Search similar:

uniqs

waldoooo
join:2001-12-15
Fountain Valley, CA

waldoooo

garage roof

Click for full size
i helped a friend replace the roof on his garage its 20'x22' pretty basic design. anyway his landlord paid for the materials and is willing to deduct fair labor from his rent, i havent done this in years and have no idea what a reasonable labor rate would be.
any input would be appreciated... trying to attach a picture

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat

MVM

Any time I've helped a friend do something like this, a case of beer and a nice steak was the usual and customary fee.

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium Member
join:2011-06-11

OZZY7 to waldoooo

Premium Member

to waldoooo
A couple hundred? Certainly, I'd pay someone $200 to do this for me.

Edit: Wait, you're in California. $1,200 then.

waldoooo
join:2001-12-15
Fountain Valley, CA

waldoooo

alcohol and dinner is all the compensation I needed from a buddy.

his landlord offered to pay the labor, well knock it off his rent. i was thinking 1000-1200 range wouldn't be too much. Want to know if that sounds reasonable.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

2 edits

The Pig to waldoooo

Premium Member

to waldoooo
$100 apiece if you ripped off the old roof!
$50 if you only nailed it on!

Did you guys put down 30lb. felt paper under the roof then reverse the first course of shingles and does the shingles overhang the roof by at least 1/2" all the way around?
Seeing as you guys are in lower Ca. I take it you don't get snow so no ice shield would be needed!
I ask about the felt and starter course because I can't what you did from the picture!

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium Member
join:2011-06-11

OZZY7

Premium Member

$50? Guess how much work you'll get out of me for a lousy $50. That's right, not even a good days work.

Besides, it's Cali and that changes everything. And, we're talking a trade for rent, not cash.

So, I'd say maybe $500 seriously. I was joking about a Grand, but again, it's Cali. So maybe more is reasonable.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member

The Pig

Premium Member

Shingling is not a real trade, any idiot can do it, Hot tar roofing is a trade that needs to be learned!

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

7 recommendations

mattmag

said by The Pig:

Shingling is not a real trade, any idiot can do it, Hot tar roofing is a trade that needs to be learned!

It is sometimes better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt...

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to The Pig

Mod

to The Pig
said by The Pig:

...Did you guys ... reverse the first course of shingles...

If they did then they did it wrong!

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to waldoooo

MVM

to waldoooo
How many rows do the tab spaces line up?
$50 a row for correct alignment, collect $50.
... OK... $100

Mannus
Premium Member
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN

Mannus to waldoooo

Premium Member

to waldoooo
$3.00 per square foot seems a reasonable labor rate since he is paying for materials.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Are you serious? That would be $300 per square. Around here I can get a roof installed for $200 or less INCLUDING 30 year dimensional shingles by a professional licensed and insured roofer. No offense to the OP, but there is nothing that looks professionally done in the pic posted.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

100 to 200 per person per day net.

3x that for benefits, taxes and overhead.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member

The Pig to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

said by The Pig:

Ok I'll put in words you can understand!
"Did you guys put down the first course of shingles upside down?"
Happy now?
The Pig

The Pig to mattmag

Premium Member

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

said by The Pig:

It is sometimes better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt...

And who is it that you think can't put a nail in a shingle?
I know YOU can't swing a hot mop to lay down tar-paper in, you most likely wouldn't even know how to get the mop out of the carrier without splashing your lower legs and feet!
The Pig

The Pig to waldoooo

Premium Member

to waldoooo
PS: When i was a Union roofer I made $122 a day and was expected to lay down 10 squares a day!
A garage roof is what 4 sqaures if it's say 20'x20' where are you guys coming up with these numbers?
1 person should have done the roof for $100 labor! Materials are a different matter!

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to The Pig

Mod

to The Pig
said by The Pig:

said by robbin:

said by The Pig:

Ok I'll put in words you can understand!
"Did you guys put down the first course of shingles upside down?"
Happy now?

That is still wrong.

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken to The Pig

MVM

to The Pig
said by The Pig:

PS: When i was a Union roofer I made $122 a day and was expected to lay down 10 squares a day!

A union roofer for $15 an hour? What decade are we talking about? Plus as has been pointed out, California has much higher labor prices than anywhere else.
said by The Pig:

A garage roof is what 4 sqaures if it's say 20'x20' where are you guys coming up with these numbers?

4 square would be accurate if the garage had a flat roof and no overhang. That roof is more like 5-6 square.
said by The Pig:

reverse the first course of shingles

Only total hacks install the first course upside down. The correct way is to cut off the tabs on 3 tabs, or buy actual starter course. But not install normal ones upside down.

To the OP, I think $50 a square would be the minimum I would ask for.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to waldoooo

Premium Member

to waldoooo
Just out of curosity, what is a fair/typical price for installing new good grade, 30 year shingles with out removing the under layer if a roofer were to do it? Labor and materials included.

I understand the price can be all over the place, but typically what is a ballpark cost?

rbnice1
join:2000-12-16
Imperial, MO

rbnice1 to waldoooo

to waldoooo
Just had my shed done and its a bit smaller then your garage(12'x16'). It was $850 that included the new shingles. Thats in missouri tho so almost double that for cali. The cost on the new shingles was about $500. So I would say you should prob get a deduction on rent at about $750-$1000 dollars.

That or call in and get a estimate from a few places then go from there.
Parneli
join:2004-12-28
Naperville, IL

Parneli to Ken

to Ken
said by Ken:

said by The Pig:

A union roofer for $15 an hour? What decade are we talking about? Plus as has been pointed out, California has much higher labor prices than anywhere else.

Agreed- I've got fast food places here that are 12/hr

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

workablob to mattmag

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

said by The Pig:

+1

I see a lot of improperly nailed roofs in my area.

When we hired a reputable firm to do ours they commented on the neighbors roof and all the shingles falling off.

Bad nailing.

Any idiot can do it but don't expect it to last.

Dave
seederjed
Premium Member
join:2005-02-28
Norcross, GA

seederjed to Ken

Premium Member

to Ken
40 - 50 seems reasonable to me also.
Maybe its me, as I haven't installed a 3 tab in awhile, but isn't the set back for each shingle supposed to be 5 5/8"?
If it was set back like that, the courses wouldn't line up like that would they?
I see them install 3 tab like the picture all the time on tv and always thought it looked off.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to waldoooo

Premium Member

to waldoooo
When you say "replace the roof" just what does that mean? Your phrasing is ambiguous.

Does it mean:
a) add a new layer of shingles on top of the existing ones?
b) tear off all the old shingles and install new underlayment & new shingles?
c) all of b) plus tearing off underlying rotted plywood and installing new plywood?
d) all of c) plus installing new roof trusses/framing?

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member

The Pig to waldoooo

Premium Member

to waldoooo

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

1 edit

robbin

Mod

So you are saying that every shingle manufacturer gives installation instructions which cause their shingles to fail prematurely and you know how to do it better than they do? I would also be interested in why every other row of shingles would not have the same failure you are proposing as every row of shingles on the roof are sealed at the lower edge unless you do not install the starter course properly in which case the first row is the only row with the tabs not sealed at the lower edge.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member

The Pig

Premium Member

said by robbin:

So you are saying that every shingle manufacturer gives installation instructions which cause their shingles to fail prematurely and you know how to do it better than they do? I would also be interested in why every other row of shingles would not have the same failure you are proposing as every row of shingles on the roof are sealed at the lower edge unless you do not install the starter course properly in which case the first row is the only row with the tabs not sealed at the lower edge.

Put an ice burm on the edge of your roof where is the water going to go?
Yep! under the shingles with no way out!
They sell shingles why would they want them to last 30 years?
Why would the first course of exposed shingles tabs be stuck down when no other exposed tabs on the roof are?

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Every other row of tabs is stuck down. There is a sealing strip along the nail line.

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken to The Pig

MVM

to The Pig
Have you ever even installed shingles on anything before?

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI

hdman to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

That is still wrong.

Robbin, you are very correct, this is still wrong. He needs to put down new felt, then an ICE/Water Dam, then a starter strip, THEN start shingling...

Just did my house, outbuildings, and my cabin this past summer. As an old 3 tab user, I was REALLY happy to use architectual shingles because there NO vertical lines to keep straight. That was awesome. Just keep the horizontal rows in line, and man it came out great!

HDMan