Six Gun Kid
Premium Member
join:2001-07-02
Huntsville, AL

1 edit

Six Gun Kid

Premium Member

Knology HD....How does it compare?

Moving from Directv to knology, I lost about 75% of my HD channels and I have noticed that the HD Channels that are availble, the picture quality seems sub-par to Directv's also even though my TV says the broadcast is in 1080i or 720p (I have not noticed if Knology broadcast anything in 1080p) I can tell a difference.

Anyone else notice the difference?

BiGdUsTy
join:2005-10-20
Panama City Beach, FL

BiGdUsTy

Knology has no 1080p anything and I doubt they will for a long time if ever. As for the video quality you'll find that every cable company compress's the hell out of there HD. Directv does the same but there smarter about it by using mpeg4 instead of mpeg2 like cable. Comcast is the worst offender when it comes to compressing but they are toying around with mpeg4 so that may change someday.

As for the channel line-up Knology has updated some of there division's with more HD channels like usa-hd & syfy. Then the other division's like here in panama city where they just refuse to update the line-up even with Comcast kicking there ass in HD.

Knology has a lot of work to do in vod, ppv and HD and I hope they make up ground in 2012.

Six Gun Kid
Premium Member
Huntsville, AL

Six Gun Kid

Premium Member

Compression....Ok I guess that would account for the lack of resolution. Oh well, I am stuck with Knology for at least 12 months, then I will see what my options are....

Thanks for the info.

tidal
Tidal
Premium Member
join:2001-01-18
Madison, AL

tidal to Six Gun Kid

Premium Member

to Six Gun Kid
I have knology's hd as part of the promo and unless it sports or the major networks, it sucks picture wise. My parents have DTV and I'm blown away every time I watch their HD. There are times where I feel like I can touch the characters on DTV.

Six Gun Kid
Premium Member
Huntsville, AL

Six Gun Kid

Premium Member

I'm going to stick it out for the 12 month promo then it's back to DTV. Unless the picture quality changes dramatically within that time.