join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9

Re: RIM Jobs

said by openbox9:

said by NY Tel:

This is a classic case of "founderitis".
You can't have 2 people with the same title with the same level of power in any organization, there has to be a tie breaker when it comes to decisions.

I don't understand why RIM investors and the board continue to support "co-CEOs". As you point out, you can't lead a company (or anything) with two heads. I regret not holding my RIMM short longer from this summer.

Because the 'big' investor (and others), Jaguar, wants to basically break the company up and sell the patents. This would be good money for the investors (actually, it would be worth billions) but RIM would be gone, along with thousands of employee's.

RIM has several problems.
1. Perception. RIM is doing bad in the US, but not elsewhere..however, that doesn't matter.
2. Slow at delivering new products.
3. Slow at delivering new OS. (BB 10.0 (PB 2.0))
4. Two CEO's who believe they are too smart.

What RIM needs to do is find a new CEO, put Mike in charge of technology and development, and put Jim in charge of sales. They also need to find a marketeer.

I do know of some products that are up and coming, and it's never too late to get back into the game, but obviously they can't wait forever. One of their new products will compete directly with Android/iPhone. What they will need to work on is making everything seamless like the iPhone but have pricing closer to Android and overall quality and security that is better than Android and more secure than both. (security is BB's strong suit).

RIM also needs an attitude change with who they hire and how they hire. Going on education alone isn't cutting it, obviously, as you can see, with the two exec's that disrupted that flight. (was surprised to learn that they both were on work permits from Scotland, one living in this tiny village just north of here and the other from Kitchener) They spend billions on R&D but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon.

As for Mike and Jim, I have no idea how they manage to co-manage. Someone needs to give them a wake-up call, and I have no idea how that is going to happen, especially when sales continues to climb outside USA.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

said by J E F F4:

Because the 'big' investor (and others), Jaguar, wants to basically break the company up and sell the patents. This would be good money for the investors (actually, it would be worth billions) but RIM would be gone, along with thousands of employee's.

And this is likely what will eventually happen. Unfortunately, the longer the board waits, the less value that will be realized.
« RIM liquidation near?
This is a sub-selection from Rim Jobs