uniqs
share rss forum feed

habya
Premium
join:2003-05-29
Huntsville, AL

1 edit

[Rant] Comcast - first time user

Moved to an apartment which only offers Comcast (unfortunately). Was a happy camper with Knology for many years.

Very disappointed with the entire setup process.

- Order service over the phone, no problem it seemed. Appointment confirmed for 2:00-5:00pm (clearly stated by rep and also in e-mail received).

- Take day off from work to make sure I could be available. Get to apartment around 1:30pm and wait for them to show. 5:00 rolls around and no show.

- Call Comcast who inform me it was a 1:00-3:00pm appointment. I read them the e-mail and they didn't give a damn. Check my back door and find a note that the tech showed up much earlier.

- Ask support if I can go pick up the boxes and do it myself. To which they said that was absolutely ok to go pick up the boxes for self install.

- Take off early to get boxes. Wait in line for ~1 hour (5 slots, but only 2 people working...). Rep there tells me I can't pick them up because it needs to be activated at the pole...I inform her that I setup my internet just fine without needing anything to be done, to which she says that can't happen because it's at the pole. Suppose I was imagining the internet connection and modem activated on my account.

- We setup a new appointment time for 2:00-5:00pm again today. Come 5:00pm no tech, no call. Contact Comcast who assures me tech is on the way. 6:00pm no tech...finally 7:05pm tech shows up.

- HD/DVR box installed which was missing some buttons and the power button didn't even work. HDMI also didn't work right.

Second box installed. Seems to be ok, HD etc all work.

- About an hour later get a Your DVR is not authorized message. Call again, wait on hold 15 minutes (not bad). Go through the normal reboot box etc etc. Now I'm supposed to take yet more vacation time for them to come fix that.

And what do they offer for all the wasted time? A whopping $20 credit...gee thanks now I can go buy some McDonald's while watching live TV since my DVR is broken already (less than 3 hours).

Edit: The tech who came today was very nice and helpful, just wish somebody at Comcast could get their act together. Given a choice would never go through them again (don't even want to start what it took to get my mothers account straight a while back).
--
HABYA HABYA HABYA TEAR DOWN THE HEMP STALKS EAT UP THE OLD MAN AND WOMAN AND CARRY OFF THE LITTLE GIRL MAY YOU DIE ALONE

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

I could write a short novel on my experiences in the past 10 some years.

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA
reply to habya

Not surprised; Comcast ranks #4 in The 18 Most Hated Companies in America

#4 Comcast
Satisfaction rating: 59/100
Complaints include poor communication of upgrade and billing changes, lost channels for customers who didn't upgrade to digital box or digital-ready TV, long waiting times for technicians and price hikes.
ASCI lists Comcast as a cable company (59/100) and a telephone company (69/100). In both cases it scores among the worst.
Rating provided by ACSI.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to habya

I don't have cable at all anymore (got an OTA antenna) but I had Comcast for many years when I lived in Florida and I am shaking my head at your rant with sorrowful familiarity.

Comcast's TV side of the business was so massively disorganized that it drove me crazy. Every few months there would be billing irregularities that I'd have to call and have fixed, and invariably when the CSR would "fix" them, I'd lose service on one of my tuners or some other interruption would occur. I was also paying twice as much as I should for HD DVR service; the local office said their billing system was so inadequate and out of date that the only way they could provide service on both of my DVR's tuners was to charge me for two DVRs. I got Comcast corporate involved and they even told the local office that this wasn't correct, but the local guys claimed to have no control over it. I put up with it, for a while.

The only reason why I even went through that at all was because I had to buy my own TiVo DVR. I was in a Scientific Atlanta equipment area and the DVR software was so completely out of date that it was nearly useless -- program data for only five days in the future, no program search capability, four-color "CGA" aesthetic on the onscreen displays, recordings that would magically stop in the middle of a show, on and on. Of course when I had the TiVo set up, the tech who came out (after two missed appointments) had no idea what to do, so I actually borrowed his phone and talked to the head end myself until we got it working.

I was much happier with the Internet side of Comcast's business, but I did often suffer dropouts at random times which everyone at my office referred to jokingly as "Comcast moments". (I telecommuted and whenever I'd drop out of a call or meeting, they all knew why).

Frankly, after all that, not having cable TV service today is a relief.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

habya
Premium
Huntsville, AL
reply to habya

Ok, and now they were supposed to have a tech come yesterday to resolve the DVR issue. No tech and no call.

Called back, went through the same crap of unplug the DVR, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in. Still didn't go. Another promise for a tech to come out...I won't hold my breath on that.

I think it's time to ditch this garbage and go without TV again. Just glad I didn't sign up for the online special that required a 2 year agreement.
--
HABYA HABYA HABYA TEAR DOWN THE HEMP STALKS EAT UP THE OLD MAN AND WOMAN AND CARRY OFF THE LITTLE GIRL MAY YOU DIE ALONE

Expand your moderator at work

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to banditws6

Re: [Rant] Comcast - first time user

said by banditws6:

Comcast's TV side of the business was so massively disorganized that it drove me crazy.

Seriously. Ordered business cable and sales rep assured me I didn't need an STB TO GET CNN. Comcast came and installed an STB. I called 800-COMCAST and I asked "do I need an STB to get CNN" and they told me no, so I told them to come and take it and wire the TV directly. They came, stole the box and didn't wire the TV. I called Comcast again and they still couldn't wire the TV but they left cable and compression fittings so I could do it myself. I wire the TV and there's no CNN. I call Comcast back only to discover the box the tech took was still on the account and showing as online (connected somewhere) in their system. They tell me I need an STB TO GET CNN.

Then I talk to the only person at Comcast who knows something. He fixed all the account issues like adding the bundle rate (TV + internet) the sales rep didn't/"couldn't" do. He tells me the TV plan we ordered DOES NOT HAVE CNN.

The online listings are 100% wrong. I lookup a station there and when I go to the channel I get the music choice. And despite our plan not having CNN I can watch CNN just fine, but CNN HD gives a not authorized message.

There is no way they could be any more disorganized than they are already.
--
PRescott7-2097

number2

join:2009-01-22
Ogden, UT
reply to habya

lol. Another Comcast rant.

Nothing but mass marketing gimmicks of praying on the stupid and ignorant. They over promise and can never come close to delivering. With their decade old TV equipment and employees lacking any finesse, they just need to shut up and give up.

habya
Premium
Huntsville, AL
reply to habya

Just wish there was another choice here besides Comcast. The only other real alternative is to sign a 2-year agreement with DirecTV and get slow as crap DSL (3 mbps).

And once again I called last night to see about that supposed tech to replace my DVR. Was told that the rep wasn't able to put in a time in the system so he would have them call me this morning (around 8-9am). It's noon and still no call and still no tech in sight. Is it so hard to replace a box and make sure it works? Guess I'll have to go stand in line for another hour to try and pick one up myself.
--

habya
Premium
Huntsville, AL
reply to habya

Well, that sordid affair didn't last long. Finally told them to just cancel the damn TV and will use internet only for now from them.

No call back as they promised. Called them and was informed the office has a replacement for the box and I could go down and exchange. Get down there, once again wait in line 45 minutes (only 2 people seem to work there). Get to the counter and was informed that they don't have any replacements and won't have them for a while. Oh and also don't get a credit for the DVR not working since I still had the box, HD service, yadda yadda. That was the last straw.

It's amazing how incompetent that company is. If you're thinking of signing up for them...do yourself a favor and DON'T!
--