uniqs
share rss forum feed

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2

Toilet flapper gets caught on float ball

We have a toilet tank similar to this, and I'll use the terminology in the diagram. There's a float ball and arm with a chain between the trip lever and flapper. Once every few times we flush, the flapper gets caught on the float ball and doesn't close, letting water run into the bowl until we open the tank and nudge it. I've tried screwing the float ball up and down the arm and even bending the metal arm in different directions, but it usually results in the water going over the fill line and continuously flowing down the overflow tube. I haven't been able to find the right balance.

Has anyone run into this problem and solved it? The other two toilets in the house look identical but somehow have enough clearance between the float and flapper. I'd take a photo, but there's a loaded over-the-toilet storage cabinet in the way.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

I think you need to try bending the arm again. After you get it so it clears the valve, then adjust the fill level using the adjustment screw which should be on top of the fill valve close to where the metal arm attaches.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 edit
reply to ctggzg

The chain is too long maybe.

It came with a clip to shorten it up.

It's not there anymore.

If you can't find it use a part of a paper clip.

Put a new flapper in.