Everyone
AKA Everybody
Premium Member
join:2009-04-10
Mos Eisley

Everyone

Premium Member

Fios Freedom Essentials vs Fios Digital Voice

Could anyone please explain what the difference is between Freedom Essentials and Fios Digital Voice?

At first I thought it was that Freedom Essentials was still copper telephone with Fios TV and Internet, but I checked the ONT, and the only copper is the connection going out from the ONT to the internal building to give the phones dial tone. There is no copper coming in. The fiber is what is supplying the phone connection.

So then what exactly is Freedom Essentials, since the phone connection is still coming from Fios, why is it not also considered Fios Digital Voice?

Is it that freedom essentials, even though fiber is the medium, is still terminating at a copper CO? Whereas Fios Digital Voice is staying entirely on the Fios network?

Or is it that Freedom Essentials means Fios phone but without the PBX-like services that Fios Digital Voice offers?

Because Fios Digital Voice is apparently not available in my area, but the Phone Freedom Essentials is. A Verizon rep was explaining to me how Freedom Essentials meant copper phone with Fios TV and Internet. I told them how I looked at the ONT myself and there is definitely not any copper bringing the phone line in, and that if I disconnect the fiber cable to the ONT I lose the phone dial tone along with internet and TV, they didn't want to believe me.

So I can only deduce that Fios Digital Voice is PBX services that may or may not be offered at every CO.

Does anyone know the precise difference?

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

I'm sure someone will explain to you the technical differences but basically Freedom Essentials is just regular telephone service thru fiber with minimum features included. Digital Voice has many features like the cable companies offer all for the same price, no add-ons. You have to dial the area code though with Digital Voice even if it is the same area code you are in. I know some areas have to do that anyway even with Freedom Essentials, but with Digital Voice everyone has to dial the area code. With digital voice you can also access voice mails from the TV.

siersema
join:2005-06-16
Mansfield, TX

siersema to Everyone

to Everyone
Freedom Essentials is the Fios equivalent of the traditional copper land line telephone service and is tariffs like a land line. It also has the restrictions associated with that service.
The Fios Digital Voice is a VOIP service that does not tariff like a land line and does not provide 911 associated service.
The ONT does the digital to analog conversion for both so standard analog telephone handsets work.
Now I don't have a complete bill before and after (this month is partial both) but the total taxes reduced $6.26 with Digital Voice.

Everyone
AKA Everybody
Premium Member
Mos Eisley

Everyone

Premium Member

well dang, $6.26 less per month is a pretty big incentive to demand Digital Voice over Freedom Essentials. Not to mention the extra features Digital Voice has.

I was just PMed this thread, which seems to be an ongoing issue: »forums.verizon.com/t5/Ho ··· p/308023

And there's something strange with the Fios ordering on Verizon website for my address and neighbors too. After you enter your address to check, on the next page it shows Fios Digital Voice as one of the services available, but it doesn't let you order it, only freedom essentials.

I spoke with the Verizon Chat, and this is what they said: »dl.dropbox.com/u/2005490 ··· oice.png (ps. my name isn't Davinder Singh, it's the name I use for customer service chats, no offense to anyone...)
zeejay
join:2011-12-14

zeejay to Everyone

to Everyone
right! $6.26 less per month is a pretty big incentive. I agree! I agree!

Everyone
AKA Everybody
Premium Member
Mos Eisley

Everyone

Premium Member

lol, I knew i was going to get sarcasm for using "pretty big" for $6.26. Regardless, it's an extra $6.26 being donated to a ruthless conglomerate each month.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to Everyone

Premium Member

to Everyone
While the 6.50 subscriber line charge is gone on FDV, they have a BS fee of 3.50 on FDV so the savings is like 3.00 but its much better featured service.

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar to Everyone

to Everyone
the bs fee is in reference to unlisted service fee. Freedom essentials use to be included, FDV, need to pay 3.50 for it. Yes it is BS

Gary A
join:2008-03-02
Odessa, FL

Gary A to Everyone

to Everyone
said by Everyone:

well dang, $6.26 less per month is a pretty big incentive to demand Digital Voice over Freedom Essentials. Not to mention the extra features Digital Voice has.

That was exactly my motivation for upgrading to FDV 2 years ago. It works fine with no drop in voice quality.

The only possible drawback is that it is unregulated as far as the states are concerned. So if you have a problem with FDV and want to complain to your state's public service or public utilities commission, you can't.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to Onedollar

Premium Member

to Onedollar
said by Onedollar:

the bs fee is in reference to unlisted service fee. Freedom essentials use to be included, FDV, need to pay 3.50 for it. Yes it is BS

Ah, never looked into it as it was still less ... I'll have to think if its worth messing with my account for 3.50 ...
Light Guy
join:2006-05-12
Somerville, NJ

Light Guy to siersema

to siersema
said by siersema:

The Fios Digital Voice is a VOIP service that does not tariff like a land line and does not provide 911 associated service.

I believe that 911 service does work. Although I don`t believe that collect calls will. As stated, there are many features that are only available from Verizon through FDV.

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood to siersema

Premium Member

to siersema
said by siersema:

as for 911 I didn't think that was case but it looks like it does. Take a look here

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

said by Onedollar:

Ah, never looked into it as it was still less ... I'll have to think if its worth messing with my account for 3.50 ...

AFAIK, there was always an extra fee for an unlisted number. I was paying $3.80/month when I had Freedom Essentials and now $3.50 with Digital Voice. Aside from the 30-cent savings, the only other difference I can see is that the $3.50 fee is part of my FiOS bundle whereas before it was a separate, additional monthly charge. It could vary state to state.

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar

mustve been 09 freedom essentials. You know they move this stuff around like a checkers game in order to hide from the customer.

rtfm
join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC

rtfm to Everyone

to Everyone
said by Everyone:

Could anyone please explain what the difference is between Freedom Essentials and Fios Digital Voice?
Does anyone know the precise difference?

Regulation.

POTS is regulated by your state's PSC & the FCC. Verizontal has to meet standards, follow rules, answer complaints. When they force you from real POTS {on copper} to faux-POTS on glass; they still gotta do those things.

Meanwhile sometime/sorta/iffen VOIP such as Vonage shows up and guarantees to take your money, and maybe.....If the maybe is good enough, people jump ship and Ernestine gets upset.

Verizontal Telephone can not offer you VOIP, but Verizontal Storm Door & Airline Co, a different corp that just happens to be owned by...[Let's not always see the same hands, class...]... why THEY can offer you VOIP, and do.

What I can't explain is how VSD&AC can use the ONT's internal adapter, with backup power, to supply your service when no one else can.

Bonus question: who else had an airline & door company?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

[OT]Regulation vs. Not

said by rtfm:

said by Everyone:

Regulation.

POTS is regulated by your state's PSC & the FCC. Verizontal has to meet standards, follow rules, answer complaints. When they force you from real POTS {on copper} to faux-POTS on glass; they still gotta do those things.

If the OP was looking for the major differences between the two services, those were answered previously.

Your keyword -- regulation -- is also a primary factor. Good answer, at first, anyway.

Then you introduce terms that some would consider nonsense, or at best tangential. So, I gotta ask, if only to satisfy my curiosity. By calling Verizon Verizontal, are you referring to its combination of horizontal and vertical integration? You've used that term before without explanation. And does your comment "airline company" refer to its ties with United providing Airfone service? And honestly, the "storm door" comment is so oblique even google can't find it. If you intended to make a point, it fell short.

However, if you were referring to the fact that Verizon (regulated) is partnered with Verizon Online (unregulated) to provide services, and the integration of policies, marketing, billing and customer support under one umbrella has fallen short, then consider this a little help with the closed captioning.

rtfm
join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC

1 edit

rtfm

First of all, I'm embarrassed to say after all these years; I got the name wrong -- it's Grace. Listen & you'll grasp it refers to companies only tangentially committed to what they do.

Verizontal is just my name for YKW. I could say "See & Pee" as that was how they were known for years....

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· lL5hzgz8
fanofmets21
join:2005-12-30
Seaford, NY

fanofmets21 to Everyone

to Everyone

Re: Fios Freedom Essentials vs Fios Digital Voice

My parents have Verizon Freedom Essentials for several years and today I saw a similar TV package offer with showtime free. But apparently need to switch to Fios Digital Voice to get that offer.

Would the equipment change in the house or the change would be transparent? They would have to dial the 10 digit number even for local calls (don't like that).

Also the agreement said something about the digital voice would come in a different bill date.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by fanofmets21:

Would the equipment change in the house or the change would be transparent?

Change is transparent except for the 10 digit dialing.