Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to TitusTroy

Premium Member

to TitusTroy

Re: [HD] FCC Rules on Verizon Access to MSG HD

said by TitusTroy:

one thing that never made sense to me regarding Cablevision's fight to keep the HD feeds of MSG off of FiOS and U-Verse is this...Cablevision is worried about losing subscribers to FiOS over MSG HD and that is a legit concern but won't the number of subscribers who leave be offset by the millions of new and existing FiOS customers who now have to pay a small fee (a few cents a month?) to Verizon who in turn pays an even bigger fee to Cablevision?

so in the end won't Cablevision be making more money by allowing competiters access to these channels?

I actually understand why the Dolan's fought this for so long as it is a competitive advantage...judging by this thread alone you can see how many people are passionate about MSG HD...but in the end it's all about $$ and fighting this for years only cost the Dolan's millions in legal fees and potential subsciber fees...makes no real sense

How can it be offset? Say Cablevision gets $.60 a month for each Verizon subscriber at 3 million subscribers. That would be $1,800,000 a month. Now say they lose 100,000 subs to VZ for this new deal, people who were paying $110 a month to CV, that's $11,000,000 lost per month against $1,800,000 new money received.
matcarl

matcarl

Premium Member

To add to my last post, it's probably not even 3,000,000 subs VZ has to pay because these channels are only in a few VHO's.
skohly
join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

skohly to matcarl

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

said by TitusTroy:

one thing that never made sense to me regarding Cablevision's fight to keep the HD feeds of MSG off of FiOS and U-Verse is this...Cablevision is worried about losing subscribers to FiOS over MSG HD and that is a legit concern but won't the number of subscribers who leave be offset by the millions of new and existing FiOS customers who now have to pay a small fee (a few cents a month?) to Verizon who in turn pays an even bigger fee to Cablevision?

so in the end won't Cablevision be making more money by allowing competiters access to these channels?

I actually understand why the Dolan's fought this for so long as it is a competitive advantage...judging by this thread alone you can see how many people are passionate about MSG HD...but in the end it's all about $$ and fighting this for years only cost the Dolan's millions in legal fees and potential subsciber fees...makes no real sense

How can it be offset? Say Cablevision gets $.60 a month for each Verizon subscriber at 3 million subscribers. That would be $1,800,000 a month. Now say they lose 100,000 subs to VZ for this new deal, people who were paying $110 a month to CV, that's $11,000,000 lost per month against $1,800,000 new money received.

I think that $.60 a month for each VZ subscribe is way off. I think it's more like $4.00 per for both MSG and MSGplus. That's according to NY post article about the issues between TW and MSG. 6o cents is way low ball number

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Wow Skohly, You think it's up there with ESPN? I just threw the $.60 as an example, but $4?
robjlevin
join:2002-10-30
Medford, NJ

robjlevin

Here's the Post article:

»www.nypost.com/p/news/bu ··· zr5bKbUP

But no way this going to cost CVC 100k subs.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Thanks Rob. So taking that into account and the fact you said it won't be anywhere near 100,000 subs, then it might end up a wash with the money involved, but CV would still lose on PPV and On Demand from subs and just by going down in numbers with subs wouldn't look good, they don't want that even if the money ends up being the same.
robjlevin
join:2002-10-30
Medford, NJ

robjlevin

In the end it might cost them some subs, but don't forget, VZ isn't exactly winning any popularity contests with their billing issues and missed appointments. People do switch from FiOS to competitors.

As I said earlier, inertia rules. How many people do you think buy these services for anything other than price? The percentage is miniscule.

I had a Comcast guy knock on my door a couple of weeks ago trying to sign me up. When I explained that I had FiOS phone and internet and DirecTV for TV he asked what I was paying. Told him price wasn't the issue. I wanted what I wanted and that included fast uploads and lots of HD hockey. Comcast offers neither.

He respected what I had to say but told me that I was in a very small group that didn't care about cost and that dollars was the first question he gets from almost everyone.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

You are correct, most people switch just to save a buck. Everyone on this board is in the minority.

JCapra
@verizon.net

JCapra to robjlevin

Anon

to robjlevin
In the case against TWC, Verizon having MSGHD probably helps CV as subscribers with a choice between TWC and FIOS now have an alternative for MSG HD. So while I'm sure CV didn't love losing the fight against verizon, i think it helps their negotiations with TWC.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

anyone know what QAM these channel were put on?