Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune to mgr

Premium Member

to mgr

Re: I can't understand my latencey

Your stats look perfect, so the issue may be elsewhere.

Go to »myaccount.cableone.net/ , log in, and perform a speed test from there. Let us know your local and remote speed test results.

mgr
@opera-mini.net

mgr

Anon

thanks.

I did do a speed test there. And both tests yeiled near perfect results the remote was a tad lower but not by much. Usually 5.55/0.45 & 5.35/0.25

So Iam not sure where the problem is.
mgr

mgr to Pashune

Anon

to Pashune

Problem solved I think(for now..)

Well I thought about this some more. So when I was at work today I grabbed a new Cat5e patch cord out of the bin. Brought it home, plugged it in to the modem, and voila.

All speed tests where on par too. Everything is snappy again. I have seen bad cables before. Looks like that this was the case again. I appreciate all your help. Thanks.

Regards

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

That latency and jitter is still very high for both tests imho.

mgr
@96.19.214.x

mgr

Anon

said by Pashune:

That latency and jitter is still very high for both tests imho.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Well considering where it was at before, It's tolerable. Now this morning I rebooted my modem, ran a ping test:

Now that was on par. So far so good. Thanks
Vermilion
join:2011-12-18
Columbus, MS

1 edit

Vermilion

I'm in NE MS and have had totally rubbish speeds for around 3 months. I stupidly bought into the 50mb plan without reading about it first and upgraded my old 2.0 modem to a new 3.0 modem. I'll let the speed and ping tests speak for themselves.

I can download and watch YouTube videos faster with my Verizon 3G cellphone than I can with my "50mb" cable internet. Online games are unplayable even at 2-3am. I've called their solutions center probably 30 times over the last 3 months and they finally admitted they had a problem on their end and was getting their engineers on it. Asking about some kind of timeline he couldn't say.

Sometimes the speedtests show me getting 30+ mb's but the pingtest is still HORRIBLE and games still unplayable.

Remember this is with my "fast and reliable" 50mb/2mb plan.

Here is to Hammond, LA.

areoh
join:2001-11-10
Kansas City, MO

areoh

Vermilion, what do you get on the CableOne speed tests? I'm just wondering about the local latency.
Vermilion
Columbus, MS

Vermilion

The bad thing is it sits around 1mb then jumps to 10 then to 20 then back down and then snaps to 40 and its just all over the place. Having done speed tests in the past when its working correctly it should snap straight to the speed not trickle slowly or jump around like a heartbeat monitor.

My cable modem's SNR is 34-35dB. I'm not sure of what other specs I should post about.

Also when I do a trace route to anyplace the 2nd hop is of course to my ISP which is usually around 300ms which I think is very crappy.

mgr
@96.19.214.x

mgr

Anon

Are you hooked up to a router and or switch? Or is your PC straight connected to your modem? I changed out my patch cable and it solved the problem for me(so far). With those speeds, C1 should get a Tech out to your site.
Vermilion
Columbus, MS

Vermilion

I've got an Apple Airport Extreme router which I've ruled out as much as I can. I just replaced my patch cable and nothing has changed so far. I've tested my speed hooked directly into the modem and it's the same garbage.
Vermilion

Vermilion

Hmm, it was working somewhat good the past 2 days but, wow tonight it is horrible. Guess I'll call em again sigh.
Vermilion

1 edit

Vermilion

Had to call tech support again just a bit ago. Finally got a tech on the phone who cared enough to actually help and investigate. He pinged my modem with and without the ethernet cord hooked up and even tried to ping other modems near me. He said sometimes he would get a 150ms ping back and others would be over 1000ms. He got a senior tech to look at my problem and they diagnosed that my entire area where I live has some serious serious problems and that they'd rush this to the engineers to get it fixed.

The tech guy told me he HOPED I would see a VAST improvement within 24 hours and if I did not to call them back or my local office.

I guess calling every other day for 3 months will finally pay off if everything returns to how it should be.

Here's the speed test I just did. (12:10, 12/28/2011) The lowest I've ever seen it.