dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
EOrion84
join:2011-12-16

EOrion84

ARRIS TM722 vs Motorola Surfboard SB5101 ?

Hello, all.

I have Comcast internet/TV/Phone.
I live in Fall River Massachusetts.

I hope I am posting this correctly - I've never seen a forum set up the way dslreports.com is.

Either way, I just adjusted my tv/internet/phone package with comcast and received a speed boost. They installed a new modem, so that I could have faster speeds, and a phone line.

Now, I don't care about the phone; I use my cell phone only. I would like to know if my Motorola Surfboard SB5101 (which I own), would be able to reach the speeds that the new ARRIS TM722 (supplied by comcast) can.

If so, I plan to return the ARRIS so that I don't have to pay rental fees.

Right now I'm getting about 35mb down and 5mb up. I have read that the Surfboard SB5101 can only reach speeds of 30mb. Still, I could safe $60 a year by using my Surfboard and taking a 5mb cut. That isn't a big deal.

What do you all think?

Thanks.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

Re: ARRIS TM722 vs Motorola Surfboard SB5101

Visit 192.168.100.1 in your web browser. If under upstream or downstream you see more than one channel listed it means your area is using DOCSIS 3 channel bonding. You will overall have a much better experiance with the internet service if you take advantage of the channel bonding. You will have faster powerboost speeds, the connection will be more stable and less prone to slowing down. It is also possible if you are having issues for Comcast to blame it on your owned modem and charge you a service fee.
EOrion84
join:2011-12-16

EOrion84

My surfboard is DOCSIS 2, I believe, and this new modem is DOCSIS 3, which leads me to believe (and from your comments) that it is a more powerful modem.

So, would any DOCSIS 3 modem be capable of replacing this one? I don't want to pay the monthly rental fee, especially if they are charging me more to have the extra phone capability (I believe there are two modems in the Assis - one for phone and one for intent).
yurkinator
join:2007-07-30
Newark, DE

1 recommendation

yurkinator to EOrion84

to EOrion84

Re: ARRIS TM722 vs Motorola Surfboard SB5101 ?

Comcast is probably not going to let you return the 722 because it is required for phone service. You should be able to use the 5201 for internet if you want though.
damianfleece
join:2011-04-17

1 recommendation

damianfleece to EOrion84

to EOrion84
the motorola 5100 series is a docsis 2.0 and will not handle the speeds on your account now. you would not lose 5meg of speed you would lose around 15meg.

the 722 is the docsis 3.0 and can handle speeds up to 105megs.

you need to have the 722 for full service.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

1 recommendation

neufuse to EOrion84

to EOrion84
some locations you can purchase the Arris TM722, that is the only way to get rid of the rental fee if you have phone service also, if you have internet and no phone then just buying any old modem would do that
damianfleece
join:2011-04-17

1 recommendation

damianfleece

just an addendum to my statement, you dont necessarily need the 722 if you didnt have phone service. BUT you do need a docsis 3.o modem for your speeds.

i think you can go to best buy and talk to a comcast rep there and they can give you information and show you emta's for purchase. that may help you get rid of that rental fee.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

said by damianfleece:

i think you can go to best buy and talk to a comcast rep there and they can give you information and show you emta's for purchase. that may help you get rid of that rental fee.

FWIW, not all BestBuy stores in all areas have Comcast Connection Centers/kiosks/reps. Some markets don't allow customer owned eMTA's
bgoodbody
Bill G
join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
Netgear WNR3500L

2 recommendations

bgoodbody to EOrion84

to EOrion84
If you have Digital Voice, you MUST have an eMTA like the Arris 722. Comcast will charge you 7.00 per month for it.

No need for your own modem as the 722 has an ethernet port at ! Gigabit per second.

Not owning your own modem is a good idea in my opinion due to the coming of IPV6.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

IowaCowboy to EOrion84

Premium Member

to EOrion84
If you use the home phone, you can save your cell phone minutes and not worry about overages. I have unlimited minutes on my cell phone (Verizon iPhone) but my mother has AT&T and she shares 1400 minutes (which she goes through pretty quickly) between her and grandma so they divert some of their cell usage to the home phone because cellular oveages are EXPENSIVE!!!

You can buy an EMTA at certain Best Buy locations. You say that you live in Fall River, MA and the Best Buy at the Holyoke Mall in Holyoke MA sells the Arris TM 722G. I've seen them at the Hampshire Mall in Hadley MA but they dont have a Comcast kiosk in Hadley but they do have one in Holyoke.