rit56

join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

1 recommendation

One for the home team

Victory!!!!!

en103

join:2011-05-02

Unfortunately... its too early to call 'Victory' for anyone, unless you're a current T-Mobile customer, or Sprint executive.

Winners ??
T-Mobile customers (currently)
Sprint

Losers: AT&T obviously
T-Mobile itself and customers. T-Mobile will still be sold off or picked apart.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2

Verizon is a winner as well. They will remain the largest wireless provider in the US.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
reply to rit56

Yes!!!!!

en103

join:2011-05-02
reply to thegeek

I don't think Verizon Wireless was ever worried. I personally dislike VZW (more than AT&T Wireless actually ), so it doesn't make me feel much better (40% of VZW is actually not a 'home team', and 100% of T-Mobile ownership is not a home team).

Papageno

join:2011-01-26
Portland, OR
reply to en103

Well, I'm a current T-Mobile customer, both for prepaid cellular (they've got the best deal out there if you're an infrequent cell phone user) and prepaid mobile broadband (again, they have the best deal that actually delivers the goods--unlike VirginMobileUSA--at least for me), so I'm pretty psyched.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1
reply to en103

T-Mobile iPhone customers are getting a pretty good christmas present.

Reports are filing in that T-Mobile has activated 3g on the 1900mhz band in some areas.

more info here: »www.howardforums.com/showthread.···-HSPA-4G

(Mobile Network 260 is T-Mobile-USA)
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
-United States Secretary of Defense (1961-1968) Robert S. McNamara

TechWhiz

join:2004-10-30
Phoenix, AZ
reply to en103

said by en103:

T-Mobile will still be sold off or picked apart.

You remember all the people who said the AT&T/T-Mobile merger was a done deal? I wouldn't be predicting anything so soon.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to rit56

Now, we must block SOPA and PROTECT IP.

Amazing, isn't it?

GDougToronto

@192.75.118.x
reply to rit56

Ironically, USA has also lost some money: Verizon is paying Uncle Sam $2.6 billion LESS due to the tax write-off gained by paying T0-Mobile. The USA is in dire financial straits, and losing $2.6 billion of tax.

4.0 billion gross (breakup fee) minus 1.4 billion net (net cost to Verizon) means 2.6 billion is being saved somewhere. Bingo! That's by paying Uncle Sam less. The tax write off. Isn't the U.S. in financial stress these days? The U.S. just got "cheated" out on 2.6 billion, didn't they?

Read this again: Verizon is paying a foreign company $2.6 billion instead of patriotically back to ourselves (as taxes that can pay for infrastructure or pay down debt, etc). Ouch.

Although this is probably preferable (pick the lesser poison) than pairing up with T-Mobile.

So a corollary of this happenings, is the taxation laws are at least a wee little bit screwy too -- needs a bit fixing there, don't most people agree?

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01
reply to rit56

said by rit56:

Victory!!!!!

Once Obama is out of office, it will come back

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1
reply to GDougToronto

said by GDougToronto :

Ironically, USA has also lost some money: Verizon is paying Uncle Sam $2.6 billion LESS due to the tax write-off gained by paying T0-Mobile. The USA is in dire financial straits, and losing $2.6 billion of tax.

4.0 billion gross (breakup fee) minus 1.4 billion net (net cost to Verizon) means 2.6 billion is being saved somewhere. Bingo! That's by paying Uncle Sam less. The tax write off. Isn't the U.S. in financial stress these days? The U.S. just got "cheated" out on 2.6 billion, didn't they?

Read this again: Verizon is paying a foreign company $2.6 billion instead of patriotically back to ourselves (as taxes that can pay for infrastructure or pay down debt, etc). Ouch.

Although this is probably preferable (pick the lesser poison) than pairing up with T-Mobile.

So a corollary of this happenings, is the taxation laws are at least a wee little bit screwy too -- needs a bit fixing there, don't most people agree?

There's so much wrong with your comment, I don't even know where to begin.

I assume you're mixing up Verizon and ATT - no problem. But the write-off is due to ATT incurring losses due to expenditures on the merger. Every company in the United States is allowed to write-off losses. This is nothing new. It only sounds crazy because it's either:
a) such a large amount
or
b) you don't understand our tax system in the very least.
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
-United States Secretary of Defense (1961-1968) Robert S. McNamara

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ
kudos:2
reply to rit56

Agreed!! Victory ....... for now