Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to saratoga66

Re: [TiVo] Comcast Tivo Service

they are offering a refurbed premier dvr for free with a 2 year contract.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:5
reply to saratoga66
You mean I can't get a discount on the monthly service fee from TiVo?

saratoga66

join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA
kudos:1
I don't know. Tivo announced that they are going to be offering the service for $5/mo less for new contracts. I have no idea if they will let customers currently in contracts get the reduced rates if they ask. I was questions why you said you should get the discount because you are a Comcast customer. Being a Comcast customer has nothing to do with the rate reduction. It applies to all customers.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
I'm not currently in a contract with TiVo since my 1 year subscription ended and I didn't renew.

TiVo

@cox.net
reply to brawney
The San Francisco Bay Area will receive a minor update this week so that Comcast Xfinity On Demand can be turned on this month.

»twitter.com/#!/tivodesign/status ··· 98324481

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
why am I not suprised that SF gets the update.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:17

1 edit
reply to TiVo
I think there have been some new updates on that Twitter feed:

TiVo Premiere updates coming with new Netflix and YouTube apps; Bay Area gets Comcast VOD
Engadget - April 4, 2012
»www.engadget.com/2012/04/04/tivo ··· be-apps/

"Waiting for your TiVo to see the upgraded Netflix and YouTube streaming apps we got a peek at during CES a few months ago?

How about the ability to access Comcast's video on-demand that we've been waiting for since last year?

According to tweets by Vice President of user experience Margret Schmidt we may see all that and more soon, as she mentioned "expecting" the Spring Update with new video streaming apps and parental controls in HD menus to roll out to Premiere and Elite DVRs this month.

As far as Comcast Xfinity On Demand, the rollout is targeted to begin in the San Francisco Bay Area, with an update for DVRs there this week before the feature is turned on later this month.

This [is] shaping up to be a very interesting year for the smiley faced DVR company with new hardware still waiting in the wings, add in all these new software capabilities and TiVo looks like a winner in more than just the legal battles."

Edit: Corrected URL to be for the non-mobile version.

TiVo

@cox.net
said by telcodad:

I think there have been some new updates on that Twitter feed:

As of right now no additional Twitter Updates
»twitter.com/#!/tivodesign

But TiVo did post today a Priority Update page:
»www.tivo.com/mytivo/software-pri ··· request/

sbiller1

join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL

XFINITY On Demand from Comcast now available

For the first time ever XFINITY On Demand from Comcast now available to San Francisco Bay Area TiVo and Comcast Customers!

»blog.tivo.com/2012/04/xfinity-on ··· remiere/

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
An article about this on the Multichannel News site this morning:

Comcast Opens VOD Gate To TiVo DVRs In San Francisco
MSO Activates Feature After Scrapping Project to Offer TiVo-based Service to Subscribers
Multichannel News - April 10, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/article/482 ··· isco.php

The intro:

"Almost a year after Comcast terminated its set-top software development agreement with TiVo, the MSO has started to let subscribers use retail TiVo DVRs to access video-on-demand under a revised deal between the companies.

Beginning April 9, Comcast's Xfinity TV customers in the San Francisco Bay Area will be able to access VOD through the TiVo Premiere box. Over the next few weeks, existing TiVo Premiere and Comcast customers in the area will automatically receive an update to their DVRs to get the feature, according to a blog post (»blog.tivo.com/2012/04/xfinity-on ··· remiere/) on TiVo's corporate site.

Other Comcast markets are expected to activate the feature over the course of 2012, but the companies have not announced which markets will be next. TiVo has a similar deal with Cox Communications to enable VOD access from TiVo Premiere DVRs."

saratoga66

join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA
kudos:1
reply to brawney

It is active on my Tivo now.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to telcodad

Re: XFINITY On Demand from Comcast now available

»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV- ··· /1249673

from a comcast rep over at their help and services forum...

"We will be launching this in phases in the entire Bay Area to existing TiVo customers with a TiVo series 4 Premier DVR (Premier, Premier XL and Premier Elite).

Phase one areas that have this available now are listed below:

Cupertino, Los Altos, Los Gatos, Milipitas, Monterey, Mountain View, Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara, Saratoga and Sunnyvale.

Updates will be provided as launches are approved for additional areas. Stay tuned!"

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
An article (with links to photos and user reports) on this on the Zatz Not Funny! site today:

TiVo Xfinity On Demand Arrives (in San Francisco)
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - April 11, 2012
»www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-04/tiv ··· ancisco/

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

FYI - There is a page on the CNET News site that lists all their posts/articles on the TiVo Premiere series of DVRs:

CNET / News / All TiVo Premiere posts
»news.cnet.com/posts/?keyword=TiV ··· Premiere

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

An article about the TiVo Spring Update on the Zatz Not Funny! site on Saturday:

TiVo Spring Update Arrives, Fall Update Teased
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - May 12, 2012
»www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-05/tiv ··· -teased/

sbiller1

join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL
reply to brawney
Comcast launching in Boston on Monday (5/28).

»www.gizmolovers.com/2012/05/24/b ··· -monday/

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
Yay! At one city a month, we might get it here in the ATL by end of next year!

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to brawney
$14.99 a month with a 1 year contract for Tivo is crazy expensive!? I know the Comcast DVR isn't the best but hell for $14.99 and being forced into a 1 year deal is too much. Some people don't like the Comcast DVR but I happen to love it. I just wish the GUI was more "today" and less "1995"!

Channel labels in the guide are impossible to discern. I mean local channels are with their channel station id, eg: WPQW might be your local Fox affiliate but you couldn't tell by the guide. Also navigating OnDemand is like navigating the South Pacific with star charts! But functionally everything is there in my location such as myDVR for online DVR programming, OnDemand is still awesome minus the aggravating navigation, and I like how they recently added TV shows season and episode listings.

5th
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

Rob
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL
kudos:2
It's more than just a DVR. The premiere has dual tuners, with netflix, amazon, hulu, etc. Plus their iphone/ipad app is great.