Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NetFixer

Re: [Modem] Problem with westell 6100

Summary of Noteworthy Events –
Major Abnormalities

We received unexpected and possibly dangerous results when looking up important names.

DNS lookups of popular domains (?): Warning

One popular name has a significant anomaly. The ownership suggested by the reverse name lookup does not match our understanding of the original name. This could be caused by an error somewhere in the domain information, deliberate blocking or redirection of a site using DNS, or it could be that your ISP's DNS Server is acting as a DNS "Man-in-the-Middle".

We attempted to download HTTP content from the IP addresses that your ISP's DNS server returned to you for these names. Where the download succeeded, you can click on the IP address in the table below to download a compressed file containing an HTTP session transcript.

Note! The session content is potentially harmful to your computer when viewed in a browser, so use caution when examining it.
Name IP Address Reverse Name/SOA
www.microsoft.com 207.46.19.254 rms-tk5-ext.0[...]office365.com

LOL.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by graysonf:

Summary of Noteworthy Events –
Major Abnormalities

We received unexpected and possibly dangerous results when looking up important names.

DNS lookups of popular domains (?): Warning

One popular name has a significant anomaly. The ownership suggested by the reverse name lookup does not match our understanding of the original name. This could be caused by an error somewhere in the domain information, deliberate blocking or redirection of a site using DNS, or it could be that your ISP's DNS Server is acting as a DNS "Man-in-the-Middle".

We attempted to download HTTP content from the IP addresses that your ISP's DNS server returned to you for these names. Where the download succeeded, you can click on the IP address in the table below to download a compressed file containing an HTTP session transcript.

Note! The session content is potentially harmful to your computer when viewed in a browser, so use caution when examining it.
Name IP Address Reverse Name/SOA
www.microsoft.com 207.46.19.254 rms-tk5-ext.0[...]office365.com

LOL.

Yeah, the folks at ICSI do sometimes have a "Danger, Will Robinson" streak in their diagnostic reports.

Of course, that is actually a Microsoft IP address which suggests some sort of dynamic load balancing by Microsoft (and/or Akamai) in the DNS reply (and probably nobody bothered to change the rDNS/PTR records when the IP address was changed).

NetRange:       207.46.0.0 - 207.46.255.255
CIDR:           207.46.0.0/16
OriginAS:       
NetName:        MICROSOFT-GLOBAL-NET
NetHandle:      NET-207-46-0-0-1
Parent:         NET-207-0-0-0-0
NetType:        Direct Assignment
RegDate:        1997-03-31
Updated:        2004-12-09
Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-207-46-0-0-1
OrgName:        Microsoft Corp
OrgId:          MSFT
Address:        One Microsoft Way
City:           Redmond
StateProv:      WA
PostalCode:     98052
RegDate:        1998-07-10
Updated:        2011-04-26
Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/MSFT

They will post similar dire warnings if you use DNS to redirect such domain names as googleadservices.com or googlesyndication.com to a more benign (null) location. But overall, their actual network analysis test is a good network connectivity diagnostic tool.

--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
Other than that, about the worst thing they said about my connection was low bandwidth and high latency. Of course, that is actually an AT&T feature set

My HE IPv6 gateway is in Miami so it performs reasonably well considering. But no complaints, a static routed /64 and another /48 if I want it for free!

And yes, if you run dual stack without an IP on the six side, performance of your four side will absolutely suck.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to NetFixer
I'd put my money on it being MicroSlop's daily screwing up of their network. You know what I'm talking about... when EVERY request results in a redirect to a bing search. Even bing searches.