uniqs

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Wire connectors

I would like to find the name of this connector if possible. The only thing I know about is that round in shape and it starts with a p I believe.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

What kind of car.... what connector... etc etc...

Probably a GM Weatherpack style connector. There used to be a place on the Internet where you could order those things...

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
Connectors:
Pigtail?
Butt?
Spade?
Are you talking about the kind to join 2 pieces of wire together?

Butt connectors

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Thanks I finally found it the site. They are called posi-lock

»posi-lock.com/

TypeNameHere
@spcsdns.net

TypeNameHere

Anon

Eww.
Those things suck, seriously.
They are as bad as "scotch-lok" connectors if not worse.

Remember folks, screw type wire nuts belong in homes. Crimp style connectors belong in vehicles.
'nair the twain shall mix.

ridebud
Challenge Accepted
join:2003-12-06
usa

ridebud

said by TypeNameHere :

Eww.
Remember folks, screw type wire nuts belong in homes. Crimp style connectors belong in vehicles.

I'm calling shenanigans on this one.

Crimp on lugs are used in many electrical applications, not just automotive. The same applies to wire nuts.

The only real difference is that wire nuts have the ability to be reused (if they have not been compromised), where crimp on lugs are single use only.

The scotch-lok connectors are IDC style connectors, which are only recommended for solid wire applications with very low current usage.

g

TypeNameHere
@spcsdns.net

TypeNameHere

Anon

said by ridebud:

said by TypeNameHere :

Eww.

I'm calling shenanigans on this one.

Crimp on lugs are used in many electrical applications, not just automotive. The same applies to wire nuts.

The only real difference is that wire nuts have the ability to be reused (if they have not been compromised), where crimp on lugs are single use only.

The scotch-lok connectors are IDC style connectors, which are only recommended for solid wire applications with very low current usage.

g

shenanigansplural of she·nan·i·gans (Noun)Noun: 1.Secret or dishonest activity or maneuvering.
2.Silly or high-spirited behavior; mischief.

A fitting word to use ?
I think not.

Name one vehicle EVER MADE by an oem that has a wire nut style screw together connector.
You cannot, as there never has been a single connection made by ANY oem EVER that has one.

About 15 years ago there was a marketing flurry by the distributors of those "posi-lock" connectors. All
the major parts chains had them in stock.....now none do.
That should be a screaming heads up if you pay attention to that sort of thing.

Ask any tech when the last time he used one was....most won't even know what they are.

Go to any auto electrical shop and ask them to install something (stereo, gps, alarm, etc) and exclusively use those connectors.
(warning, wear asbestos undies)
18172841 (banned)
join:2001-10-06
Lagrangeville, NY

18172841 (banned) to ridebud

to ridebud
Your house is not driving down the road vibrating... rofl.

Never use that crap on a car. Solder and heat shrink wrap or crimp and still do the other two things.
fixrman
From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA
·Verizon FiOS

fixrman to ridebud

Premium Member

to ridebud
Having been in the automotive business for over 27 years, I have never seen a wire nut used in an automobile application. I have also never seen a Scotchlok™ used by an OE manufacturer. No technician who knows proper wire installation or repair methods would ever use either connector; butt splices are not even technically correct, as a solder joint would be preferable except in cases where this is impossible. There are special connectors available with specially designed crimping tools to ensure a proper mechanical, weather-proof, failproof connection.

Vamp
5c077
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
MD

Vamp to TypeNameHere

Premium Member

to TypeNameHere
said by TypeNameHere :

Eww.
Those things suck, seriously.
They are as bad as "scotch-lok" connectors if not worse.

Those connectors work great, if you use them properly you can pull the wire with like 100lb of force without them pulling out.

That said I would use solder/heatshrink for permanent splices in a car... I used those posi-locks on my custom center console lighting so that I can easily remove the center console without cutting anything, never had a problem with the connection even with repeated reuse.
dipweed23
join:2009-07-21
Ypsilanti, MI

dipweed23 to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
Solder, seriously?
When hand making pigtails or other connections in the weather pack connectors, all OEMs use something like this:
»www.drillspot.com/produc ··· tool?s=1

Almost every OEM uses weather pack or similar connectors for any thing that is outside the cabin. Some will have the additional rubber piece to protect the wire entry point, most will not and you will be able to look at that end and see the crimp connector.

When hand crimping wire harnesses for Freightliner, Volvo, Detroit Diesel, Fleetguard, and even the US Military, we used these pliers to crimp the terminal on for the weather packs. The only difference on the mil-spec ones was that that there was an additional rubber piece that went in the connectors. We had the ability to solder them, but nobody in their right mind would bother.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

I last worked as an electronic assembler in the late 80's (was making wire harnesses for big trucks) but I thought that for the best and most consistent crimps, one should use a ratcheting crimp tool like this:
»www.all-spec.com/product ··· odRlNtnA

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
You guys are all fighting over nothing. Just twist the two wires together and wrapped them in electrical tape. Bing, bang, done.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

You mean duct tape?

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by aurgathor: