The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

Surprise class action lawsuit payment.

Absolutely amazing, a class action lawsuit that actually paid someone besides the lawyers.

I got a check for $105 today from a class action against Vonage for their (former ?) practices of not honoring their 30 day money back guarantee, not cancelling service promptly, etc. Several years ago, I tried one of their USB adapters in my notebook, but I could not use it because of conflicts with my security settings. Vonage refused to take back the device, refused to honor their published 30 day money back guarantee, and refused to credit me for the unusable month of service I had paid in advance. FWIW, I cancelled within 24 hours of receiving the USB adapter.

The total amount involved was $105, and that was my settlement payment. I don't know how much of the total settlement actually went to the lawyers, but I got paid in full.

EDIT: I was mistaken about the amount I was owed by Vonage for the failed V-Phone experiment (the DSLR review nagbot caused me to look at my Vonage reviews, and I was reminded of the actual cost). The total for the adapter and the month of service was actually $110, but I am still amazed that any lawyer would work for such a small fee.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

Of course they're going to pay you.

Your "Da Man" around here on Vonage issues!!

They knew better than to mess with you!

Congrats

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

...I don't know how much of the total settlement actually went to the lawyers, but I got paid in full.

...I am still amazed that any lawyer would work for such a small fee.

That's not the way it works, often. The settlement, in this case, most likely included additional monies paid by Vonage to the class action attorneys, reflecting their charges ... over and above the amount returned to the consumers. So don't fret. I'm sure that the lawyers made out quite nicely.

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich to NetFixer

to NetFixer
Crap I only got 10 dollars from this dang crappy lawsuit.
ZeekWatson
join:2002-02-05

1 edit

ZeekWatson to NetFixer

to NetFixer
Wish I'd known about this ... Vonage never refunded me my original fee (~$100), in fact every time I called they wanted to add more charges to my credit card.

Vonage is a company run by shysters.

Here is my review of Vonage from back in the day: »Review of Vonage by ZeekWatson

Original Review to avoid clicking the link:

I signed up for the Vonage VOIP service last November. When I signed up they continually touted their "60 day money back guarantee". How could I lose? Unfortunately they were never able to transfer my number or provide me with a working phone. I attempted to port my number to Vonage 4 times.

I canceled the non-functional service and requested my money back as per the 60 day money back guarantee. Vonage now points me at their terms of service (which I never agreed to when signing up) that says they don't provide a refund for pre-paid service. They think they don't have to provide a refund!

I've quoted the relevant section:

3.10 No Refunds for Pre-Paid Service Plan Customers. Subject to the Money Back Guarantee and applicable law, we will not refund any Service Fees or any other amounts paid in connection with any pre-paid Service plans.

»vonage.ca/features_terms ··· vice.php

Despite the many cancellation calls and emails they continue to say my account is active and try to charge me monthly fees. I successfully put in a dispute with visa on the Vonage unauthorized charges. I'm back with Telus. The future is friendly!
dorosz
join:2003-06-28
Cumming, GA

1 edit

dorosz

said by ZeekWatson:

Wish I'd known about this ... Vonage never refunded me my original fee (~$100), in fact every time I called they wanted to add more charges to my credit card.

Vonage is a company run by shysters.

Here is my review of Vonage from back in the day: »Review of Vonage by ZeekWatson

Original Review to avoid clicking the link:

I signed up for the Vonage VOIP service last November. When I signed up they continually touted their "60 day money back guarantee". How could I lose? Unfortunately they were never able to transfer my number or provide me with a working phone. I attempted to port my number to Vonage 4 times.

I canceled the non-functional service and requested my money back as per the 60 day money back guarantee. Vonage now points me at their terms of service (which I never agreed to when signing up) that says they don't provide a refund for pre-paid service. They think they don't have to provide a refund!

I've quoted the relevant section:

3.10 No Refunds for Pre-Paid Service Plan Customers. Subject to the Money Back Guarantee and applicable law, we will not refund any Service Fees or any other amounts paid in connection with any pre-paid Service plans.

»vonage.ca/features_terms ··· vice.php

Despite the many cancellation calls and emails they continue to say my account is active and try to charge me monthly fees. I successfully put in a dispute with visa on the Vonage unauthorized charges. I'm back with Telus. The future is friendly!

I've been with Vonage for almost 9 years now, my parents have been with them for 7, and because we've had an opposite (ie good) experience with them you think our experiences are fake and we're naive or paid by them?!?!?!?!?! Get real - everyone is entitled to their own point of view
ZeekWatson
join:2002-02-05

1 edit

ZeekWatson

said by dorosz:

everyone is entitled to their own point of view

Vonage lost the class action lawsuit because they are shysters. That is official, straight from a court of law. It isn't a point of view.
dorosz
Cumming, GA

dorosz

Can you please provide a reference for the information you're quoting - would love to read it
Thanks

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by dorosz:

Can you please provide a reference for the information you're quoting - would love to read it
Thanks

I take it that you are unable to use Google or Yahoo! on your computer?

Perhaps you could just start in this forum (no Google or Yahoo! required):
»Vonage class-action lawsuit

When you are done with that thread, you may want to read this thread from the top (I suspect that you started reading in the middle).

After that just use your favorite search engine to search for Vonage Class Action. You will find that this latest lawsuit and settlement is just one of many over the years. The simple facts are that while the Vonage service is actually quite good, Vonage as a company is untrustworthy and unreliable.

If none of that convinces you, then perhaps P.T. Barnum was right.
dorosz
Cumming, GA

dorosz

Actually I read those documents - I was hoping you could provide the backup to your claim the court made the statement the company was a shyster, would be a very deflamitory comment for a court (or anyone else) to make without backup.....everyone is entitled to their view - but reckless statements can be damaging

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 edits

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by dorosz:

Actually I read those documents - I was hoping you could provide the backup to your claim the court made the statement the company was a shyster, would be a very deflamitory comment for a court (or anyone else) to make without backup.....everyone is entitled to their view - but reckless statements can be damaging

Speaking of reckless statements, can you backup your statement that I made such a claim? Perhaps a visit to your friendly neighborhood ophthalmologist might be in order? Or perhaps I should see my attorney regarding a libel suit?

My definition of shyster is a crooked or unscrupulous lawyer, and I would never have made such a careless language error. However, if Vonage actually employs any shysters, they certainly do not earn their pay, considering how many lawsuits Vonage has either lost, or settled out of court, and those results say all that needs to be said regarding Vonage's business practices. The presentation of facts is neither libelous or inflammatory (although I suspect that you meant to use the word "defamatory" instead of "deflamitory").