spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tanmoy

@santafe.edu

[Modem] P-660HN-51 modem on earthlink?

Hi, I am trying to use a Zyxel P-660HN-51 modem for my earthlink/mindspring service. It seems to get DSL, but even when I put it in bridge mode, I can't get a response to pppoe request. Can someone share some net.wisdom on what to try next?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

Let the zyxel do the pppoe and post the contents of the zyxel's log

tanmoy

@qwest.net
reply to tanmoy

It keeps on doing PADI and PADT:

1 2011 Jan 1 00:12:37 PPPoE notice Send PADI
2 2011 Jan 1 00:11:50 PPPoE notice Send PADT
3 2011 Jan 1 00:11:27 PPPoE notice Send PADI
4 2011 Jan 1 00:09:27 PPPoE notice Send PADT
5 2011 Jan 1 00:09:04 PPPoE notice Send PADI

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to tanmoy

Just about any ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ Modem will work with Earthlink once properly configured.

Is your Earthlink DSL new and if yes, are you sure that it has been fully provisioned meaning the account is setup and ready to go according to Earthlink in their Radius servers?

Make sure that the Encapsulation is set to use LLC instead of VC-Mux and verify that your VPI/VCI is 0/35 instead of 0/32 that Qwest uses (if that doesn't work try both).

HTH
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

tanmoy

@qwest.net

No, the account is not new. I have a Zyxel P-660R-ELNK and that works with the 0/35 setting. This modem has slightly different entries---here are the settings I am trying:
PTM over ADSL: disabled
Mode: Routing
Encapsulation: PPPoE (I also tried PPPoA briefly)
VPI: 0
VCI: 35
DSL Link Type: EoA
Encapsulation Mode: LLC/SNAP-BRIDGING
Service Category: UBR without PCR
PPP User Name: xxxxx
PPP Password: yyyyyy
PPP Auto Connect: checked (tried unchecked)
Idle Timeout: 5 (tried the maximum when previous unchecked)
PPPoE Service Name: EarthLink (tried blank as well)
PPPoE Passthrough: unchecked
Obtain IP Address Automatically: checked
NAT Enable: checked
IGMP Proxy Enable: checked
Apply as Default Gateway: checked
DNS: Dynamic
Rate Limit: blank

The problem is that this is not working. Status page shows
Wan Type: ADSL over ATM
Encapsulation: PPPoE
DSL Up RX:1523/TX:866
and then shows that it is disconnected.

Log shows a PADI packet followed by a PADT packet about 23 seconds later, followed by a PADI about 2 minutes later and so on.

The Zyxel P 660R ELNK setting that works is very similar: Routing, PPPoE, username, password, blank servicename, LLC multiplexing, 0/35, Nailed up connection, automatic IP address.

So, what I am looking for is some setting that I forgot to change. There is another page on Broadband setting, which is currently set to PhyR US: Disable, PhyR DS: Enable, but I have no idea what these are: it says that if I change these DSL capabilities, the CPE will require a retrain.

Incidentally, on diagnostic all four OAM Pings (F4/5 segment/end-end) fail with VPI/VCI: 0/35 on the new modem.

Please help ...

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by tanmoy :

The problem is that this is not working. Status page shows
Wan Type: ADSL over ATM
Encapsulation: PPPoE
DSL Up RX:1523/TX:866
and then shows that it is disconnected.

Does the other modem act the same way? Both show connected then moments later disconnected for the DSL Sync or just the P-660HN-51? Is the DSL LED going out?

Try a full reset of the P-660HN-51 modem and add only the basic minimum setup info for a PPPoE connection (Username/Password, VPI/VCI, LLC-Snap, (Leave Host Name, Domain Name, and also leave DSL Service Name blank as EL does not use that feature)

Did the P-660HN-51 come from a working connection or did you just get it and not know 100% if it is fully functional or not?
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

tanmoy

@qwest.net

Sorry wrong way of writing it: on the P-660HN-51 DSL stays connected, and Internet stays disconnected. DSL light stays steady, internet light never comes up (i.e. when I wrote 'then shows that it is disconnected', I did not mean DSL is disconnected, I meant that 'then when I look for internet, it says it is disconnected'. As I said, log shows PADI and PADT, no PADO!

The other modem stays connected and gets internet.

Thanks for your suggestion: tried it, does not help. I had to change many things from factory default, because factory default is IPoE 0/33.

This is a new modem, so I do not know for sure that it works. But it seems very much like a config problem, and I do not know enough to debug.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to tanmoy

I think the modem has problems......
The pppoe exchange goes like this
pppoe client sends a padi
pppoe client receives a pado
pppoe client sends a padr
pppoe client receives a pads

Your modem seems to not wait for a response to it's padi instead it sends a padt
The pppoe session can be terminated by the modem or the pppoe server by sending a padt

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to tanmoy

Setup for Earthlink DSL (any DSL really) is pretty simple in most cases only requiring the bare minimum of a correct VPI/VCI (you tried both 0/35 and 0/32, correct?), then the correct Username/Password combo (when Using PPP (oE or oA) and the correct Encapsulation (LLC-Snap or VC-Mux).

I'm thinking the Modem may be defective as you do have one that works properly yet this new unit just seems to be non-functional even after a reset and being configured multiple times.
--

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to tanmoy

Does the Modem have the latest Firmware installed?

Check this to see if it may help.

»ftp://ftp.us.zyxel.com/P-660HN-51/firmware/

P-660HN-51_1.10(BYK.0)C0.rar
--

tanmoy

@qwest.net

Problem solved. (To Doctor Olds: I do have 1.10(BYK.1))

But the answer is curious: my telephone company sent a technician and he pointed out that my line is provisioned on T1.413 and PPPoA, i.e. not ADSL G.dmt and PPPoE! The previous modem (Zyxel P660R-ELNK) said it connected on G.dmt and PPPoE, but this new modem (Zyxel P660HN-51) needed me to telnet in and switch off the G.dmt mode (adsl configure
--mod lt2pemM3M5, followed by adsl profile --save; not documented anywhere as far as I can see: but a little guessing got me to it) so that it fell back to T1.413 and then it connected fine on PPPoA after that (on VPI/VCI 0/35 and LLC/SNAP-BRIDGING).

All this is very confusing to me: why do the two modems need different settings? I would be very happy if someone can explain, but I hope this will help the next poor soul avoid a lot of trouble.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

The t1.413, g.dmt settings should have also have a automatic setting that will allow the modem to use the proper setting

In addition the dslam can be configured to accept
only pppoe or only pppoa or both
The dslam can be configured to accept
only t1.413, only g.dmt, only adsl2, only adsl2+ or the dslam can be configured to accept any one of the protocols

Have you confirmed that the P660R-ELNK can only use g.dmt/pppoe

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

said by wayjac:

The t1.413, g.dmt settings should have also have a automatic setting that will allow the modem to use the proper setting

Have you confirmed that the P660R-ELNK can only use g.dmt/pppoe

The Earthlink ZyXELs are Multi-Mode having PPPoA, PPPoE and Bridge MODE (RFC1483) with either LLC-SNAP or VC-Mux encapsulation choices and both ANSI T1-413 or G.DMT protocols are supported.
--

tanmoy

@qwest.net
reply to wayjac

No I have not tried whether P660R-ELNK works on other settings: I just noted down the settings it reported (g.dmt/pppoe) and set the new modem to those settings. I was surprised it did not work.

Changing it to T1.413/pppoa (at the advice of the telephone company technician, who knew what to do, but not how to do it on this particular modem: he knows only about centurylink modems) did work. Once it worked, I did not try anything else. (The modem does claim to get dsl sync with g.dmt as well: and that is why it chooses g.dmt by default unless g.dmt is disabled, but can't see the pppoe server in that configuration for some reason)

Since it works in the current setting, I am not likely to go back to the ELNK modem now, either (this one has router and wireless in one package, the ELNK needed an external router). I wonder whether the reason it was losing dsl sync so often was because I was trying to talk to a t1.413 with a g.dmt (isn't that something which gets framing errors every so often?) I will add to this thread if and when I get to testing this more.

In any case, thanks you guys for all your suggestions.