

Mark910
Premium Member
join:2002-04-21
Dayton, OH

Mark910 to Henderson50

Premium Member

to Henderson50
If you like the DSL then you might check and see if "naked" DSL is available. That is DSL without a landline.
Also , you should check on the availability of cable. If you are close to Chicago you should have a cable carrier that can supply internet service.

DFC
join:2011-11-08
Staten Island, NY

DFC to Henderson50

to Henderson50
See if FiOS is avaiable:

»www22.verizon.com/Reside ··· nternet/
Henderson50
Chicago, IL

Henderson50

Thanks for those suggestions. I'll call both AT&T and Verizon tomorrow to see if either is available in my area. I'm not fond of AT&T since I heard they now have a cap on your monthly usage, but I'll check my past usage and see if it would actually be an issue for me, it might not be depending on what the cap is.
Henderson50

2 edits

Henderson50

AT&T Uverse had a special promotion for 12.0 mbs speed for $24.95/mo for the first year. I don't like they charge $100 for the modem and $36 to activate, and there's a 250GB cap per month. But I'll be saving $48 a month over what I'm paying now for the first year, and still saving $25/mo after that, so it'll be worth it as long as I watch my usage.

Thanks for the suggestions, I placed the order for it today.

Edit: Actually the cap doesn't seem to be any issue in my case. I was mistakenly pulling my info from my networked computers and not from the internet, so 250GB will be plenty. And btw, Verizon FIOS isn't available in my area, that might have been my first choice.