spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lmacmil

join:2001-01-26
South Bend, IN

Security of 3G connection vs. unsecured router connection?

Just wondering if a 3G connection to the internet (using a USB modem via the Sprint network) is inherently any more or less secure than a wifi connection via an unsecured router?

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
The way I look at it is how much you trust the headend of the connection, ie. toward your ISP,
and that no one's running a packet sniffer or similar without your knowledge / consent.

Just my 00000010bits.

Regards

Jasu

join:2010-01-09
Finland
reply to lmacmil
The radio link between user equipment and base station is encrypted. Although there are security weaknesses in the encryption, I think there haven't been any WEP-like breakthroughs in decrypting 3G encryptions.

In that sense using 3G is more secure than unsecured WLAN. Your neighbors are not able to read the traffic but as the traffic flows to public networks, the security of connection does not depend on 3G/WLAN encryption...

dslcreature
Premium
join:2010-07-10
Seattle, WA

2 recommendations

reply to lmacmil
said by lmacmil:

Just wondering if a 3G connection to the internet (using a USB modem via the Sprint network) is inherently any more or less secure than a wifi connection via an unsecured router?

Does it matter? The Internet is inherently insecure, untrustworthy and unreliable. If you have something important to say encrypt accordingly.