zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

Bypassing credit card requirement for Nook

My nephew wants to get a B&N Nook for his kid, but it appears that a credit card is required for the thing to work and even to access public domain DRM-free materials.

He's not too hot on having his CCINFO stored in an online account, and he doesn't want to have his minor child to have a device with credit card access.

How can he get around this problem and still have a Nook?
--
Follow your dreams, except the one where you're naked in church.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 recommendation

This is weird and is not right, of course. But you may try this way to protect your account - get a temporary generated CC# and use it with the Nook. Some banks (Citi as one example) offer virtual CC# that are valid for specified (by you) time and / or amount of money.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

I learned an interesting lesson regarding B&N ebooks "purchases".

Many moons ago I "bought" an ebook from them using my debit/visa check card. Recently, I went to read said book but couldn't get access to it. Went to the website and still couldn't access it properly. Turned out that the debit card had since expired and I had to update it with my current one IN ORDER TO READ A BOOK I HAD ALREADY PURCHASED.

Needless to say, I won't be purchasing any more ebooks from B&N.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer

Would it let you use one of those prepaid credit cards?
Maybe someone here has an old with a few pennies still left on it they can send you the number to use.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Verizon Broadban..

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer

Easy! Go to walgreens. Pick up a $20 prepaid visa/mastercard and put that on the account. No credit check or anything. Works fine on my android market account. If somebody steals it, they can't charge what's not on it!
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

I had to update it with my current one IN ORDER TO READ A BOOK I HAD ALREADY PURCHASED.

Wow! That's even worse than just "not right"... I'd stay far away from them.

Thank you for sharing the story.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer

I've learned with the android market if you take your credit/debit card off your Google checkout/wallet , you lose the ability to download purchased apps until you add a card.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to EGeezer

Thanks all, for the suggestions!

@ OZO See Profile, that sounds like an idea to try - I he may have a card that has that feature, will investigate.

@ r81984 See Profile, that might work, but he's in a job where doing such things might cost him his job.

@ darcilicious See Profile - That just happened to a friend of mine who just bought a Nook. He had an old online account but the card had long expired and he couldn't even register the Nook until he used a current card.

@ djdanska See Profile, a $20 prepaid card sounds good. Are there any fees or charges that would drain the card's balance?

A related question - if I cancel the credit card in the account, I know I can't access the books in the BN cloud. But can I still view side-loaded non-DRM books and access the internet in general, or is the device bricked or blocked from connecting to WAP and/or internet?
--

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Verizon Broadban..

1 recommendation

Yes, not using it after so long and maybe a per transaction fee. If you don't actually plan on using the gift/prepaid card, just buy the tablet and add the card and once its up and running, just get gas or something with the balance on the card. (They usually pre-authorize a doller) If you ever need to add money on it, you can do that at places like walgreens, etc. or just get a new card. I wouldn't keep it unused, just don't delete it off the account. If you cancel the card but not tell B&N, B&N won't know until you try to actually buy something and the card declines. Just don't buy anything and you should be good until the prepaid card expires (and they go a LONG time usually. Last card i got expired in sept of 2017), maybe see if they have purchase filters or something. My android lets me put a pin in so if i want to buy something, i need my pin. Check out if they have a feature like that.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

FastEddie
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-13
join:2000-12-29
Channel Z
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer

said by EGeezer:

My nephew wants to get a B&N Nook for his kid, but it appears that a credit card is required for the thing to work and even to access public domain DRM-free materials.

You don't specify which model of Nook. If he gets a Nook Color you can always run Android on it using a MicroSD card. I did this (and am very happy with the setup) and there is an app for reading books and just about everything else. The only thing you need besides the MicroSD card is a GMail account. No credit card needed.

»[Mods] Turn Nook Color To Android Tablet

--
Here's To You

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

Yes, the model under consideration is the Nook Color. That topic is indeed fascinating! I have a similar setup on a SD card that boots my Canon A610 camera to be able to shoot images in RAW format.

Based on your Micro SD installation topic, it looks like it doesn't actually modify the Nook itself except to look for a boot file at the SD card slot. If it fails to find that, the Nook boots normally.

I can boot to Android just by inserting the card, and revert to the Nook's native O/S by removing it.

Are these assumptions correct? If so, I believe we will have a dual boot Color Nook - "the best of all possible worlds" (honors to the late great Harry Abraham)
--

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT

1 recommendation

May I also suggest they spend the extra $50 and get the Nook Tablet? The $50 is well work it when it comes to performance. Apps are much more fluid than they are on the Color due to the dual core. Also with a few simple clicks you can have it run both the stock firmware as well as Android. This way I run the Nook store, the Android store, and the Amazon store on it.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

Thanks for the suggestion on the Tablet. Now, I'm interested in one of these for myself.

Did you use Eddie's mod to boot to Android, or did you use another mod or built-in feature?

You all rock! I hope I can contribute to future Gadget topics in repayment...
--

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT

2 recommendations

I followed these directions, was painless and very easy.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b3JKbgc···a_player

When I press the n button I have the option to launch to Go Launch (Android) or Home (Nook Stock). You can easily flip back and forth.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

FastEddie
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-13
join:2000-12-29
Channel Z
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer

said by EGeezer:

Based on your Micro SD installation topic, it looks like it doesn't actually modify the Nook itself except to look for a boot file at the SD card slot. If it fails to find that, the Nook boots normally.

I can boot to Android just by inserting the card, and revert to the Nook's native O/S by removing it.

Are these assumptions correct? If so, I believe we will have a dual boot Color Nook - "the best of all possible worlds" (honors to the late great Harry Abraham)

Yepper

Load the MicroSD card with the CM7 (Android OS) insert it into the Nook Color and you have a tablet. If you want to use it as just a Nook Color just take the card out. And you don't void the warranty.

What ptrowski See Profile said. The Nook Tablet has a faster processor and more memory. The $50.00 will be well spent. And I'll be jealous.

said by EGeezer:

You all rock! I hope I can contribute to future Gadget topics in repayment...

Once you get the Android OS on it you can help or be helped at this place »Android

--
Here's To You