uniqs
share rss forum feed

The Antihero

join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA
reply to psafux

Re: [Spam] Is this even legal?

said by psafux:

My understanding is if you voluntarily give your name to a company or have a prior relationship with them, they are allowed to contact you for marketing/advertising purposes.

Understood. But I didn't give them my name, my friends did. I told my friends it was OK, but the company has no way of knowing that. Sounds like they could be in some legal hot water if someone would list someone as a reference without their permission.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by The Antihero:

said by psafux:

My understanding is if you voluntarily give your name to a company or have a prior relationship with them, they are allowed to contact you for marketing/advertising purposes.

Understood. But I didn't give them my name, my friends did. I told my friends it was OK, but the company has no way of knowing that. Sounds like they could be in some legal hot water if someone would list someone as a reference without their permission.

Probably true, but if you made a stink they'd likely: 1) Tell you to take it up with the person that gave them your name. "After all, how could WE know it was without your permission?"; 2) Drop you off their call list, call it all a big misunderstanding and be done with it.

I'd write to them telling them to take you off their list and let it go unless/until you keep getting those calls. At that point you'd have some legal standing.